| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Changing valve stem seal  (Read 137 times)
matra530

« on: October 08, 2018, 01:48:08 pm »

Hello,

Im new to your forum. My Name is Andreas and Im driving a Murena 2.2 since 2000. When I bought the car, there was much to do.  Now I had a long time many fun with my car, but now it needs a little bit more attention. When the engine is warm and I have to stop for a while I blast a grey cloud out of the exhoust.
I think, that the valve steam seals are to hart after 18 years an I have to change them again.
But now I would like to it without removing the engine again. Did somone of you managed to do that?. Ive checkt a few tools for this work, but they did not fixed with the head from the 2,2 or they needed more space.
It would be greate if someone from you will have a good idea for me.
Please excuse my terrible english. Last english lesson ist 30 years ago.

Matra530
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 11:27:25 pm »

Hello,

Im new to your forum. My Name is Andreas and Im driving a Murena 2.2 since 2000. When I bought the car, there was much to do.  Now I had a long time many fun with my car, but now it needs a little bit more attention. When the engine is warm and I have to stop for a while I blast a grey cloud out of the exhoust.
I think, that the valve steam seals are to hart after 18 years an I have to change them again.
But now I would like to it without removing the engine again. Did somone of you managed to do that?. Ive checkt a few tools for this work, but they did not fixed with the head from the 2,2 or they needed more space.
It would be greate if someone from you will have a good idea for me.
Please excuse my terrible english. Last english lesson ist 30 years ago.

Matra530

Yes we've changed the inlet valve seals recently with the cylinder head still fitted, using a Snap-on tool I've had for many years.  It's a CG90 I've used many times.  We couldn't get at the exhaust valve seals as easily so didn't try to change them since it's less likely they will be causing the oil ingress.

Consider when the exhaust valves are open the exhaust gasses are pushing out and would more likely push the oil back, but when the inlet valves are open the air/fuel mixture is being drawn in and oil can be drawn in past poor valve stem seals too.

Once we had changed the inlet valve seals (and found one broken up) the engine ran fine with no more oil leaking in and causing smoke out of the exhaust.

Make sure you have good new valve seals before you start the job.  See my website for both a warning and information.

Roy
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 11:32:15 pm by roy4matra » Logged

matra530

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:04:22 am »

Hello Roy,

thanks for answering. Ive tried to work with some similar tools. But they were a litte bit to big. I will looking for your tool. Do you still own the tool? would it possible to you to send me the dimensions from it?

Ive got inlet valve seals from the Peugot Turbo. Part Number 0956.14. Looking much more better then the valve seals, Ive bought last time.

The work will be terrible, but it is important. I dont like the car driving with this cloud behind me.

Matra530
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 04:16:23 pm »

--
Yes we've changed the inlet valve seals recently with the cylinder head still fitted
---
Roy
Hello Roy.
Can that be done the same way on a Lurena 2.2?

Matranaut par excellence Cool
matra530

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 04:37:50 pm »

Didnt we talk about the 2.2?
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 03:41:25 pm »

Didnt we talk about the 2.2?
I think I got confused by your  matra530 name.  Cheesy

matra530

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 08:11:54 pm »

Sorry,

that is right. This is a project without time... Enough to do with one car.  Grin
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 02:48:06 pm »

--
Yes we've changed the inlet valve seals recently with the cylinder head still fitted
---
Roy
Hello Roy.

I presume you meant Murena 2.2 jon.  Wink  Yes with this tool you could probably do many engines, although I've only done a few.  If you haven't seen the tool, it is worth checking it out although I'm not sure it's still available now.

Roy

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 05:48:10 pm »

--
---
Roy
Hello Roy.

I presume you meant Murena 2.2 jon.  Wink 
---
Roy
Ah auto-correct bites again.  Cheesy

Anyway, I wish I was still able to do the work needed. Sad

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: