| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Removing Doors  (Read 3826 times)
murramor

« on: November 08, 2018, 08:33:26 pm »

Has anybody ever taken the doors off?  My driver's door has sagged so the swage line is not aligned with the one in the rear panel.  I would also like to paint the door and and hinge assembly to give it a factory fresh look.  It looks easy enough to knock the roll pins out but the door skin will be in the way of the front lower one because it curves under the pin.  I was wondering whether there is a way of removing the hinges from the inside of the door perhaps?

Ron Murrell
Sydney, Australia
speed pete

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 10:25:19 pm »

first you have to get out the pins, the lower one goes up , easiest way is to take a long M5 dreadend, put it through the hole of the pin and bolt a screw < 8 mm on the lower end. Then put a tube  > 8 mm inner side on the top, add a screw and the pin will come out when you fasten this screw.
Done this, you can screw out the hinges, for these hinges are bolted on the door ; but......often very rusty inside, so they won't come off easely. use a lot of WD40 and take your time on it!
When you get them loose, you can align the end of the doors.
You also have to renew the pins they are 8 mm.
Often the rubber cable protector between the doors and the chassis is gone, now is the time to renew them, the ones you will find on a BMW 3 series are usable.
good luck.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:40:51 pm by speed pete » Logged
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 09:22:54 am »

Has anybody ever taken the doors off?  My driver's door has sagged so the swage line is not aligned with the one in the rear panel.

Actually the door may not have dropped, unless you can see that the door shell is damaged where the hinges mount.  The problem is that the hinges were welded to the metal chassis and on the drivers side they were slightly out of line right from the start!  Take a good look at many of the press release photos and you will see the drivers side didn't line up even right at the beginning!  The way Matra got around the problem was to pack out the lower hinge mount to lift the door!  Mine (a 1982 car) had a number of the same packing shims fitted as used elsewhere on the car (the boot locks for instance) to bring the door and swage line level.

I would also like to paint the door and and hinge assembly to give it a factory fresh look.  It looks easy enough to knock the roll pins out but the door skin will be in the way of the front lower one because it curves under the pin.  I was wondering whether there is a way of removing the hinges from the inside of the door perhaps?

You need to knock the lower pin out, upwards.  I replaced my pins some years ago and did it that way.

As 'Speed Pete' says, I would not attempt to release the hinges from the doors with the doors still on, after all this time, unless you find the screws turn easily.  Better to remove the pins, and then work on the door hinge mounts with the door off.

Those spacers are 'E' shaped so you only have to slacken the screws and you can then slide them into place, past the screws, before tightening them again.

Once you have aligned the door, don't forget to lift the anchor pin where the door catch locks!

Roy

murramor

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 01:08:50 pm »

Thank you both.  I now have the confidence to give it a go!

Ron Murrell
Sydney, Australia
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 09:03:47 pm »

Some pics.
We made the E-thingy's ourself. hingpins are universal to find 8x70mm

Slight damage at the B-pillar

Greetings Herman

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: