| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cooling system  (Read 4592 times)
matramurena

« on: October 19, 2019, 03:36:56 pm »

Hi!

Does anyone have a schematic of the complete cooling system in the Murena?

I want to make some modifications and am wondering if there is more use to the little hose going from the radiator to the expansion tank other then bleeding the system when there is air in it? I would like to just remove this hose and open the connection at the radiator by hand in the case I might need to bleed the radiator. Any thoughts on this?

1983 Matra Murena V6 (AR engine)
2003 Matra Avantime 2.0T Expression
2003 Matra Avantime V6 Privilege
GP

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 04:17:07 pm »

http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php/topic,3110.0.html
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 07:48:47 pm »

Amen! Smiley

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
matramurena

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 08:43:04 pm »

Thanks, that's a good thread.

The question I still have is if the small hose from the radiator to the expansion tank is neccesary as a means for coolant to flow into the tank when there is expansion in the system or that it is only used for bleeding the system. If it is the later then I could simply remove it and bleed at the radiator itself.

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 05:41:30 pm »

Thanks, that's a good thread.

The question I still have is if the small hose from the radiator to the expansion tank is neccesary as a means for coolant to flow into the tank when there is expansion in the system or that it is only used for bleeding the system. If it is the later then I could simply remove it and bleed at the radiator itself.

It is only there for bleeding the system when filling.

You can't 'simply' remove the hose at the radiator for bleeding, as there is no access to it, unless you take the front floor out!

Roy

matramurena

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 09:50:14 pm »

So far, after owning the car for 19 years I had to bleed the cooling system just once. After I installed the Alfa engine. So I am not too concerned about having to take out the front floor for bleeding the system. Wink

I have to get the floor out anyway to repair the lighting system, so that would be a good time to change this as well. Guess I will guide the hose through the floor and put a small collector tank there (assuming there is a pressure releave at the radiator) to catch eventual spilling. This way I could use this hose as well if I should need to bleed the system.

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 05:32:15 pm »

So far, after owning the car for 19 years I had to bleed the cooling system just once. After I installed the Alfa engine. So I am not too concerned about having to take out the front floor for bleeding the system. Wink

I have to get the floor out anyway to repair the lighting system, so that would be a good time to change this as well. Guess I will guide the hose through the floor and put a small collector tank there (assuming there is a pressure releave at the radiator) to catch eventual spilling. This way I could use this hose as well if I should need to bleed the system.

Unless the radiator was changed for something different when the Alfa V6 was installed, the standard Murena radiator does not have any pressure relief fitted.  It simply has the top and bottom inlet and outlet connections plus that bleed point at the top right.

Also I may have been wrong in my previous posting because there is some circulation back to the header tank via that bleed hose when the engine is running as can be seen if you watch it carefully.  So if you disconnect it entirely I would monitor things carefully until you are sure it is not having any detrimental effect.

Roy
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 05:37:11 pm by roy4matra » Logged

matramurena

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 10:11:34 pm »

Yes, I noticed it is not just a pressure releive when I took out the insert where the spare tyre goes. It is a simple hose going straight to the tank in the back. (actually via a hard-plastic tube onto which the rubber tubes on either end were connected without any clamps)

I cannot see what purpose the flow in this small hose would have so I will just plug the hose off at both ends and see what the temps do. I have decided to be sure I can place the old tank back however in case something weird happens with the temps.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: