| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shore A grade engine mounts.  (Read 3323 times)
Oetker
YaBB God

« on: November 27, 2019, 09:06:46 pm »

Around 2008 I bought myself a after market new lower engine-mount right side because the old one was warned
I mounted the thing and ever since I have a annoying rumble and lot of vibrations.

I'm gonna change it for someting else more softer.
I found one that can fit with slight adjustments but I want to make some bij mijself.

To mould one myself I need to know the Shore A grade.
I have the idea that it's something around Shore AH 45-55 .
Also I need to know where the holes in the rubber are situated.
Logic would be that the heavy part of the engine should rest on the massive part of mount on the other side there is more flex if it is mounted with the havy point resting on the holes.
I have several images of this mounting but the holes are in all kinds of positions.
Is the old one (first picture) above in the right position?
I posted about it some years ago but still have no clue.
Any ideas?

Herman
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 10:13:49 pm by Oetker » Logged

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 04:06:36 am »

Around 2008 I bought myself a after market new lower engine-mount right side because the old one was warned
I mounted the thing and ever since I have a annoying rumble and lot of vibrations.

I'm gonna change it for someting else more softer.
I found one that can fit with slight adjustments but I want to make some bij mijself.

To mould one myself I need to know the Shore A grade.
I have the idea that it's something around Shore AH 45-55 .
Also I need to know where the holes in the rubber are situated.
Logic would be that the heavy part of the engine should rest on the massive part of mount on the other side there is more flex if it is mounted with the havy point resting on the holes.
I have several images of this mounting but the holes are in all kinds of positions.
Is the old one (first picture) above in the right position?
I posted about it some years ago but still have no clue.
Any ideas?

Herman

Not sure why Herman but your images don't load so I cannot see what they are.  Are you sure the links are correct?  Also you do not say, but I assume you are talking about the 2.2 engine, not the 1.6?

One thing I will say is that the gaps or holes in the mounting are not at the sides with the rubber at the top and bottom.  They are at an angle, as I assume they are positioned to take up the forces under acceleration.  I believe the rotational position of the mounting is critical for it to work correctly.

Roy
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:23:21 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 10:34:20 am »

I update my pictures to another server.
Google made the URLs to long so with the limit of 1000 characters ther was no room for the story.
I used a URL shortener but that works part-time or so.

This is how the old one came of.
it's probably the original.
I didn't know if it was already replaced once so I was not sure if it was mounted right.

On advice of a clubmember I mounted the new aftermarket (2009) this way.

The shore A-grade of this after market produkt is, I think, to high.
This mount gave me a lot , and I mean a lot, vibration and rumble in the car.
Mounted it several rotation points and one or another position geve less rumble but vibration stayed.

I found a few NOS replacements form another French car (Note:The seller couldn't tell me what car) that can fit with slight modifications (Note: the OD = 68mm, drill the hole bigger and cut a bit from the side mounting point).
It feels a lot softer then the new one and I think it feels right.

I ordered a Shore meter to verify some things.
The figures must be right to get the job done right after the years of vibrations that annoy me.
Therefore the mount must be in the right position first.

Herman
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 10:08:10 pm by Oetker » Logged

MatraIan

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 04:22:54 pm »

Hello Herman
I attach 2 images of my 2.2 mount. Before and after cleaning, but the rubber was not removed. As far as i am aware it is original although i have only owned the car since 2004.
Your images were there last week, i saw them when you first posted.
If i remember correctly they look like the same position asmine, not as you might expect with the solid bit vertical.
If anyone else has an image and it is the same i would suggest this is the correct position.
Regards Ian 

Murena 2.2 S Red 1984, Rover 600 ti, BMW 1 coupe M sport. Mercedes C class CGI sport
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 09:44:26 pm »

Ok that looks the same and I found some pictures where it is mounted the same way.
More confirmation would be great.

The car is of road til 1 march due of our great tax system so I can't work on it for the next 3 months,
I 'm kicked  out of my parking place this week.
The landlord found a sucker that payed more.
The car is dry inside since 1990 with some small intervals, I like it to stay that way so I had to move it.

Herman.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: