| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: GRRRRRR...broke down again!  (Read 12647 times)
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« on: December 09, 2006, 10:36:31 pm »

My car broke down again!!

I think it is the ignition amplifier, so I will have to source one of those.

I am getting well known to the local recovery service round here!!
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 12:23:40 am »

I think it is the ignition amplifier, so I will have to source one of those.

Sorry to hear. 

In my 11 years of ownership I have often heard the ignition amp accused of breakdowns, but it is my belief that it really rarely is. However, distro/coil/leads more often are.

But at least I'm sure the recovery-people are smiling at you ? - and you get a chance to brush off your explanation-story when they ask: "What car is this?! - is it a kit-car?" :-)

And you can also look at it in the way that you actually get somethging for your AA or whatever membership ? :-)

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 12:25:42 am »

Really? Well, the coil has been replaced, as has the dizzy cap, rotor arm and plugs.
I'll try the amp and if not, try some leads.

The guy today knew what it was, but described it to his more ignorant mate on the phone as looking like a Pontiac Fiero!

The bruises should heal within the week...
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 08:17:11 am »

Pontiac Fiero!
Most likely because its red  Grin.
Tricky Dicky

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 11:23:26 am »

What exactly is the fault? As I had and have a similar sort of problem I believe?
 I also changed the coil and the the amplifier to find that it was the 25 amp fuse protecting the main circuit ie coil was not connecting well hence I would be running fine one minute and bugga me lose my engine dead as a do do. I now have the heater on and if the heater stops working along with the engine I know I have to fiddle with the fuse and everything is sound.
Hope
Tricky Dicky
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 04:12:59 pm »

Where is this fuse?
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 05:54:35 pm »

Right, replaced the ignition amplifier (4 of them, on the shelf, listed under Matra Murena at my local car spares shop!!), took the car out for a good half hour thrash and all is well.

So I've replaced the coil, ignition amp, dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs, auxiliary belt. What else will go wrong with it and leave me stranded?

Watch this space...
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 07:46:43 pm »

Congratulations Macaroni! - excellent to hear that you're back on the road again!

and take comfort in that the Murena simple enough to make such repairs possible for the ordinary owners. :-)

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 08:31:06 pm »

Excellent news! Hooray!

But it's just a bit worrying that it has failed now, so shortly after you replaced the coil. As it's a solid state semiconductor device, it shouldn't really fail unless something goes wrong. Generally speaking, overheating is about the only thing that can kill a semiconductor.

I suggest you check that there are no short circuits anywhere around the coil, and also that the coil primary DC-resistance (over the + and - connectors) is roughly correct. The primary DC resistance should be about 0.85 Ohm, secondary 9.5 kOhm.

The other thing to check is the module's fixing to the aluminum plate and whether it was fitted with heat conductive paste. Was it removed and refitted when the coil was replaced?

It should be possible to check the surface temperature of the module with a wet/moistened finger (to avoid being burnt): It should only be moderately warm. Otherwise it is too hot. If it is hot, it will be good to check the temperature of the cooling plate - if that is much colder, then the module isn't fitted correctly and cannot dissipate the heat that it's producing.

But if all that is okay, then it has probably just failed from age - I have seen an example of an IC that suddently just gave up and melted down. It was sitting in an enormous 1969 computer system!

Best wishes,
Anders Smiley

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 08:45:06 pm »

Ah, interesting you should say that, because I haven't attached it to the aluminium plate, yet. I couldn't remove the screws that held on the old one, so just as a test, I plugged it in and left it dangling!!

I guess I will take it to a garage for them to remove the screws and fit the module correctly.

I'm not using it at the mo anyway, as my beloved 205 is getting some action.

On a brighter note, my clock is now beautifully illuminated!!
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 08:48:25 pm »

Ah, interesting you should say that, because I haven't attached it to the aluminium plate, yet. I couldn't remove the screws that held on the old one, so just as a test, I plugged it in and left it dangling!!

While it won't last (as you know), that's certainly a good test to prove the problem. The trouble "down there" is that there's so little space that it's not really possible to get a good grip around any tools. Obviously they fitted all that before fitting the engine when they built the car!

On a brighter note, my clock is now beautifully illuminated!!

Great! Good to hear! Smiley

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: