| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Looking for connecting rod bearing shells (Pleuellagerschalen) für 2.2 Liter  (Read 4047 times)
matra530

« on: December 28, 2020, 04:22:13 pm »

Hello und sorry for my terrible english again.
We´ve tried to change the valve steam seals. After removing the head, we´ve found small damages at the camshaft (is possibel to rebuild), the cylinders are nearly good (honing), etc. But I have trouble to find good connecting rod bearing shells (Pleuellagerschalen). There is a dealer in my country, but you don´t know the quality of the parts. I only want to a have parts from good sources. Do you have informations, how to find the right parts?
Greatings,
Andreas
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 01:23:57 pm »

Hello und sorry for my terrible english again.
We´ve tried to change the valve steam seals. After removing the head, we´ve found small damages at the camshaft (is possibel to rebuild), the cylinders are nearly good (honing), etc. But I have trouble to find good connecting rod bearing shells (Pleuellagerschalen). There is a dealer in my country, but you don´t know the quality of the parts. I only want to a have parts from good sources. Do you have informations, how to find the right parts?
Greatings,
Andreas

I can usually get new bearing shell sets in the U.K. but first I need to know the size required.  If you are overhauling a 2.2 Murena engine, the crankshaft will often need a regrind and therefore undersize bearing shells.  One size has become unavailable so it might be you would have to grind a little more off than necessary to use the next size available.  So contact me using my domain email roy@matraclub.org.uk (not here) and we can discuss what you need.

Roy
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 01:54:29 pm by roy4matra » Logged

matra530

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 01:54:06 pm »

Hello Roy,
thanks for your help.
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 12:51:59 am »

Well Roy That was before Brexit
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 10:39:24 am »

Well Roy That was before Brexit

I don't see Brexit as being a problem for us, sending a small item to one person.  Brexit regulations and paperwork are meant for manufacturers dealing in thousands or millions for general trading.  One to one personal mail is no different now to what has continued to be when sending out of or into the EU all these past years.  It's no different to sending a gift (in fact on the customs form you could classify it as a gift) to a friend.

Update:
It seems I may have been wrong, now I have read a little more of the situation, and even if it's a gift, if it is above a certain value (around £136) then you may have to pay to receive a gift, even if you paid nothing for it - which I think is an absolute travesty!

The situation over VAT is also unclear.  It used to be that buying or selling to another country, you were not charged VAT at purchase as you would pay VAT in your own country on import.  Similarly buying in your own country to sell abroad meant you were VAT exempt.  However, I have not yet seen this reflected in parts prices in Europe if I wish to buy here in the U.K. but I haven't tested the situation yet.

Roy
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 12:40:08 pm by roy4matra » Logged

matra530

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 08:10:32 pm »

More difficult than the Brexit is to find the parts for my engine...

All I need ist the zero (baisc) size for the 2.2 engine.

crankshaft main bearing
axial end disks (Axialanlaufscheiben)
piston ring set
large end bearing set

My problem is, that I can´t find any acial end disks in Gerany and all other parts are von no name producers.

I´ve tried all well known producers of this parts, but no one could say me, if there are any parts in there programm which will fit.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 03:14:35 pm »

More difficult than the Brexit is to find the parts for my engine...

All I need ist the zero (baisc) size for the 2.2 engine.

crankshaft main bearing
axial end disks (Axialanlaufscheiben)
piston ring set
large end bearing set

My problem is, that I can´t find any acial end disks in Gerany and all other parts are von no name producers.

I´ve tried all well known producers of this parts, but no one could say me, if there are any parts in there programm which will fit.

Do you mean thrust washers when you talk of Axialanlaufscheiben?

Simon Auto has the piston rings, main bearings and big end bearings in stock, according to his website.  I see he does not have stock of the thrust washers but I have some of those.

So between his stock and mine you can have what you need.

Roy

matra530

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 07:56:22 am »

Hello Roy,

that sounds good. It is right, that I´ve found many parts on Simons homepage. But my mechanic wants to know a bit more about the producer of the parts. That was than difficult. At last I was on the homepage from "mespiecesauto" and found parts for the N9T turbo version. Do you know the side and something about the quality of the parts?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 12:10:31 pm »

Hello Roy,

that sounds good. It is right, that I´ve found many parts on Simons homepage. But my mechanic wants to know a bit more about the producer of the parts. That was than difficult.

I have bought engine parts from Simon for years and rebuilt a number of 2.2 engines using his parts, with no trouble.  Those engines are running fine many years later.  I don't know who supplies him with his pistons etc. but they seem fine to me, and will no doubt come from a proper engine supplier such as Mahle maybe.  I don't see there being issues as anything faulty would have to be covered for their reputation, providing you have built the engine properly.

At last I was on the homepage from "mespiecesauto" and found parts for the N9T turbo version. Do you know the side and something about the quality of the parts?

I don't know the Mes Pieces website, but parts for a 505 Turbo should be good too, as they have to cope with more heat, stress and power than the naturally aspirated Murena version.

However, that gasket set they are showing, has the valve stem seals with the white Teflon or PTFE centres.  DO NOT FIT THESE WITHOUT A FITTING SLEEVE.  They will suffer as they go over the collet groove and fail soon after use.  I have a fitting sleeve if you require one - these are almost impossible to get now.

Roy

Matraman

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 01:47:32 pm »

Hello Roy,

that sounds good. It is right, that I´ve found many parts on Simons homepage. But my mechanic wants to know a bit more about the producer of the parts. That was than difficult. At last I was on the homepage from "mespiecesauto" and found parts for the N9T turbo version. Do you know the side and something about the quality of the parts?

To back up what Roy said, I used piston rings, big end bearings and main bearings from Simon when I rebuilt my 2.2 last year. It has done nearly 2000 miles since then without problems.
I had an issue when fitting the oil sweeper ring (hope that's the right name!), it was a different design from the original one and it broke while I was expanding it to fit it over the piston. I must have done something wrong! Fortunately the original sweeper was in good condition so I reused it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 01:52:37 pm by Matraman » Logged

Andrew
matra530

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 07:54:33 am »

At first thanks for your answers. I´m trying to translate them. But I have a problem to understand "FITTING SLEEVE" and google translation was noch very usefull till now.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 01:14:59 pm »

At first thanks for your answers. I´m trying to translate them. But I have a problem to understand "FITTING SLEEVE" and google translation was noch very usefull till now.

You should understand that when you fit a valve stem seal, you have to push it down past the notch in the valve stem where the half collects lock into, to hold the valve spring top retainer.  Now this notch can have a sharp edge, and as you push the seal down over this, it can put minor cuts in the seal or damage it such that it will fail soon after.

In older times the valve stem seal was soft and easily damaged.  So you always had a thin sleeve that you fitted over the end of the valve stem that went past this notch.  You then oiled the seal and slid it down the sleeve which would protect it as it past the notch and kept it safe from damage.  The sleeves are thin, reusable, and have to be the correct size for the valve stem, which in the case of the 2.2 engine (or any of the type 180 engines really) is 9mm diameter.

Today many valve stem seals are a stronger Nitrile type compound (often green or brown in colour) and providing the valve stem notch is not really bad, sharp and sticking out, with care you can fit the seal without a fitting sleeve and it won't be harmed, but as an older technician, I still prefer to use a fitting sleeve to protect the seals.  The problem today is getting hold of such sleeves as few people use them, many have forgotten them, and younger mechanics have not even been taught about them!

The next problem is that there are still older type soft valve seals being provided and these usually have a white centre because the compound is PTFE or Teflon and if you fit these you MUST use a fitting sleeve.  Unfortunately some of the gasket kits have these Teflon type valve seals, and they will be damaged when fitting without a sleeve.

I managed to get some sleeves recently, from America, so I can supply one of two if anyone requires one.

Roy
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 01:18:57 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: