| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1.6 no reverse drive.  (Read 2365 times)
Gib

« on: December 14, 2021, 06:17:29 pm »

I have finally got around to getting the  car legally on the road in the UK. We got ready to go to the MOT station only to find no reverse drive. I use the word drive rather than gear in a pointed way. I can select 1-5 with no issue and all have drive. When going into reverse using the gear lever the feel, throw/ action is the same as 2nd & 4th but no drive. This is the same if you remove the linkage rods and manually move the gearbox input rod, 1-5 all OK no reverse.
From the above I presume the reverse fork has lost its lock on the selector shaft ?
So does this sound plausible ,has anyone experienced this?
Does anyone have any good  diagrams?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 01:50:53 pm »

I have finally got around to getting the  car legally on the road in the UK. We got ready to go to the MOT station only to find no reverse drive. I use the word drive rather than gear in a pointed way. I can select 1-5 with no issue and all have drive. When going into reverse using the gear lever the feel, throw/ action is the same as 2nd & 4th but no drive. This is the same if you remove the linkage rods and manually move the gearbox input rod, 1-5 all OK no reverse.
From the above I presume the reverse fork has lost its lock on the selector shaft ?
So does this sound plausible ,has anyone experienced this?
Does anyone have any good  diagrams?

No, I feel it's unlikely to be the bolt that has come out on the reverse selector fork to the shaft, (and it would have had to come right out) for the fork not to move at all and the shaft slip through it.  The bolts have a spring washer which would prevent the bolt coming undone even if the fastening torque was a little low.  And as the bolt came undone, the selection of Reverse would have felt very poor as the fork moved about as it was not held tight to the shaft.

However there have been instances of a part breaking inside the box, preventing the reverse mechanism from working.  Here is a photo of one such break on another Murena. (the white paper was inserted just to make it clear where the break was)

In any event you are going to have to remove and strip the box, to find and rectify the fault.

Roy
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 01:58:00 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Gib

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 02:59:14 pm »

Thanks and GRRRRRRRRRRRR
Gib

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 09:09:41 am »

Snap ( Literally).

Selector 1 by creativeq, on Flickr
Gib

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 09:14:21 am »

Fortunately this has a Citroen part number on it and there are a few of these parts in mainland Europe for 30-50 Euro.

There was a significant amount of swarf on the drain plugs of the diff and the box so for the moment it will just get a replacement part new fluids and back together whilst i get a parts / complete box together for swapping out next year. At the moment the push is to get this MOT'ed so i can get it registered in the UK, drivability beyond on / off the MOT ramp is not required.
GP

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 11:11:45 am »

Well done on finding the fault. I wonder if Roy can predict horse racing results too? Grin
Gib

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 09:56:08 am »

All fixed and back up and running now.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: