| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: My Rancho  (Read 45630 times)
tmrancho2

« on: December 20, 2006, 07:39:49 pm »

This is how it arrived.

And this is how it looks now spot the difference.

Not done much to it since I got it really need a bit of encouragement to get started.

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 12:35:55 am »

need a bit of encouragement to get started.

Hey! - the Rancho is a true classic - IMO *that* car defined the MPV class! - the Espace (and/or Chrysler) came up with the one-box version of it, but the family-go-leasure multi purpose car-concept belongs to the Rancho.

Its a great car, - unfortunately made from rather vulnerable materials - which is such a shame, but that makes it even more important that you get your example roadgoing.

Just imagine belonging to an exclusive club of only 11 owners - I guess only the "Bugatti Veyron Owners Club" is smaller !

ps: nice new wheels Smiley

How's that for encouragement ? :-)

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 12:09:48 pm »

Hey! - the Rancho is a true classic - IMO *that* car defined the MPV class! - the Espace (and/or Chrysler) came up with the one-box version of it, but the family-go-leasure multi purpose car-concept belongs to the Rancho.

Really? What about the VW camper or 60s Fiat Multipla?

Anyway, they are very cool cars and any decent ones should be preserved. Well done that man.
tmrancho2

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 05:26:06 pm »

Its a great car, - unfortunately made from rather vulnerable materials - which is such a shame, but that makes it even more important that you get your example roadgoing.

Just imagine belonging to an exclusive club of only 11 owners - I guess only the "Bugatti Veyron Owners Club" is smaller !

ps: nice new wheels Smiley

How's that for encouragement ? :-)

/Lennart

Thank you Lennart any encouragement is helpful, but the wheels did come with it like that when I bought it.

I NEED to get it back on the road!!!!

Martin.

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 01:39:46 am »

[Really? What about the VW camper or 60s Fiat Multipla?
well, this can always be discussed - those were certainly also trendsetters.

However, the current "MPV" is more focused on the active family, using the car for all sorts of purposes, from fishing and picknicing to camping, transport or business meetings. As such, I find the Rancho to be the "mother".

/Lennart

Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 01:42:30 am »

the wheels did come with it like that when I bought it.
I just noticed that they are not the same that were on it, when you offloaded it from the trailer - so since you said "spot the difference", I though I'd got it.  :-)
But I see now that they are in fact in the boot of the car.

Anyway, - the winter will be a good time to start on restoration, so you can plan for a summer holiday in your nice Rancho. Go go go ! :-)

/Lennart
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 01:59:02 am by Lennart Sorth » Logged

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 08:51:23 am »

This year I saw my first Rancho and one thing that impressed me was the opening rear window - this feature is everywhere on todays SUVs and MPVs!

Another thing that struck me was how modern it looks even today.

I really hope you find the energy to restore your Rancho properly! It is a magnificent car and really unlike anything else from that age.

I own an Espace phase 1 - it too is unlike any other car on the road, but it's nowhere as rare as the Rancho is.

Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Will Falconer

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 11:29:51 am »

I agree. Compare it with the latest 'Tonka Toy' Range Rover Discovery and it looks very good indeed.

Incidentally one of our 'friends' refused to drive my daughter home up a narrow lane last night because she might scratch her new Discovery. AAAAGGH What is the problem with these people!
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 07:27:57 pm »

Hi
Nice to have another Rancho owner on this forum, I have felt a bit lonely Smiley
Your car looks nice and complete but on the picture of the car on the trailer I have noticed come rust in front on the rear wheel. This might be time consuming to fix as there are four layer of metal behind each other and normally you will have to replace them all. Attached is a picture of mine with this area on the right hand side cut open before welding. From the outside there was only a small hole  Angry.
In Denmark I have only knowledge of one Rancho plus my own as cars on the road. I know that some cars have been stored for later reiteration. I have myself take over some projects and two Ranchos I have cut up for spare parts, they were so rusty that it was unbelievable. When I walked around in the car I simply step through the floor!  Yes in a Rancho you can take a walk in the back of the car!

regards Hans
tmrancho2

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 08:56:58 pm »

Hi Hans,

Yes your not the only mad one on here!! Shocked

Thanks for putting that picture up have you got any more because that is exactly the area that mine has gone, I was going to take the axle out to gain access but it looks like I might be able to do it the way you have.

Martin.

P.S. your English is very good thankfully.

tmrancho2

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 09:14:25 pm »

This year I saw my first Rancho and one thing that impressed me was the opening rear window - this feature is everywhere on todays SUVs and MPVs!

I really hope you find the energy to restore your Rancho properly! It is a magnificent car and really unlike anything else from that age.

I own an Espace phase 1 - it too is unlike any other car on the road, but it's nowhere as rare as the Rancho is.

Anders

The opening rear window and drop down tailgate is the same as used on the Range Rover as the R/R was introduced in 1972 (I think) I wonder if they copied it?

And as you know the Espace replaced the Rancho, it was just that Talbot never had the money to go with it, in stepped Renault, and the rest is history as they say.

Martin.

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 11:02:11 pm »

Yes in a Rancho take a walk in the back of the car!

hehe - sweet.

Sort of the same rason the Rancho and Bagheeras are uniqe in that they become faster with age, as they carry less and less weight :-)

This is actually a quote from MEC member Peter Locke, who emailed me the first Bagheera owner picture for the matrasport website, back in 1995, at the same time claiming that this was the first time a Bagheera obtained lightspeed (email).

Extrapolating, his Bagheera must do incredible speeds today... ahem. :-)

Matra_Hans
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 11:37:43 am »

Hi
It will under any circumstances be a good idea to remove the rear suspension in order to have a closer look. The fixation points at the front will most likely look as the one on the attached picture. The picture is taken when the repair work has just been started.

ragrads Hans
tmrancho2

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 12:03:52 pm »

Oh! dear, yes I think you may be right, was it a difficult job taking the axle out?

Matra_Hans
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 10:11:03 pm »

With the right tools is not difficult. But at least in Denmark you will have to do a good job, as the inspection/MOT does not accept that you do any repair on the suspension part i.e. when you have finished the job the rear axel must look as new and unprepared.
I have seen 5 Rancho rear suspension and the one on the picture was one of the best!!

Regards Hans
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: