| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Central locking fault 1998 RT-X  (Read 9641 times)
Blackadder

« on: December 31, 2006, 10:50:18 am »

Hello there, I wondered if anybody else had seen issues with their central locking?
The car is a 1998 2ltr RT-X Auto. Using the IR remote to lock the car only some of the doors lock but the alarm is activated. The driver's side front and rear doors do not lock. Using the interior lock switch has the same effect - not all the doors lock.

I have checked the door locking motors and they work fine. Am I correct in thinking that all door locks are controlled by the BII computer? If this is the case, is their any chance of fixing the fault or is a computer change required??

Thanks all

Dave
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 01:06:51 am »

I would have pointed to the lock motors if you hadn't mentioned the fact that you HAVE checked them... that leaves the problem to be elsewhere.

My first thought is that it's probably bad connectors somewhere.  But you may be right about the computer. I am not sure, however, that your car (1998) has the central computer at all? If you open the fuse box in the passenger compartment, then you will be able to see. Cars with the computer has a black sandwich box like unit sitting in the middle. It bears a sticker with the word CAN on (along with lots of other words and numbers). The fuses are all assembled to the right.

Cars without this computer (I think all before 1999 or so) have only fuses and relays.

On the newer ones, I beleive that all central locking motors are driven from the same relay, except the rear door, which has it's own CAN bus controller. So if it's only the side doors that's causing trouble, then it's bound to be a wiring or connector problem.

If it's only the rear that is failing, then the problem is quite likely the fuse - and the rear wiper, plus rear fog lights will also not work. Number plate light will also be off.

I think you need to tell us definitely whether your car has the computer or not - I will then know which wiring diagram to check for you.

- Anders
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 01:09:30 am by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Blackadder

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 01:48:55 pm »

I've had a look in the fuse box and there is no computer fitted. The car is a 1998 model so it sounds like a pre-multiplex version?

There are a number of fuses which can be identified from the legend on the inside of the fuse box cover but there is no reference to the relays or their function. Would this be the only area to find the relays for the central locking? The only doors which don't lock are the drivers side (RH) front and rear.

This is a great forum by the way, loads of info to be gained.

Although we have had our fair share of issues with our current car we really like the design and drive of the Espace. So much so that we are picking up a new car next week - a 2001 Grand Espace Initiale 3ltr V6. Very excited about the prospect, just hope it's going to prove more reliable.

Dave
Blackadder

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 06:31:36 pm »

The central locking is now fully working!! Yipeee.

From within the car, switching the door lock switch I could hear a relay switching somewhere behind the dash. Four hours later after removing most of the front facia I managed to find it. The door locks are controlled by a small unit which also controls the interior lighting. (the position of the "black box" is directly behind the small recess on the RH side of the dashboard, the place where you put your sun glasses. To remove it you need access from directly above which means stripping out much of the facia)

Having found the controller it was evident that all five door locking motors were controlled by the same two wires leaving the box. This meant the fault was not with the controller itself. Sad

The final fault was found to be a broken wire between the door and the car body (within the loom that flexes when you open the door). Both the front and rear doors suffered the same fault on the same wire (the orange one)

The final fix only took 30mins with a soldering iron but an extra half a day to rebuild the facia. At least I know what's in behind there now...
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 07:47:06 pm »

Hi Blackadder, that was an interesting result you got there! I would also have suspected the control box.

There wasn't any wear visible on the other wires in that loom, was there?

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
TheJoker

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 08:47:50 am »

Blackadder - glad you got it fixed! Smiley

As you're stripped most of the interior off, do you know the answer to question 2) I posted here:
http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php?topic=261.0

I want to remove the panels so I can access 12V and put a bracket for my gadgets there. Smiley

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
Blackadder

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 02:10:17 pm »

I've had a look back at your post but could not find the attachment (on any of the posts) Is it the fabric covered panel to the right of the steering column you wish to remove?

Dave
TheJoker

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 02:16:31 pm »

Wonder why you can't see the attachment, it is there:
http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php?topic=261.msg1337#msg1337

It's the panels around the steering wheel. The one around the column, the one in front of the steering wheel, and the one next that panel which isn't the glove box... If that makes sense.

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: