| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Spax dampers  (Read 34578 times)
jos

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 08:08:31 am »

Very well. Hope you like the Gaz set. Please let me know by than.

Cheers
Jos
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 01:09:19 pm »

Final Price for the complete gaz suspention totaled some 5803 Dkr including vat and carrage... I expect to recieve it in about 4 weeks time, then I'll let you know how it workes out
Waldo

Diesel power :o)

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 09:55:57 pm »

Hi Krede...
I been way to busy for a long time, but know I'm hoping to finish my Murena 1.6 to 2.0 HDI conversion soon!
I'm starting to consider suspension setup, wheels and tyres and would love to hear some feedback from you?
I will probably need to have some height adjustment at the rear, as the HDI engine will sit a little different at the engine bay, though weight is pretty much the same. Also my standard 1.6 did sit slightly high at the rear before taking it all apart, and the new wheels and tyres will also alter the setup...

Anyone that have any input on using tyres as follows:
195/50-15
205/50-16
Reason is that I prefer same profile height and will need bigger diameter to suit the high tourque engine....

Kind regards,
Valdemar
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 11:20:18 pm »

Anyone that have any input on using tyres as follows:
195/50-15
205/50-16
Reason is that I prefer same profile height and will need bigger diameter to suit the high tourque engine....

I think it will be a good match, and you will not be going so wide that the camber will be a problem (which you might if you were going for 225's). Also you will be running with the same front to rear ratio as the car was originally built for.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 09:59:06 am »

Im still waiting for the kit to arrive... but Ill let you know how it works out  Smiley
But in while were wating... how about some pictures of that conversion ?  Grin
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:03:17 am by krede » Logged
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 01:59:09 pm »

This came with then mailman today... 2 weeks ahead of schedule

Needless to say... Im ecstatic  Grin
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 04:23:52 pm »

Congrats on getting your new toy! Wink
But this is with coilovers at the front, thought you were going to keep the torsion bars?
Tell us your plans...

- Anders Cool

Used to own:
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 05:09:50 pm »

It has a helper spring.. true... like the ones on the Tagora...
The torsionbars stay..
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 07:10:12 pm »

It has a helper spring.. true... like the ones on the Tagora...
The torsionbars stay..

The Tagora uses a single McPherson strut with coilovers either side, no torsion bars.

Okay I see now that the front springs are quite thin compared to the rears (thread diameter half or so?)...

How are you going to tune it in? I suppose there's som standard settings on the dampers, or? Remember that changing the ride height at the rear changes the camber too, so that might actually be a way to tune cornering properties. Are these things really legal on the road in Denmark?

- Anders
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 07:18:27 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

Used to own:
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 08:28:12 pm »

Im just gonna bolt it on and hope for the best Smiley
I wont change the ride hight... I never meant to!.. in fact that is one of the reasons I bought this kit.. that i dont have to lower the car to get harder suspention.

Is i legal... I have NO idea.... and frankly I have never given that a thought (perhaps I should have)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 09:45:20 pm »

Im just gonna bolt it on and hope for the best Smiley
I wont change the ride hight... I never meant to!.. in fact that is one of the reasons I bought this kit.. that i dont have to lower the car to get harder suspention.

They allow you to play a lot, so if you get a chance to get your car on a track a full day, try to set up a test programme to find the best setup for it.

Is i legal... I have NO idea.... and frankly I have never given that a thought (perhaps I should have)

Wasn't it Homer Simpson that said "It's better to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission"?? Cheesy

- Anders

Used to own:
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 08:47:19 am »

Wasn't it Homer Simpson that said "It's better to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission"??

Uhh that dosnt apply only to Mr.Simpson... In fact.. Its widely used in the Army aswell (especially the Us Army.... want an example.. Iraq?? Smiley .. well I guess they sort of asked for permission to invade.. but when they didnt get it they did it anyway... and now they want forgiveness... oh my...)

This tactic has also served me well with good old mom.... and various female "acquaintances".. though in the latter case the "forgiveness" part, can turn out very expensive!!!  Wink

Anyway.. back to topic.
I'll start out with the front dampers set to "stun" or in normal terms the softest possible...with the torsionbars still in place I figure I really dont need them any harder. (actually I will start with waiting until the snow is gone for good before instaling anything)

The rear should be more simple as the ridehight is easy to tell right away, and set the dampers using my backside as the "gauge"  Grin
After all Im not looking for race track handeling.

But, if oppotunety arises, It could be cool to bring it to the track and check out how it performs when pressed hard..

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 12:46:42 pm »

This tactic has also served me well with good old mom.... and various female "acquaintances".. though in the latter case the "forgiveness" part, can turn out very expensive!!!  Wink

Cheesy

This reminds me of a blog where someone wrote about an accident he had with his Elise, he thought the car was less forgiving for his taking it for granted than his wife was!

Anyway.. back to topic.
I'll start out with the front dampers set to "stun" or in normal terms the softest possible...with the torsionbars still in place I figure I really dont need them any harder. (actually I will start with waiting until the snow is gone for good before instaling anything)

The rear should be more simple as the ridehight is easy to tell right away, and set the dampers using my backside as the "gauge"  Grin
After all Im not looking for race track handeling.

There's an instruction to check the ride heigth in the workshop manual, I don't remember if you have that or not, if you don't, then I can copy the relevant pages. As I mentioned, the ride height directly controls the camber of the rear wheels (and is the only way to change that) so it's a good idea to get it roughly right.

But, if oppotunety arises, It could be cool to bring it to the track and check out how it performs when pressed hard..

I hope the Danish club (formand, vil du mċske tage teten?) will arrange something, possibly in coorporation with one of the other clubs. It really teaches you a thing or two about your car, especially when you - as I did - cross the border between control and loosing it as I did on a wet track back in August. I'd love to repeat that experience on new tyres and a dry track, and hopefully with an experienced Murena driver in the passenger seat Smiley

This year's meeting is set out for Fyn which has lots of narrow roads to run, but taking your car to the limit on the road is a silly idea IMO.

Trying the setup systematically on a track will teach you something about the effects of the various adjustments you can do. The track times (and improvements) will tell you something about what you have to play with. You have to plan the session though, trying out different settings.

- Anders

Used to own:
jos

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2007, 12:42:20 pm »

looks good to me Cool
hope they work out well !
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2007, 06:31:53 pm »

The Renault Alpine Club is normally inviting the Danish Matra Club to their annual meeting at a race track somewhere in Jylland.

Hans
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: