| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Saggy rear suspension when loaded - Should I worry?  (Read 9921 times)
TheJoker

« on: March 21, 2007, 11:37:33 am »

Guys,

I've now done a maiden voyage with the Espace and the bikes loaded up in the back. Looking at the car, it's a bit saggy at the back, but it drives well.

Should I be worried about the lowered rear suspension? Is there any way I can fix it apart from stiffer springs? (I remember being able to buy "air-bags" that you put in your coil springs and you could fill the bags with air to help the suspension)

I'm attaching a picture for you to see the "saggyness"  Cool

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
Will Falconer

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 04:42:56 pm »

I find the Grand Espace handling amazingly unaffected by loads in the back.

I used to have a GMC El Camino pickup with adjustable airbags. Being American it really needed it to retain any handling with a live rear axle.

I'd be more concerned about what that top box is doing for your fuel consumption. The Espace roof bars are there to look cool, not carry things Cool I sometimes carry bikes on my roof and it knocks about 6mpg off on the motorway.
TheJoker

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 04:55:09 pm »

I find the Grand Espace handling amazingly unaffected by loads in the back.

I used to have a GMC El Camino pickup with adjustable airbags. Being American it really needed it to retain any handling with a live rear axle.

I'd be more concerned about what that top box is doing for your fuel consumption. The Espace roof bars are there to look cool, not carry things Cool I sometimes carry bikes on my roof and it knocks about 6mpg off on the motorway.

I can believe that the El Camino didn't do well in the twisty section of the "track"... Wink

Sadly the roof box is a bit of a must have... After loading the bikes up, there's not much space in the car anymore.

See attached pictures - space in the car, and what gear we need to bring. In addition to that we need our normal "travel gear" - clean clothes, toiletries, gadgets, loading ramp, etc, and we also need to transport 2 exhausts per bike (one standard and one louder) in case we're not allowed to use the louder can. It all mounts up quite a bit.

... but I guess you're right - it'll add to the MPGs... I usually get 32 MPG doing my normal teeth-grinding-white-knuckled-commute, so a steady motorway pace shouldn't be too much worse than that, even with the roof box and the load... but we'll see... Smiley

Thanks!

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 12:34:31 am »

I usually get 32 MPG doing my normal teeth-grinding-white-knuckled-commute
Is that with the engine turned on ? 

I thought the V6 grand would only do this at the very best - not during a teeth-grinding-white-knuckled-commute. How do you measure it ?

PS: or maybe "teeth-grinding-white-knuckled" means you are pushing the car ? :-)

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 06:21:11 am »

I usually get 32 MPG doing my normal teeth-grinding-white-knuckled-commute
Is that with the engine turned on ? 

I thought the V6 grand would only do this at the very best - not during a teeth-grinding-white-knuckled-commute. How do you measure it ?

I'm sure it CANNOT do that.... but TheJoker's tagline lists 2.2 dCi Smiley Sounds more likely.

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
TheJoker

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 08:02:48 am »

That's correct, Gents - It's an oil burner!  Cool 32MPG diesel... and I don't calculate it - My engineer girlfriend does...  Grin  Roll Eyes

Will Falconer

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 10:45:19 am »

I can believe that the El Camino didn't do well in the twisty section of the "track"... Wink

It was easier to hang the tail out in the El Camino than the Espace, but I think the Espace probably can carry more weight...
TheJoker

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 10:55:36 am »

As all three experts have seen and replied to this thread - I'm assuming that a bit of a saggy bottom is nothing to worry about... nor should I worry about the car's compressed rear suspension...  Shocked  Wink  Cool

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 06:18:22 pm »

That's correct, Gents - It's an oil burner!  Cool 32MPG diesel.

Sorry, I had forgotten you have the dci (and as Anders pointed out, I am getting blind too :-) )  - everything falls into place now :-)

ties in with what we do in ours (which mainly does only 2 miles twice a day, so it takes a while before it needs filling)

/Lennart
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 06:19:58 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: