| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Removing trailing arms  (Read 23141 times)
LarsB

« on: April 10, 2007, 07:43:18 pm »

I am now regreting not taking my murena to a garage for changing the  trailing arm bushings.

The bolt going thru the inner bushing have rusted so badly i can not separete it from the inner metal tube of the bushing.
Any one have sugestions for removing this bolt?

the bolt going thru the outer bushing had to be sawed off, but for the inner bushing I really dont sea any way of sawing ( without removing the engine Roll Eyes Undecided)

Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:20:11 am »

Hi
Unfortunately this is the normal condition (I think). I had to saw off the ends of the bolts in my own Murena, this was done with an electric Makita hacksaw, I do not remember the details, but it was difficult and time consuming.
Once you have the trailing arms out of the car the next difficult task is to get the rubberbushings out as the have a metal tube outside which is corroded to the trailing arms.

One advantage of doing the job yourself is that you can grease the bolts with cobber grease, which will make it easier to remove the arms next time (a workshop will newer do this).

Keep up the good work.

Hans

Will Falconer

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 10:35:21 am »

If you cut the bolts between the bush and bracket, you can bend the bracket slightly to release the bush with remains of the bolt still inside.

Consider replacing bolts with stainless steel ones to make it easier next time. Smiley
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 01:22:09 pm »

I recall to have read that these bolts in fact were not even greased from the factory in the first place!
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 08:34:21 am »

You are not allowed to use stainless steel bolts in this place. The MoT inspector will not approve the use, as stainless bolts do not have the same strength as ordinary steel.

Hans
LarsB

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 09:56:19 pm »

You are not allowed to use stainless steel bolts in this place. The MoT inspector will not approve the use, as stainless bolts do not have the same strength as ordinary steel.

Then I wont tell him Lips Sealed

Did you cut the inner bolt of the right arm? Can not imagine how to get any saw to work in such tight space.

Lars Olav

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 11:22:52 pm »

You are not allowed to use stainless steel bolts in this place.
Really?!  - So many things on the Murena is designed to take loads much higher than the car will ever induce, so surely the dimension of bolts will be strong enough -  stainless or not ?

Modern cars however, have been "optimized" into being produced using the very minimal dimensions - driveshafts are like suction straws, and suspension bolts like safetypins. There I could see a problem.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Will Falconer

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 08:56:06 am »

You are not allowed to use stainless steel bolts in this place.
Really?!  - So many things on the Murena is designed to take loads much higher than the car will ever induce, so surely the dimension of bolts will be strong enough -  stainless or not ?

I recommend the stainless bolts purely because they don't corrode and seize in the bush. Yes I'm sure the originals are more than strong enough for the job.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 11:41:53 am »

.... and once it's all off and on again, give it a good rust protection - that will keep the stainless bolts hidden and prevent parts from rusting together.

Any progress on getting the arms off, Lars?

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 11:41:57 am »

Hi
Lars wrote:
Did you cut the inner bolt of the right arm? Can not imagine how to get any saw to work in such tight space.

As I remember I cut both ends of all 4 bolts but the job was done a few years back so I do not remember the details. But you can disconnect some of the engine mounts and move the engine around quit a bit.

regards Hans

PS I am in the Sudan for the next year, so I will be driving Landcruisers instead of Matras.
To my big surprise the internet connection from here is acceptable!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:17:01 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 02:16:18 pm »

PS I am in the Sudan for the next year, so I will be driving Landcruisers insted of Matras.
To my big surprise the internet connection from here is acceptable!

Cool, - you do get to travel quite a bit.

Sorry about the lack of Matra's, but you can enjoy the fact that your Internet service probably is better than what BT & friends actually *deliver* in the UK...

Have you installed a webcam overlooking your Matra-farm, so you can have a look when you miss it ?

/Lennart

Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 08:46:06 pm »

I suspect he just went to have new sets of upholstery cheaply made for the rest of his matras!!  Wink 
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 09:42:45 pm »

Hi
I have not yet checked the car cussion makers here in Khartoum, but I do need a roof lining for one or two Ranchos.
Hans

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 10:47:59 pm »

I rest my case... Cheesy
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 10:30:04 pm »

but I do need a roof lining for one or two Ranchos.
hmm - be advised that Camel wool is terribly scratchy
But of course, in a Rancho you have whats called headroom, - something we haven't heard about in its sportier sisters Smiley

However, how about some Persian floor mats ... Smiley

/Lennart

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: