| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Petrol tank straps  (Read 10256 times)
zac

« on: April 24, 2007, 01:22:37 am »

I was surprised to find that the petrol tank was about to fall out on my 2.2. Both lower straps had just about rusted through.

Might be worth getting your own car on a ramp and checking....

Zac

hoping to have a Murena on the road for the summer  Roll Eyes
LarsB

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 11:53:12 am »

Only one of mine Grin

will have to put in another order to simon soon.

davidewanprice
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 10:28:55 pm »

Just noticed the left hand strap on my car has totally broken, am i right in saying theres just two, looks like it may be hard work to fit, finally is it safe for me to run around in my car until i get another?
lewisman

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 11:43:01 pm »

I had a similar problem with my Bagheera and used a webbing strap as a temporary measure until I managed to source a replacement.
davidewanprice
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 01:21:43 am »

Ok ive removed the failing stap on the left hand side (drivers side) of the fuel tank BUT im really not sure what to order to replace the old straps as so im not sure how much was missing from the original strap. I noticed that this part was failing and when i removed it, most of the lower part was missing as it had rusted away... The old part was so corroded it fell to bits in your hands, but on matra magics site there are 4 lengths available and Will didnt know what length i needed.... Does anyone have any experiences in replacing these items? Im not even sure how these things bolt in on the underside of the fuel tank, im thinking that there are 4 pieces, right upper and lower, left upper and lower. But each are different in length. And im thinking that the lower bolts on to the chassis in the same way as the upper and they meet in the middle with a conecting bolt. can anyone lend their experience to me, many thanks, David
FOB

83 Murena 2.2

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 10:52:39 am »

Hi David.

You can see the parts on:

http://www.simon-auto.de/pdf/kapitel_03m.pdf   at page 25

- Finn  Smiley
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »

I was surprised to find that the petrol tank was about to fall out on my 2.2. Both lower straps had just about rusted through.

That's very common on a Murena (straps rusted through) and happened on my car many, many years ago.  I replaced mine with some that were from another vehicle so that they actually contained some metal! :-)  The originals were so thin even new that they were never going to last long...  And in case you are going to ask, mine came off a truck and I had to modify them, so they were not a straight fit.  You could almost as easily make some up from sheet metal.

However, as for the tank falling out, never!  Have you ever tried taking one out?  The tank might drop slightly once the strap has broken, but it would be impossible for it to drop out.  You shouldn't, but you could probably drive a Murena for years with the tank straps broken. 

Might be worth getting your own car on a ramp and checking....

Everyone should have checked these at least once a year at M.o.T. time!  And if an M.o.T. tester misses them, he's not doing his job properly!

hoping to have a Murena on the road for the summer  Roll Eyes

What?!  Is it not on the road now?  What is wrong now Zac? :-)

Roy

davidewanprice
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 10:56:18 pm »

Sorry Roy, i picked up on a thread that started a while ago so Zac may have sorted his issues. As for mine i ordered a replacement part from Will @ Matra Magic. But then I looked at the state of the remaining pieces and ordered the rest! Hopefully I'll fit them this week. Better safe than sorry and if im going to do a job then its worth doing well..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 03:08:29 am by Lennart Sorth » Logged
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:21:05 pm »

Sorry Roy, i picked up on a thread that started a while ago so Zac may have sorted his issues...

Ah yes, I didn't look at the date which I see is early '07.  As I had his car running Jan. '08 I thought this referred to this year.  Must look at the dates in future!

Roy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: