| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DVD and radio installation  (Read 11571 times)
orionbg

« on: April 30, 2007, 01:11:53 pm »

The problem is not in the loudnes of the unit! I'm sure that Renault (Matra) did very good job with the radio system! The problem is that I have a pile of MP3 Discs (CD/DVD) and I love to listen to them! Smiley
I'll try to find some way! maybe use the two players! First the delivery of the Espace then I'll think of something! Smiley atleast a week more!!! I can't sleep any more!!!  Grin
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 03:34:54 pm »

I can't sleep any more!!!  Grin

A true enthusiast Cheesy
Let us know when you get it and what your impressions are! And the family's. I remember when we got ours - it was back in 2003, we came from a Scénic, nice car, but the Espace was superior in all respects!

Regarding fitment of radio, I've got a bit of the same problem, as I'm looking at good ways to install DVD screens in the car (it makes wonders to the kids driving long jurneys) - the screens have their own speakers, but it would be nicer to use the radio as it is. The only good (?) solution is to fit an FM modulator. Another problem is where to fit the head unit, and how.

My current idea involves fitting foldable 9 inch screens in the roof, and dedicated DVD player in the mega box - mom or dad or whoever's in the front seat will operate that. We don't really need a screen in the front seat, but I'm afraid I'll have to fit one anyway as otherwise mom can't start the DVD properly. If so, then that could just be a small one.

I'm still planning and thinking, however.

- Anders Cool

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
TheJoker

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 06:05:44 pm »

Anders, keep thinking!! I've been toying with the DVD idea too, but for the front seat passenger. My idea revolves around an adjustable arm that keeps the screen hidden in the enormous glove box (hangar?!)... So when tucked away there's no visual clues about it, and when viewed it can be positioned in a comfortable angle without distracting the driver. (Remember we travel two people and the bikes in the back).
But I haven't found the foldable arm just yet... Smiley Roll Eyes

Cool

Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 2001 Silver
KTM 990 SuperDuke R Smiley
Dead: BMW K1200R
shawnvic

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 10:04:09 pm »

Anders, keep thinking!! I've been toying with the DVD idea too, but for the front seat passenger. My idea revolves around an adjustable arm that keeps the screen hidden in the enormous glove box (hangar?!)... So when tucked away there's no visual clues about it, and when viewed it can be positioned in a comfortable angle without distracting the driver. (Remember we travel two people and the bikes in the back).
But I haven't found the foldable arm just yet... Smiley Roll Eyes

Cool

what about this
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=532623             or goto scan computers home page and look at all monitor accessories
TheJoker

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 10:34:42 pm »

Yeah... something in that way... I've been looking at monitor arms, but most of them don't fold. I'd like something like the classic folding-arm-desk-lights... The search continues Cheesy

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 10:55:50 pm »

Yeah... something in that way... I've been looking at monitor arms, but most of them don't fold. I'd like something like the classic folding-arm-desk-lights... The search continues Cheesy

I like your idea! But how about this: http://www.conrad.de/goto.php?artikel=370440

Used to own:
TheJoker

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 12:40:50 am »

Sorry for the thread hi-jack!  Embarrassed

Yes... Those would be cool, but
a) The driver shouldn't really be watching a DVD...  Cool
b) They're still visible from the outside, I'd like 100% stealth.
c) You can't position them (it..?) as well as if you had an adjustable arm

... but if I can't find my special arm, I'll go for something like that. Or a completely portable unit that I can stick on the dash... we'll see...  Grin

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 06:38:25 am »

Sorry for the thread hi-jack!  Embarrassed

You are right - I have now split the thread as I think this is a fruitful discussion.

I understand your comment about hiding the installation, that is my biggest worry about installing screens for the rear seats and it's not something I'd like to drive around on everyday basis. Besides there's no need for it on daily driving - taking the children to/from school etc. The installation is specifically for the long jurneys, like the 1900 km drive we did some weeks ago to Provence over two days. Such a jurney with four children demands entertainment, and DVD is the best I know of.

We had a side window smashed about 6 months ago by someone wanting to steal our TomTom. Of course it wasn't in the car, but the thief couldn't see that - all he saw was the gooseneck mount it had on the dash, so he assumed that the unit was in the glove compartment and broke in to take the mount only. Needing the installation again for our vacation, I have made the installation removable - it can now be tucked away in the mega box complete with wiring for power and aerial.

I don't know how noticable the sun screens would be - I think they would be acceptible. And the driver won't use his when driving of course. I wouldn't even like my passenger to use his/her's while I'm driving, as I would find it difficult not to be distracted.

- Anders

Used to own:
TheJoker

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 10:07:48 am »

I agree completely, Anders. It's only for long journeys that I'd like the DVD too, so I, in theory, wouldn't mind a bit of strapping, cable pulling and generic installations once in a while. But, the most ideal for me, would be a permanent installation, with one screen, that's hidden completely. If the driver could have one screen, for say, waiting for ferries etc, that would be nice, but not a requirement.

The sun-screen-screens are indeed very nice. However, I'm a bit worried about the distraction for the driver they might give when the passenger is watching. You can't angle it in a good way... I presume. And naturally they're not completely tucked away.

If it were for the rear seat passengers then a "fitted" headrest would be the best, and then just simply use a headrest cover, to hide it in its day-to-day use.

Cool

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: