| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Grand Espace 2.2 dti rtx steering rack end pieces  (Read 6280 times)
jag

« on: May 18, 2007, 10:50:29 am »

I took my espace for it's mot last month and the mot inspector told me that there was some slight play in the rack but not that much  to fail . But he warned me next year it may not pass and that i would have to get it sorted prior to that any way. But he also said that the play doesn't neccessarily warrant a rack replacement, it may be due to the rack ends which are replaceable. He said that  it was the same on the Lagunas too.
Could anyone tell me what end he was on about, it wasn't the track rod ends but the ends on a rack. I have contacted him again but he doesn't know the exact description of these ends, he has informed me that I would have to make sure whether the play is in the whole rack or just these ends. Does any one know how I would go about this and is this topic covered in the JE Vault.  Any help would be most appreciated.
Mnay Thanks Jag

1999  Grand Espace 2.2 dTi RTX
2003  Peugeot 206 1.4 Hdi LX
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 11:49:41 pm »

I took my espace for it's mot last month and the mot inspector told me that there was some slight play in the rack but not that much to fail. But he warned me next year it may not pass and that i would have to get it sorted prior to that anyway. But he also said that the play doesn't neccessarily warrant a rack replacement, it may be due to the rack ends which are replaceable. He said that it was the same on the Lagunas too.

Could anyone tell me what end he was on about, it wasn't the track rod ends but the ends on a rack. I have contacted him again but he doesn't know the exact description of these ends, he has informed me that I would have to make sure whether the play is in the whole rack or just these ends. Does any one know how I would go about this and is this topic covered in the JE Vault.  Any help would be most appreciated.
Mnay Thanks Jag

This is quite common on Renaults and unless really excessive, it is not a failure item, only advisory.  The rack ends have a 'ball and socket' joint to the track rod arms.  i.e. the track rod arms have a ball end and are held in the socket at the end of the rack, to allow the articulation necessary.  The other end of the track rod arms have the track rod ends which connect to the hub steering arms.

There is slight wear in the ball and socket joint(s) which the M.o.T. tester has noted and advised as he is supposed to do.  The chances are that unless it is really bad now, or you do a lot of mileage on rough roads, it will still be passable next year, and he is over-rating the situation.  Renaults also tend to weep steering fluid, but again not enough to fail, and I have seen the same cars over several years and it is just the same - wet but not bad enough to fail, so don't be pressurized into doing unnecessary work.

If you take it to the same place next year and he want to fail it, ask to see the amount of wear, and unless really excessive, you can challenge him to a ministry inspection (which will usually result in a pass and advise as he is not going to fail it if it is marginal and if the ministry is going to check his work!)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 11:51:26 pm by roy4matra » Logged

jag

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 02:21:45 pm »

Many Thanks for that useful information Roy.
My steering feels fine and I cannot hear any noise or feel any excess play.
So hopefully it will stay that way for a while longer.

Cheers Jag

1999  Grand Espace 2.2 dTi RTX
2003  Peugeot 206 1.4 Hdi LX
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: