| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Whats the best way to raise the headlights without using all the fuel/battery  (Read 23191 times)
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 06:19:17 pm »

I know its probably not doing much good for aerodynamics, but thats not the point here :-)
You shouldn't be driving that fast at night anyway!!
davidewanprice
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 07:56:06 pm »

I'd not seen these conversions before and unlike some modifications i can see why, but ideally i'd like to keep it looking original, i do think it looks ok but I guess I’ve got used to it looking a certain way... even if its un-aerodynamic.. Now here a though, has anyone considered ditching the pop up lights and creating a glass panel, eg Alpine GTA.... guess the profile of the bonnet is too shallow.. 
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 08:01:53 pm »

I agree with Lennart, I rather like the way the big popup headlights look with the rest of the car. Little boys also like them Wink

lewisman

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 10:02:07 pm »

I prefer the standard murena lights but if I still had a Bagheera I would be interested in the conversion.... i never liked the concave Renault 12 light units.
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 01:46:56 am »

You shouldn't be driving that fast at night anyway!!

Indeed, but I've actually heard about owners who test their top speed at night, headlamps down to get that last speed ... 

Argument goes: "At night there is less traffic, i.e. safe to some extent"

(no names mentioned)

/Lennart
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 04:14:28 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 06:27:14 am »

Ind had mine up to 180 km/h.....It had more in it im sure but i lacked the moral fiber to push it any further  Cheesy
My ears were bleeding afterwards though... Wink
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 06:34:05 pm »

Ind had mine up to 180 km/h.....It had more in it im sure but i lacked the moral fiber to push it any further  Cheesy
My ears were bleeding afterwards though... Wink

Is that all! :-)  I've had mine flat out and since I also have a high 5th gear it pulls a genuine 218 kph.  The car felt fine but a little 'light'.  It was a totally empty motorway and I wouldn't normally take it above 180 kph at which it still feels firmly on the road.

However, back to the actual topic - as long as there is no vacuum in the system which will want to pull the headlamps down when they are switched off, you can simply pull the headlamps up with the emergency cable on the left of the steering column.  If you haven't seen it, now is the time to find it, rather than having to try when you need it on a dark night at the roadside!  If you do need to pull them up when the engine is running and therefore there is vacuum trying to pull them down, you will need to disconnect the vacuum pipe to the servo, and block it off.  So carry a suitable plug.

Roy
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 08:59:03 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 08:56:57 pm »

a genuine 218 kph. 

Now Roy, was this with headlamps up or down ? :-)

In my Murena I have only done slightly over 200kph, in my Peug 406 Coupe I recently did a bit over 240kph (both GPS measurements in Germany btw). Both cars felt comfortably solid at their respective speed.
The Murena wasn't at it terminal velocity, the Peug was flat out, but still with aircon and not with folded sidemirrors. I'm not THAT mad :-)

I must admit that for 200+ kph cruise, I'd prefer the Peug406C with its Brembo brakes and surefooted track, the Murena *is* a lighter car, and thus much more entertaining at lower speeds though.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
davidewanprice
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 08:58:24 pm »

Mine seems to start to jerk at +180 kph, like it wants to go on but cant? up to that point its pulling well.... that cant be its max can it?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 02:36:52 am »

Mine seems to start to jerk at +180 kph, like it wants to go on but cant? up to that point its pulling well.... that cant be its max can it?

No, and since it has been modified, I would say that like many, the fuel mixture is not right.  Many have never been set up properly, which can itself lead to engine damage.  A standard 2.2 Murena new could do 200kph (125mph) and mine did just that when it was new. :-)  (well you always want to do it once to see if its true don't you!)  However, after modifying I have found many are too weak at the top end and cannot do much over around 160-170 kph.  This is partly because many twin side draught carbs. supplied in the U.K. came from a company that doesn't seem to know much about tuning in my experience.  I have not seen one car from them or engine modified by them that has been right.

There can be a number of reasons for your cars behaviour, but it may well be too weak, and if it is, don't push it, because weak mixtures burn hot and can burn holes in pistons, as well as damage valves...

Roy
P.S. to answer Lennart, the lamps have to be down as the drag from them up, knocks about 20 kph off the top speed!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 02:39:48 am by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: