| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Any Espace V6 24V user around?  (Read 31367 times)
Will Falconer

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 12:59:52 am »

Congratulations Jose!

The autobox is basically a 4 speed. Position  D allows use of all 4 gears, 3 locks out 4, 2 locks out 3 and 4 etc. but those positions are generally only used for towing. There is also a D2 position which I never use and can't remember its purpose...

but as I said there are some other options too:

The 'snow' switch between the steering column and the door locks out 1st gear and I always drive with this in - the torque convertor does a better job of low speeds than 1st gear and perhaps it makes it like an American V8 to drive. I think this position also raises the shift up speed through the gears but I'm not sure.

You can also lock out 4th on the end of the gearchange wand. This is slightly more effective than using kickdown to accelerate fast.

regards  Will
José V. Gavilá

1999 Espace 3.0 V6 24V

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2005, 08:03:59 am »

Hi Will,

Thanks for your info and good wishes Smiley !!!

Ok about autobox. It seems to work fine but I found one thing which was not too clear... close to my home there is an steep hill and, due to speed bumps, maximum speed is about 25km/h. Would you change to '1' or '2' for this kind of road?. I found the car had not too clear how to manage it (or perhaps it was my fault; will check again today on return home)

About the radio remote, I have located it Smiley!. And it works. Now I need to learn to use it as I have had no time yet to do so. Any hint welcomed in case there are hidden options.

Regards,

JOSE

Congratulations Jose!

The autobox is basically a 4 speed. Position  D allows use of all 4 gears, 3 locks out 4, 2 locks out 3 and 4 etc. but those positions are generally only used for towing. There is also a D2 position which I never use and can't remember its purpose...

but as I said there are some other options too:

The 'snow' switch between the steering column and the door locks out 1st gear and I always drive with this in - the torque convertor does a better job of low speeds than 1st gear and perhaps it makes it like an American V8 to drive. I think this position also raises the shift up speed through the gears but I'm not sure.

You can also lock out 4th on the end of the gearchange wand. This is slightly more effective than using kickdown to accelerate fast.

regards  Will

JOSE V. GAVILA
La Canyada (Valencia)
SPAIN

http://jvgavila.com
Will Falconer

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 10:25:39 am »

Hi Jose

I've never used any of the positions on the lever except P N R D. The autobox doesn't always get it right so I guess you could use 1 or 2 to hold it for a steep hill.

Although I always use the snow position I have been caught out just occasionally needing 1st on very steep hills.

But, as with any automatic, you do use the brakes a lot more than with a manual. The brake pads last about 70,000Km so it's not a problem.

I'll see if I can scan the radio controls for you.

Will
José V. Gavilá

1999 Espace 3.0 V6 24V

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 01:26:41 pm »

Hello Will,

Thanks for your info!

Ok about the radio manual. It would be a real plus!

Regards,

JOSE

Hi Jose

I've never used any of the positions on the lever except P N R D. The autobox doesn't always get it right so I guess you could use 1 or 2 to hold it for a steep hill.

Although I always use the snow position I have been caught out just occasionally needing 1st on very steep hills.

But, as with any automatic, you do use the brakes a lot more than with a manual. The brake pads last about 70,000Km so it's not a problem.

I'll see if I can scan the radio controls for you.

Will

JOSE V. GAVILA
La Canyada (Valencia)
SPAIN

José V. Gavilá

1999 Espace 3.0 V6 24V

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2005, 12:22:51 pm »

Here you have a picture of my recently bought Espace

Regards,

JOSE
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 12:29:26 pm by jvgavila » Logged

JOSE V. GAVILA
La Canyada (Valencia)
SPAIN

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2005, 10:27:49 pm »

Congratulations!! Very nice indeed!

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
José V. Gavilá

1999 Espace 3.0 V6 24V

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2005, 10:32:55 pm »

Congratulations!! Very nice indeed!

Thanks!. I have done about 700km with it and it is working just fine (it is nice to have some hidden power Wink ) except for some coolant consumption Sad . It seems main radiator has a problem!. Do you know if replacement needs front removal?

Best regards,

JOSE

JOSE V. GAVILA
La Canyada (Valencia)
SPAIN

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 05:33:10 pm »

To disable 1st gear you press a button by the driver's door, to disable 4th gear you press a button at the end of the gerachange lever. It's all electronic anyway so why not have all the controls in one place!

I think tradition and the top gear disable button is something that you hit while driving - whereas the snow-button is one that is meant to be operated only when starting or hitting snow.

We never use the snow button, but there is some jerkyness when cornering - sometimes it picks a high gear in a low speed corner, but when I am exiting the corner, then it shifts down. Since I'm using the accelerator then, the down shift is rather hard.

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Will Falconer

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2005, 09:20:12 pm »

To disable 1st gear you press a button by the driver's door, to disable 4th gear you press a button at the end of the gerachange lever. It's all electronic anyway so why not have all the controls in one place!

I think tradition and the top gear disable button is something that you hit while driving - whereas the snow-button is one that is meant to be operated only when starting or hitting snow.

We never use the snow button, but there is some jerkyness when cornering - sometimes it picks a high gear in a low speed corner, but when I am exiting the corner, then it shifts down. Since I'm using the accelerator then, the down shift is rather hard.

/Anders

Yes that's exactly why I use the snow button - the box is jerky in first gear. I've been using it permanently for  about 4 years now with no problem. I only turn it off if I 'm starting up a steep hill.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: