| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Water temperature sensor/indicator.  (Read 11581 times)
homer

« on: July 16, 2007, 08:56:37 pm »

Hi I m new here and i need some help whit my Espace 2.0  8V.

Problem: sensor indicator for water temperature on my Dashboard is all ways showing first bar  Huh. There is 3 sensors for water temp i think  Roll Eyes. Can u pls tell me which one is conected to Dashboard.
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 02:39:37 pm »

Hi I m new here and i need some help whit my Espace 2.0  8V.

Problem: sensor indicator for water temperature on my Dashboard is all ways showing first bar  Huh. There is 3 sensors for water temp i think  Roll Eyes. Can u pls tell me which one is conected to Dashboard.

Before you start assuming a sensor has failed, are you sure the reading is not correct and that the coolant is just too low a temperature?  If the engine has run for some time and you would expect the coolant to be hot, is it really hot?  Have you checked the temperature with a thermometer?  Have you checked the radiator hoses inlet and outlet?  Are they both really hot?  You may have a thermostat stuck open and the system is not actually getting hot enough and the temperature gauge on the dash is actually showing the correct figure.

You haven't given enough details of your car really, but most gauges read from the same sensor as the one that provides the reading to the injection computer.  So if the sensor was faulty, the injection computer would get the wrong reading too, and the system would not run correctly.  It would 'think' the engine is cold and deliver too much fuel once it gets hot and run badly.  Then the emission level would be wrong and the management warning would be likely to come on.

So first please let us have some more details on your car, full chassis number, fabrication number, engine type or code, and age or first registration date would be ideal.  Thanks.

Roy

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 11:39:12 pm »

Most 2.0 8V's are phase 3 Espace JE0A from 1997-1999 or so, when it was replaced by the 2.0 16V. 

I used to have one and remember a few things about it, though I never experienced the problem you are having... my guess too would be engine thermostat first, but if you need to check the water temperature sensor, it's located on the side of the left side of the engine (right side when you are looking down from the front) and has a four pole orange connector. Two poles are the water temp sender, the others I think are a pressure sender, which I think most engines do not have.

A year of manufacture is necessary though, since there are two very different versions of the electrical system.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 06:48:51 am »

Sometimes my brain messes up... the connector isn't orange, but green. I found this photo of my old engine:

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
homer

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 08:16:34 pm »

Sometimes my brain messes up... the connector isn't orange, but green. I found this photo of my old engine:

My car is 1998 year,engine is F3R. Water cooling fans are working proper. Indicator that u showed on picture Anders has 4 pins . I have only 3 pins. How can i check those water indicator so i can determine which one is defected . I looked some parts book from mechanics and there it shows another sensor for water temp, it has only 2 pins. Whats that?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 07:21:39 pm by Lennart Sorth » Logged
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 11:54:19 pm »

My car is 1998 year,engine is F3R. Water cooling fans are working proper. Indicator that u showed on picture Anders has 4 pins . I have only 3 pins. How can i check those water indicator so i can determine which one is defected . I looked some parts book from mechanics and there it shows another sensor for water temp, it has only 2 pins. Whats that?

The coolant sensor usually has only three pins in it but can have four.  It depends upon the vehicle specification.  The sensor provides the signals to the instrument panel for the gauge and the injection computer.  It can also be linked with air con. and over-temperature warning, so you have one wire to earth, one to the dash (gauge) and one to the injection ECU.  Since I don't have access to the wiring diagram CD's I cannot tell you just which connection is which, but Renault always use black for earth, so that is one, and the other two will be for the ECU and gauge.

A 2 pin sensor will only supply an instrument panel (gauge) on an early system, or it might only supply the ECU on a network system, and the ECU will control the gauge and anything else that requires the information via its network connections.  This is why the wiring is so complex these days.  You have to be able to cope with all versions, and you need specific vehicle details to make sure you have the right diagrams.  Many parts diagrams shown on parts computers again have to cope with all versions so you might see a part which is not applicable to your particular vehicle.

Roy

homer

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 12:20:23 am »

I change part which you showed.Everything working perfect.It cost barely 15EUR.
Thanks. Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: