| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ignition coil  (Read 5514 times)
krede
YaBB God

« on: September 01, 2007, 05:36:51 pm »

I think I will replace my coil when I switch to injection, and am wondering if there is a better one available then the original?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 12:10:50 am »

I think I will replace my coil when I switch to injection, and am wondering if there is a better one available then the original?

Since this is a simple electronic switching distributor with amplier, as long as you have a good coil, it should be fine.  Normal distributor caps and rotor arms cannot handle more than about 25 - 30 kV anyway, so if you start trying to pass more than this you will just shorten their life and end up with H.T. tracking faults.  This happened some years ago when a company came out with boosted ignition systems that were claimed to have 40 - 45 kV and we saw lots of burnt cap segments etc.

If you want to uprate the ignition system, you need to consider the system as a whole.  A distributorless solid state system would work well with the injection, and I have seen a few Murena with such fitted, but you are into a lot more mods. and money!

The injection system should theoretically feed the engine more accurately with fuel, so the ignition system should actually have an easier time.  As long as all the components of the standard system are good, I see no reason why it won't be good enough.  However, if you wish to uprate to the distributorless system, then the accuracy of the ignition should improve and along with the injection make things even better.

Roy.

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 02:02:25 pm »

Normal distributor caps and rotor arms cannot handle more than about 25 - 30 kV anyway, so if you start trying to pass more than this you will just shorten their life and end up with H.T. tracking faults

Thanks Roy.. I wasn't aware of that.

I have considered "modernizing " the entire ignition , to distributor less multi coil, but have in the end decided against this for reason of simplicity.

I will be using the distributor from a pug 505 turbo, as this fits the murena engine without any modification, and has a Hall sensor build into it for the Ecu, thus saving me the trouble of fitting a crank sensor, witch would not be easy as thers isn't exactly  space to spare.
Also ,retro fitted crank sensors has a reputation for poor durability and being hard to fit properly... so the standard Hall sensor seems the better choice to me.

but you are into a lot more mods. and money!
This project has already cost me way too much... Its amazing how cost mount up from out of nowhere. I reckon the programmable ECU and Throttle bodies are only about HALF of the total expense!!
Should I do it over, Id have bought the manifold from a pug 505 turbo, fitted it with the wiring loom and ecu from an Opel/vauxhall  2.2 Cih and had it chipped.
Cost without chip : about £300 tops and very simple to fit.   

« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 02:04:19 pm by krede » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: