| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Murena exhaust  (Read 35026 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« on: September 27, 2007, 09:56:03 am »

My dual-outlet-low-hanging exhaust is too noisy for me... I have to find something else. Missus and I drove 2 x 180 km last weekend in the Murena and my ears were ringing after the motorway. It's really on-cam at 3500 rpm / 130 km/h  Grin  but the noise is unbearable  Undecided

My guess is that all the sound damping stuff inside the muffler is long gone. I think it's a custom built stainless exhaust, and Roy has told me it's about 15 years old. Good quality, though - no signs of cracks anywhere or corrosion. I could have it opened and restuffed, but I want to switch to the standard type of exhaust with only one exhaust pipe and the muffler sitting well up under the car instead of hanging low over the road. I don't think my boys will agree, but that's what I want Wink

So my plan is to buy myself a stainless single pipe exhaust as sold by Simon, Politecnic and Will:
http://www.matramagic.co.uk/product.php?productid=16140&cat=253&page=2

Now, what are peoples experiences with these exhausts? Are they as noisy as the twin outlet ones or are they better?

I may sacrifice a bit of top end performance, but I'm ready to live with that - and I can always fit back the old one for a roaring track day Cheesy

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 10:06:47 am »

Come on Anders, I have 4 outlets on mine and I love it!!
Nothing beats sitting on the motorway at about 80mph and nailing it with the roar of the 2 carbs and the 4 exhausts. I even turn my Slipknot CD off to hear that.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 10:23:52 am »

Come on Anders, I have 4 outlets on mine and I love it!!
Nothing beats sitting on the motorway at about 80mph and nailing it with the roar of the 2 carbs and the 4 exhausts. I even turn my Slipknot CD off to hear that.

Cheesy
I GUESS I'M JUST SUPERSENSITIVE!! Cool

Used to own:
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:09:31 pm »

If you have a 4-1 manifold, I doubt the number of outlet pipes will affect performance.

Do you have any pictures of your twin exit pipe?
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 12:21:05 pm »

If you have a 4-1 manifold, I doubt the number of outlet pipes will affect performance.

Do you have any pictures of your twin exit pipe?

You are probably right on that one, at least the cam will still be able to perform as intended...
I probably have some pictures somehwere... yes:
http://gallery.dinsen.net/v/Murena/DSCF0059.JPG.html
(sorry about the dirt! - I'm afraid it looks like that again now!)

Used to own:
hru

Murena Lover :-)

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 02:31:02 pm »

Hi Anders

Now, what are peoples experiences with these exhausts? Are they as noisy as the twin outlet ones or are they better?

I have both - one for MOT and one for street drive  Wink

My experience is that the standard has less noise - much less - than the ones from Simon - devil-exhaust.

The devil exhaust has a deep grumbling that the neighbors can hear 8 houses away  - the standard they can't hear !
When driving on the street *everybody*turns around to look  Grin

Btw: Beware that the exhaust from Simon is not stainless

BR
Henrik

PS -my murena just passed MOT yesterday, so now it is time for some winter work

Matra Murena 2.2
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 02:49:15 pm »

The devil exhaust has a deep grumbling that the neighbors can hear 8 houses away  - the standard they can't hear !
When driving on the street *everybody*turns around to look  Grin

Fortunately my car is registered with the tuning exhaust so I can run with it legally Wink The test guy measured it to 94 dB noise level at 4500 rpm at a distance of 1 meter!
My wife can hear me coming home several blocks away Smiley

I tend to enjoy the sound... but not on long runs on the motorway! Sad

Btw: Beware that the exhaust from Simon is not stainless

He has two, one regular which is quite cheap, and one stainless. I would expect the standard one to be less noisy than the stainless one as stainless exhausts are stiffer and generally are noisiser. That's why I'm asking, really... HOW good is the STAINLESS single outlet exhaust compared to the standard exhaust.

PS -my murena just passed MOT yesterday, so now it is time for some winter work

Yipppiiiee Cool

Used to own:
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 08:14:26 pm »

It's really on-cam at 3500 rpm / 130 km/h  Grin  but the noise is unbearable  Undecided
- Anders

I dont know about the 2.2, but back in the days when i was driving the 1.6 and later the 1.9, the car was horribly suffering from resonance noise. It only appeared driving 100-120 kmh in 5th (i forgot which rpm's) It was like some panel started vibrating, caused by the motor vibrations. I bought some "anti resonance bitumen pads" but i never found which panel was the vibrating one. 
Maybe you are also suffering this......

hru

Murena Lover :-)

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 08:34:23 pm »

He has two, one regular which is quite cheap, and one stainless.

Sorry - I was thinking about the 2-pipe exhaust from Simon - this is plain steel, painted black and nothing else.
It's no so cheap again - but to my opinion not worth the money, because it takes rust very fast.

The normal (standard) has a slight layer of protection (possible zink) Undecided

BR Henrik

Matra Murena 2.2
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 07:07:32 pm »

It's really on-cam at 3500 rpm / 130 km/h  Grin  but the noise is unbearable  Undecided
- Anders

I dont know about the 2.2, but back in the days when i was driving the 1.6 and later the 1.9, the car was horribly suffering from resonance noise. It only appeared driving 100-120 kmh in 5th (i forgot which rpm's) It was like some panel started vibrating, caused by the motor vibrations. I bought some "anti resonance bitumen pads" but i never found which panel was the vibrating one. 
Maybe you are also suffering this......

Thanks for your input, Bart. I agree, actually. I think a lot of it is actually from the trunk, and I have already achieved a some resonance reduction by bitumen pads in the bottom of it. That did help a good deal, but not enough really. I think that the black paint in the engine room is actually there to reduce resonanses?

- Anders

Used to own:
davidewanprice
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 08:07:19 pm »

I look to have the same exhaust as you and it is load, I can see why you may change it, i also seem to suffer from resonance, but ive only noticed it at low revs. Where did you find best to stick the pads? I also have a leak somewhere which i need to trace, if you pull away on a hill at lower revs it sounds like a beetle engine before it dies out. I guess its a leak at the manifold or exhaust, knowing my car both... 
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 08:25:54 pm »

My dual-outlet-low-hanging exhaust is too noisy for me...

... Now, what are peoples experiences with these exhausts? Are they as noisy as the twin outlet ones or are they better?

I may sacrifice a bit of top end performance, but I'm ready to live with that - and I can always fit back the old one for a roaring track day Cheesy

- Anders

My original Murena (with Holbay cam) is just as powerful and quick as yours Anders, and is the one I measured on the rolling road, and it has a quiet single outlet exhaust; so there is no reason why you should loose performance.  The main thing is both yours and mine have the 4-into-1 four branch exhaust manifold, which breathes much better than the original cast iron one.

My exhaust system is a one off, made by Langford and Knight especially for me in 1985, and is superb.  It looks good, is quiet except at full throttle when it sounds good, and is of the best quality s.s. and even had a twenty five year transferable guarantee, and since it is now 25 yrs old and still in excellent condition proved they were safe offering that guarantee!  Unlike some (most?) after market exhausts for the Murena 2.2 they left the size of the pipes as original, which was 1.75" diameter if I remember correctly.  However, the Murena has always had a distinctive exhaust note, which even my mother used to recognise when I was nearby! :-)

Roy

brinkie

Previous owner of a Murena

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 08:38:19 pm »

My dual-outlet-low-hanging exhaust is too noisy for me... I have to find something else. Missus and I drove 2 x 180 km last weekend in the Murena and my ears were ringing after the motorway. It's really on-cam at 3500 rpm / 130 km/h  Grin  but the noise is unbearable  Undecided

My guess is that all the sound damping stuff inside the muffler is long gone. I think it's a custom built stainless exhaust, and Roy has told me it's about 15 years old. Good quality, though - no signs of cracks anywhere or corrosion. I could have it opened and restuffed, but I want to switch to the standard type of exhaust with only one exhaust pipe and the muffler sitting well up under the car instead of hanging low over the road. I don't think my boys will agree, but that's what I want Wink

So my plan is to buy myself a stainless single pipe exhaust as sold by Simon, Politecnic and Will:
http://www.matramagic.co.uk/product.php?productid=16140&cat=253&page=2

Well, I was in the same situation a couple of years ago! This was my previous exhaust, a roaring Devil:

One day, when I was driving the car, I noticed that the sound was *really* sporty. The pipe had broken off just before the silencer and I had to buy another exhaust, since the Devil was rotten through and through! That explained the roaring sound I guess, there wasn't much damping material left inside.

I decided to buy a stainless steel "original" exhaust at Carjoy (same stuff as Matramagic/Simon):

Quite costly, but I hope it will last a lifetime Smiley It doesn't have that roaring sound of a Devil exhaust, but then again, the engine makes enough noise inside. And my girlfriend doesn't hate me anymore driving the car Wink I already had a 4-in-1 manifold btw.

Cheers, Robert

/Robert

Previous owner of a Matra Murena 2.2 (1981)
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 08:13:34 am »

The single pipe exhaust also looks much better, if you ask me! Smiley... end believe me.. it can make PLENTY of noise if you want it to!
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 09:48:26 pm »

Thanks for all the useful input guys. Roy, it's must be a very well crafted exhaust you have that it is still in good shape after 25 years. In an industry, where products normally only live 5-10 years, this is not something one expects to see.

I have arranged for a special delivery of an exhaust Wink but I won't get it until Christmas. So until then, I'll enjoy the noise from the old one!

- Anders

Used to own:
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: