| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wiper blades  (Read 21432 times)
krede
YaBB God

« on: October 30, 2007, 03:07:29 pm »

Anybody know witch ones to use?
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:26:43 am »

I just go to a car spares shop, take one off the car and measure up against the ones in the shop.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 01:09:58 pm »

Agree with Antony, only drivers side has a spoiler to keep it flat against the wind screen.

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 07:21:44 pm »

Anybody know witch ones to use?

You can often buy a wiper set these days with one spoiler blade and one normal blade.  This is usually what I would get.  Possibly the Bosch 500mm twin set.  The drivers side needs a spoiler but the passenger side does not - it's all to do with aerodynamics and airflow over the screen.  Matra originally fitted a spoiler to the drivers wiper arm, but this commonly touched the screen so many were removed.  A spoiler built in to the wiper blade is an ideal replacement.

Roy

brinkie

Previous owner of a Murena

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 08:14:23 pm »

You can often buy a wiper set these days with one spoiler blade and one normal blade.  This is usually what I would get.  Possibly the Bosch 500mm twin set.  The drivers side needs a spoiler but the passenger side does not - it's all to do with aerodynamics and airflow over the screen.  Matra originally fitted a spoiler to the drivers wiper arm, but this commonly touched the screen so many were removed.  A spoiler built in to the wiper blade is an ideal replacement.
I have 500mm blades fitted to my Murena's wiper arms, but the ends touch the windshield rubber (the top left in "up" position and the bottom right when the wipers are "down"). Are you sure they shouldn't be 450mm?

/Robert

Previous owner of a Matra Murena 2.2 (1981)
Tricky Dicky

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 12:32:51 pm »

I can honestly say that I have legally fitted wiper blades but never use them even in the rain? Why I hear you ask! Because I use Rain X it does exactly what it says on the bottle. Brilliant stuff. Also good for those early mornings with a strong frost as the molecules make it easier to scrape the frost off the windscreen
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 01:13:27 pm »

I agree .. My car had been treated with that stuff when I bought it.. worked very well... especially on the rear window.
sadly I havent been able to find rain-x in Denmark.. and the other stuff that supposedly does the same, isn't half as good.

Ps: I have also tried out some "demister" stuff from Motip.. Mostly for the rear window witch tend to steam up rater often in this kind of weather.
But...What ever you do, DON'T spend 60 dkr on this !! it actually does NOTHING towards preventing anything "fogging up" (he he).. WHAT it does is cover the the windows in a thick greasy film making them much more difficult to see through... even when there ISN'T any moisture in the cabin...... bravo!!   
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:50:46 am »

I havent been able to find rain-x in Denmark..
I have also been using Rain-X for years with great success, and never found a danish dealer, however Will Falconer (MatraMagic.co.uk) can supply it in quantities Smiley

HOWEVER, do *NOT* try to use the Rain-X anti-mist stuff on the inside of the windscreen or rear window, is is worse than useless, as it caused my Murena windows to become MUCH MUCH more misty - constantly. Even in summer - and it took me bloody AGES to clear it off.

I think that stuff is more suited for the inside of crash-helmet visors, and even there I would be very cautious.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 07:01:31 am »

Rain-X is great! But be carefull with other brands!
I've tried two years ago some stuff from anwb (dutch AA) and that is mortal. When a raindrop touch the windscreen, it splashes into 1000 little drops over an erea of one square inch. And you cannot see through this erea! When using the wipers it is "jumping" and making a big blur.
The only way to get vision back was applying rain-x monthly.

Worst thing of all is, that this horrible stuff is very resistend. After one year i was still suffering. I tried taking it off with an agressive solvent, but failed.
Probably i have applied the stuff wrong or so.

Toptip from Bart: rain-x is great but try other brands on the passengerside windscreen first!

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 09:36:36 am »

I have had some success using "dish washing" soap on the inside of my rear window.. .. just like in the old days on my moped helmet Smiley ...
That is why I imagined that a product aimed at demisting the window should bee better.... obviously I was wrong. :-(
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 10:09:34 am »

I have had some success using "dish washing" soap on the inside of my rear window.. .. just like in the old days on my moped helmet Smiley ...

Details wanted!

My rear window heater strips are apparantly too corroded to work well any more and I'm currently considering fitting one of these small interior fans blowing hot air on the window to demist it when it's worst. Some days, it's just horrible. I have thought about fitting a blower that sucks air from the exhaust manifold area and blows it strategically onto the window - that would be ideal, but involves a good deal of modification back there, so I'm going to try the other thing first.

Which reminds me... I should update my thread about the hot air inlet device.

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
brinkie

Previous owner of a Murena

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 11:59:37 am »

I agree .. My car had been treated with that stuff when I bought it.. worked very well... especially on the rear window.
sadly I havent been able to find rain-x in Denmark.. and the other stuff that supposedly does the same, isn't half as good.
I can get Rain-X literally around the corner for 7 Euro (so nice if you work next to a large shopping mall Wink )
http://www.halfords.nl/NL/Auto/Catalog/ProductDetail.htm?productId=312007

Is there anyone who knows an answer to my wiper blade problem? I have 500mm wiper blades, but they seem to be too large. I don't know if fitting 450mm wiper blades will affect visibility.

/Robert

Previous owner of a Matra Murena 2.2 (1981)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 12:55:40 am »

Is there anyone who knows an answer to my wiper blade problem? I have 500mm wiper blades, but they seem to be too large.

That sounds like something is wrong then Robert.  The correct wiper blades are 500mm long and mine do not reach the edge.  In fact I have even had 520mm fitted without problems.  Maybe the wiper arms have been fitted on the wrong spindles?  Original Murena arms were straight - no bend near the end, and one is longer than the other.  They had a plastic 'jaw' at the end for the cross pin of the wiper blade to fit in to.  I have seen many of these broken off and people have replaced them with other adaptors, which can change the overall length too.  So if you have say the longer arm plus a non-original adaptor on the wrong spindle, that may account for the wiper blade touching the edge.  Or the arm is not original and is longer than the original?

I don't know if fitting 450mm wiper blades will affect visibility.

Well a smaller blade will obviously not clear as much screen,  but as long as you can see out sufficiently...

Roy
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:10:07 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: