| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: removal or roof lining?  (Read 17936 times)
davidewanprice
« on: November 10, 2007, 08:17:28 pm »

Just how do you take out the roof lining on a Murena, i can see i'd need to remove the screws at the rear, remove interior light and sun visors then at the front theres are four things holding it, after removing the top cap there is metal clips holding it. What do i do with these? Thought i'd ask first.. Ive got a rattle above my head and its bothering me....
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 09:55:07 pm »

If I recall correctly you don't need to remove the sun visors as they are fitted to the roof liner itself.
Otherwise its just as you said... undo the screws at the back, and remove the clips at the front.
You might also need to remove the upper part of the door seals as these are also used holding the liner in place...

ps: I have had two rattles coming from the liner... one was the sun visor, and the other was from the interior light plexiglass cover. neither needed the removal of the liner to cure.
davidewanprice
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 12:27:52 am »

This sounds like the bumping of a cable.. im guessing but im thinking its the lead for the aerial. Exactly how if the clips at the front removed?
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 08:39:43 am »

Hmmm... unless your liner is different from mine, you just have to pry them gently out with a suitable screw driver etc
hru

Murena Lover :-)

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 07:48:12 pm »

Just how do you take out the roof lining on a Murena, i can see i'd need to remove the screws at the rear

Hey David

There are 4 screws in the front also - maybe they are hidden below the clothing.
- they are on mine ......

You can feel them by the fingertip, I should think

BR
Henrik

Matra Murena 2.2
davidewanprice
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 10:30:21 pm »

There were no screws in the front, after popping the cover caps off and pulling on one it seems like the roof front was held in place by 4 metal clips, clips that I’ve knackered by removing them! Shit... Anyone know if these are obtainable? In removing the roof lining I’ve found the flapping aerial cable and taped it to the roof. I’ve also tightened the aerial too as that was pretty loose. So I just may have killed another noise in the car, but maybe the hassle of getting rid of it may teach me to live with some of the others for a little while longer.
davidewanprice
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 10:04:02 pm »

Ok I’ve spent a while looking at the roof (So far its all been done at night, not the best time to work on your car) and although I found the cable for the interior light and radio aerial to be loose it wasn’t the major cause of my vibrations! It’s the roof! To be more precise its the rear part of the roof and it seems to be vibrating on the chassis (above the rear window) and causing the noises. Exactly how are these two panels normally attached? It feels like the roof panel sits on a thin section of metal chassis. Maybe I could fit something rubber between and stop it rattling. Theres no way I’m thinking of playing with the roof panel…… No….
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 09:04:00 am »

Ok I’ve spent a while looking at the roof (So far its all been done at night, not the best time to work on your car) and although I found the cable for the interior light and radio aerial to be loose it wasn’t the major cause of my vibrations! It’s the roof! To be more precise its the rear part of the roof and it seems to be vibrating on the chassis (above the rear window) and causing the noises. Exactly how are these two panels normally attached? It feels like the roof panel sits on a thin section of metal chassis. Maybe I could fit something rubber between and stop it rattling. Theres no way I’m thinking of playing with the roof panel…… No….

Good to hear you found it Smiley

The parts are glued together with PU glue (same as used to glue windscreens), maybe it wasn't glued correctly in the first place or it has just gotten loose?

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 10:36:48 am »

Ha, mine does exactly the same thing. I stuffed a rubber thing between the frame and the roof which stopped it for a while, but it will need to be glued at some point.
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 03:25:24 pm »

mine does exactly the same thing.
So does mine
davidewanprice
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 07:48:33 pm »

It looks like we have a club within a club here! Welcome to my club... I'll assign membership numbers later.

Im really not sure how this can be solved by gluing as theres so much flex in the roof and theres really not much contact area, i think i'll try to pad it. Plus i really dont want my paintwork made worse than it is. I'd like to see a picture of a Murena without roof if anyone has one..
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 07:51:39 pm by davidewanprice » Logged
hru

Murena Lover :-)

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 08:14:57 pm »

There were no screws in the front, after popping the cover caps off and pulling on one it seems like the roof front was held in place by 4 metal clips,

Interesting --  maybe there are differences in the production years also  - '83 is mine. And there are 4 screws under the clothing :-(

Im really not sure how this can be solved by gluing as theres so much flex in the roof and theres really not much contact area, i think i'll try to pad it. Plus i really dont want my paintwork made worse than it is. I'd like to see a picture of a Murena without roof if anyone has one..

The roof is fixed with both glue and 'Nitter' (Whats the english word for this ??)
It can only be removed when the front window is removed !

The only way I can see to fix (without removing) is to squise the new glue in between the roof and the chachis frame.

My roof does the same - the glue is 'out' and a few of the 'nitter' is also very loose. But since I have to have a new windshield anyway before repainting, I will take the roof completly off.

BR
Henrik

Matra Murena 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 09:36:30 pm »

Nitter
Rivets
davidewanprice
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 07:07:02 pm »

Well mine doesnt look like it was Riveted at the back? So far I’ve inserted a 1 metre long strip piece of rubber between the panel and the chassis and took it for a sort test ride, no banging so far. I'd love to stick the panel but i think it'll be too hard to get so I’m gonna leave it now and replace the roof lining and hope the rubber stays in place. Oh and I think that Will @ Matra Magic has the proper fixings for the roof linings
LarsB

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 08:00:25 pm »

the rivets are placed beneath the rubber trim. Maybe even beneath some filler.

My roof had bearly any glue at the back

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: