| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Windscreen wipers not working  (Read 9353 times)
tanner

« on: January 12, 2008, 12:26:44 am »

hi all,
        i need your help, a few months ago my wipers stopped working on the m4 for no apparent reason within 5 mins they started working again, then a couple on months later they stopped again for a short time stopping and starting the car seemed to help.
guess what! tonight they have dicided they dont want to work again only this time nothing seems to work but i will bet if i go out there tomorrow they will work again.
i have tryed a new relay and it is clicking to say it is working still no diference.
is there a common fault to look for as the hayne manuel does not shed any light.
emergency as it is pouring down and i really need the car!

rgds
stuart
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 01:59:18 am »

Hi Stuart,

You don't mention which Espace you have (age, type, model).  Can you let us have some details first, thanks.  There are so many variations, and the wiring is dependent on spec.

Also do the wipers work if you operate the washers?  Do the washers work?  Does the rear wiper work?

Roy

tanner

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 02:19:49 am »

hi roy,
            thanx for getting back, it is a 1996/n yes the washer jets do work but no wiper action, and the rear works all the time ok.
this problem only comes now and then and it can be months between.
once it is happening it can be a while to get back to normal??
i have checked the plugs and fuse and relay?

rgds
stuart
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 11:34:27 pm »

hi roy,
            thanx for getting back, it is a 1996/n ...

Sorry Stuart, but that is far too little info.  I need much more to even start checking for anything.  1996 could be an Espace 2 or 3 with lots of differences.  Let's have the VIN and fabrication numbers please.

Roy

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 12:01:59 am »

the rear works all the time ok.

Hehe - then reverse to work, - problem solved! :-)

Can you hear the wiper motor running ? (listening from the engine-side without engine running)

A colleague of mine just had his wipers fail - but that was simply the mechanism skipping on the spindle of the motor, which was working happily. (Easy and cheap fix)

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
george

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 12:40:03 am »

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 12:42:12 am by george » Logged
tanner

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 03:07:13 pm »

hi guys,
thx for the replys i have now solved the problem, there was me thinking it was a wireing fault as it was the 2 positive feeds to the motor that was throwing me out.
i diagosed is as water was getting into the motor housing causing a lot of rust and problems.
after a good clean with a strip oh er! and rebuild it now operates better than it ever has before.
one thing i did do was create a good solid seal to stop this happening again as the cheapest new motor i could find is £90 (stand and deliver).
moral to the story always check the obviose first now the miss firing to sort out and its a gooden.
shame these little faults as the car is imaculate poeple still come up to me in car parks amireing it and a few have offerd money for it.

rgds
stuart
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: