| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: New Clutch?  (Read 36478 times)
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 09:42:03 pm »

Let her rip Krede it's how it's meant to be!!!!

Happy to oblige!  Grin
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 06:44:34 pm »

I got a new slave cylinder from Simon.
To get the old cylinder out I ended up heating the housing much more than I liked with a blowtorch, I only did that after spending several evenings trying to get the old cylinder out in a more civilized way.
The old cylinder turned out to be rather corroded inside so a repair kit would not had helped me.
Hans
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 08:08:31 pm »

I had the slave cylinder off the car today... no problems in that.. (but as mentioned its fairly new)
I could find NO sign of any leaks or wear, and I bled the system to see if any air had gotten into it....
But to no effect!!
So Im a bit puzzled

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 11:29:54 pm »

I had the slave cylinder off the car today... no problems in that.. (but as mentioned its fairly new)
I could find NO sign of any leaks or wear, and I bled the system to see if any air had gotten into it....
But to no effect!!
So Im a bit puzzled

Do you have any leak of brake fluid at all? (on the level in the reservoir)

The master cylinder would be next, then. Leaks from there are visible on the carpet below the clutch pedal which will appear wet (thanks Lennart! Grin )

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 11:41:10 pm »

Nope... Np leaks
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 01:06:08 pm »

Update..
During the journey from work the clutch became less and less effective.. until finally not being able to disengage drive altogether!! not a pleasant experience in cross town traffic!!

Still no leaks are evident, but surely air must be entering the system somewhere..

Ill replace both cylinders for good measure... as I haven't been able to find any repair kits anywhere..

Now... the hard part will be getting the car to the workshop without any clutch what so ever.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 05:40:57 pm »

If there's air in the system the pedal will be 'spongey', but you may have worked that out already?

Used to own:
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 05:50:36 pm »

Well.. clutch action simply deteriorated, until it wouldn't nothing happened when pressing the pedal!!..
So the car will be out of action for for the next two weeks, as I Do not expect the new parts to arrive from Simon before I go away on exercise this Thursday...

Damn.. now I have to take the bicycle to work!.. BuuUUUUHhhhUUUU! Sad Sad Sad
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 05:57:16 pm »

Well.. clutch action simply deteriorated, until it wouldn't nothing happened when pressing the pedal!!..
So the car will be out of action for for the next two weeks, as I Do not expect the new parts to arrive from Simon before I go away on exercise this Thursday...

Damn.. now I have to take the bicycle to work!.. BuuUUUUHhhhUUUU! Sad Sad Sad

I feel so sorry for you. REALLY! Now that you have that new toy installed. So it still feels hard as it should? any noise from the clutch area/gearbox? if the bearing is crushed the fork can't act on the clutch spring. or the fork could be bent... or it could just be worn down so the fork can't reach long enough to declutch.

There's no harm done buying spare cylinders as you'll probably need them eventually, but I think you should inspect the clutch itself.

Has it become harder lately, by the way? I remember your clutch pedal was quite soft when I tried it back in october 06 when we met at Lennart's - at least compared to mine. I found it hard to beleive first time I was told, but when the clutch becomes harder, it's normally because it's worn. If you look at how the spring acts on the mechanism you can understand why.

Why not take the gearbox out now that you can't use the car anyway?

Used to own:
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 06:11:53 pm »

Im pretty confident that its a hydraulic problem... the way that it came about..in such a short time, but still not all at once... HAS to be a broken seal or some other mishap inside  one of the cylinders.

If Its not a Hydraulic fault, The car will be put away until I come home in May.
At that time, It's my plan to have the gearbox down, and attempt Roys 5 gear conversion..this the "kit" also includes new and improved bearings.... and there is some serious "hissing " and "scraping" noises coming from the gearbox when "engine braking"..... Might fir a new clutch while I have it open... and.. and....
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 12:17:31 am »

not a pleasant experience in cross town traffic!!
Bahh! - a few years ago, I drove my Peugeot 106 1.1 from Belgium to Le Mans without a clutch ... (thats 7 Payage booths and Paris, if you're interested)  :-)

as if it wasn't enough of a challenge to drive 2x1400km in a 106 1.1 rollerskate - and I actually did that trip twice in that car.

ok, I did manage to hit Paris at 5am on a Sunday, so there was hardly any traffic.

But having said all this, I hope you get that clutch sorted real soon - using a bicycle in Denmark in January is about as unpleasant it gets.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 02:56:04 pm »

and I actually did that trip twice in that car.
Knowing how tall you are..... that's just cruel!!!

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 04:50:28 pm »

Update :
I have replaced the slave cylinder, but it has not improved anything.I still only have a tiiiiiiiny bit of clutch "bite" in the very bottom..
I have bled and bled the system, but it still feels very much like there is air in there still.
Can it be that it has to be bled "reversly"? .. have heard that other clutches need to be.. but as far as I can see the highest point on the master cylinder is where the fluid goes towards the slave.

I find it hard to believe that the clutch itself would wear so quickly that one can TELL that it does so, and thus my next cause of action is to replace the Master cylinder....as soon as the rubber seals for the plastic pipes that OBVIOUSLY has to be bought separately with no mention of this in the spare catalogue... will arrive.   

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008, 06:43:50 pm »

Update :

Found the fault...
Turned out to be the master cylinder... .. and yes... it was leaking... .. Only I hadn't noticed as the leak was in the end of the cylinder... witch is INSIDE the car... .. where I hadn't bothered to look... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2008, 12:28:23 pm »

Update :

Found the fault...
Turned out to be the master cylinder... .. and yes... it was leaking... .. Only I hadn't noticed as the leak was in the end of the cylinder... witch is INSIDE the car... .. where I hadn't bothered to look... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Been there Wink

Good you found it. So you are running again?

Used to own:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: