| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Is it possible to enable the trip computer?  (Read 44364 times)
roa

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 11:33:26 am »

Hi!
Does anyone know where to find the fuel flow meter?
My 2000 Espace 2.0 16v was originally sold without a computer. Some previous owner has then enabled it.
It works fine and shows all the functions, but functions regarding fuel consumption  all show 00.0.

A missing fuel flow meter would explain this, but where the is it supposed to be???

BTW: Activating the computer takes approx. 2 with the right tool(Renault CLIP)
Espace orignally came in 3 equipment levels, names E1, E2 and E3. The E1 does not have the computer.
Check the chassisnumber/VIN-plate located in the passenger/right hand doorpost to find out if your car has a computer.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 06:59:20 am »

Does anyone know where to find the fuel flow meter?

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing. The fuel flow is calculated by the computer based on the control signal to the fuel injectors. This ought to be fairly accurate, but does not measure actual fuel flow. The only reason I can think of why your car does not show the fuel consumption is that the ECU does not transmit the values to the board computer. I don't think you can do anything about it.

- Anders Cool

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
roa

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 02:01:29 pm »

Suspected that, but was hoping still.

-don't like the idea of not being able to do anything about it - will investigate further.....
Anyone have a schematic of the ECU??

I  know there is a signal in both the ECU(=BII ?) and the engine connection unit, named "fuel flow".
Believe this comes from the injectioncomputer (Siemens Sirius 32)?
Anyone have a schematic or pinout description for the Sirius?

Roger
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 11:21:22 pm »

My '97 JE0A Espace 2.0 has no trip computer: the only thing the button on the right stalk does is reset the day trip counter.

I suspect (from browsing the internet for this subject) that the trip computer is there, but factory disabled.

Anybody any idea on how to enable it?

MarkN

Sorry to disappoint you, but this is not possible as the computer you need is not there.  You only get the full computer for all the trip functions if ordered at the beginning as a factory option.

Roy

roa

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 11:03:19 pm »

Roy: Is your answer only for the 97 JEOA, or all models?

I've been participating in the same discussion at a french forum. The french claim that it is possible to avtivate the trip-computer, but for the fuel consumption functions the car has to have an air flow meter fitted!
This partially makes sense to me, as the airflow, combined with air-temperature and, possibly, air-humidity, -all take part in the equation when calculating the injector timing and thus the amount of fuel used.

As my car apparently does not have an airflowmeter(?), it must calculate injector timing in some other way, and is omitting to share fuel flow information with the BII?Huh?

Anybody have more  information on this topic?

Will investigate further..

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 07:27:41 pm »

Roy: Is your answer only for the 97 JEOA, or all models?

All models to my knowledge.  The computer is in the instrument panel, and the relevent computer is simply not there.  So whether it has an airflow meter or not is immaterial.  I have tried re-configuring an Espace myself just to see if it did anything and the answer was 'No'.

Roy

renaultbiler

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 08:13:54 pm »

I think the fuel flow information always exists in the ECU, but a wiring might be missing OR possibly the software in BII does not handle ADAC functions (?) as i am sertain that is where the calculations are done and not in the instrument panel (BII are issued in several types B1, B2, B3 if i remember correct..).
When connecting CLIP to the injection computer i have noticed that it is possible to read flow details on live data.

To check if the flow signal actually is transmitted (wired) between the ECU and the BII box
(passenger compartment unit) you can measure the continuity between track 11 on the blue 12 pin connector on the BII box and ->
-> track 13 on the ECU connector if you have F3R engine
-> track 11 on the ECU connector if you have F4R engine
-> track 32 on the ECU connector if you have F9Q engine
-> track 15 on the ECU connector if you have L7X engine
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 08:23:53 pm by renaultbiler » Logged

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
roa

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 12:04:53 am »

Thank you Tom. Continuity-testing it is then.
When you say ECU-connector, do you mean the connector on the Sirius itself, or the one in the engine connection unit?
I agree that the ADAC-functions is performed by the BII, as I seem to remember reading this somewhere in Dialogys.  It would be interesting to know the differences between versions B1, B2 and B3.

Results from testing will be posted, both here and at www.renaultbiler.no !

Roger
renaultbiler

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 06:37:04 am »

Find the pin on the wiring connector (harness).

As a last resourse (if wiring is ok) i am sure you could connect a scope to the ECU flow signal output pin and see if you get some kind of signal there too.

The BII recieves the ADAC button stalk impuls signal so i am quite positive the instrument display is prepared for ADAC as long as it is the "new style" with a blue CAN connector on it.

If you look at your BII it should say what B number you have (eg: BII B3).

Next time you drop by we could also check ECU live data to see if we are able to read flow details there.

2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
renaultbiler

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 03:03:27 pm »

I also note that when picking parts on JE0N (roa) it never asks if ADAC is enabled - that is on ECU, Instrumentpanel and BII. This could be a replacement parts issue and factory assembled parts differ on this but i choose to believe not. Lets see what the wiring continuity results (roa).

On the early JE0A without CAN i would suspect a different issue...

1982 R20TX 2.2
orionbg

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 07:06:04 pm »

Can someone explain me how to find if my Espace have the BII unit or not? What to look for exactly?
BTW Mine is an Oct. 1997 JE and it reads E2 (or maybe it was B2) for the equipment stage no the plate on the right door frame!
How is this diagnostic module, used to enable the trip computer called exactly?

Thanks in advane for any info
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 11:17:29 pm »

Can someone explain me how to find if my Espace have the BII unit or not? What to look for exactly?
BTW Mine is an Oct. 1997 JE and it reads E2 (or maybe it was B2) for the equipment stage no the plate on the right door frame!
How is this diagnostic module, used to enable the trip computer called exactly?

Thanks in advane for any info

Your car is pre-CAN bus and does not have the BII unit. In your fuse box you have only fuses and relays and the diagnostic connector - no computer. I'm pretty sure you can't enable a trip computer in your car.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
roa

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 11:34:55 pm »

I'm quiet sure that your '97 does not have a BII. The BII was introduced as a update in mid 98(according to Renaultbiler ) to simplify the wiring.

To be absolutely sure, check under the mat in the passengers footwell. Under the plastic cover(remove the two plastic screws ) you'll find either lots of relays, or a black plastic box -the BII.

Renaultbiler and I examined a couple of defective Espace displays today, and found that the older version (Before BII) was produced by JAEGER, and the newer by Valeo. Jaeger put their logo in front of the display, to the right if I remember correctly. Theory is that if your display has 'JAEGER' printed on it, you do not have a BII. No logo/name = Valeo = BII.
Would be nice if someone else checked their display to verify or bust this 'myth'

Back to what you asked about: As far as I know, without a BII, you either have a trip computer or you don't. No activation is possible.
But I might be wrong...

E2 is equipment stage, B2 is BII-version(BII B1, BII B2 etc.)
roa

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 11:42:45 pm »

Ohh -you beat me to it, Dinsen .
-Must speed up my typing....
george

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 06:56:45 am »

My late 98 2.2 DT has the JAEGER cluster and no BII if this helps.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: