| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace runs file, but almost does not start...  (Read 12810 times)
Roland1975

« on: May 16, 2008, 10:58:41 pm »

I have a espace 2.0 with the F3R engine. It did run fine for almost 5 months, but now it really start terrible. I check a lot of things, but cannot fid the reason why it does not start.
Does anybody experienced the same failure. It sounds like it starts..revs a little bit...and then stalls.....if I try again I will only hear the starter engine....no revs and all....if I disconnect the vacum hose to the cannister it will start somethimes .... please help
Roland1975

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:07:55 pm »

For got to mention: petrol filter, spark plugs, air filter are brand new .... after I finally got it working yesterday I drove 220 KM of German autobahn ... speeds up to 170 KM/H and no problems .... today starting again same problem....and injection failure warning when starting.....never had injection failure during normal driving....
Also idling is no problem....

Really have no clue what could be wrong....
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 07:04:33 am »

Hi Roland, welcome to the forum!

This is most likely a faulty sensor or a cable fault, Roland. You have to go to a garage and have the diagnostic computer connected to show faults on the injection system. It could be the water temperature sensor that has failed, but as you now have the car itself telling you something is wrong, chances are really good that the diagnostic tools will locate the problem right away. I.e. off to the nearest Renault garage! Smiley

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 07:06:14 am by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Roland1975

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 07:42:03 pm »

Thank you for your advice! I think it is a good idea to go to the renault dealer, but I am afraid it will be expensive.

I noticed one message where you changed you gaskit because the car was leaking oil. I have exactly the same problem ... I will fix this somewhere in the next weeks. How did you solve the gearbox leak? Was it a matter of exchanging some seals? Or did you have to take out the complete gearbox?

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 08:02:37 pm »

I noticed one message where you changed you gaskit because the car was leaking oil. I have exactly the same problem ... I will fix this somewhere in the next weeks. How did you solve the gearbox leak? Was it a matter of exchanging some seals? Or did you have to take out the complete gearbox?

It was the seal on the shift rod that leaked. On these gearboxes, the shift rod is in the bottom of the gearbox. I don't know the details, as my regular garage did the job, but they didn't have to remove the gearbox as they had a split seal that could be fitted without taking the rod out. I suggest you ask around - this must be a common problem on all gearboxes that has the shift rod coming in from below.

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Roland1975

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 02:10:01 pm »

To conclude this topic....

I went to a renault dealer (very big one). They used the clip-software to make a diagnose. The system reported two errors ... idle valve ... one coil for sparkplugs not okay. Idle valve I already exchange so they ignored this error ... coil has been replaced. They also gave me some additional screws I missed on the espace.

The work shop supervisor is also a espace III fan and explain a lot about the diagnostics clip. It seems to be possible to use it on a espace 97, but somethimes some diagnostics do not seem to work perfect and they need the XR25 diagnostics. Clip gives a lot of values on the screen which do not apply for the espace 97 ...
Roland1975

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 07:20:47 pm »

I regret to tell ....

It was not the end of the story. After 4 days my car again does not start anymore. Same problem like before. I will start investigating tomorrow. If anybody has a suggestion where to start this would be nice. I starting to wonder if it is not an electrical connection problem...to much voltage loss on contacts...it does not make sense to me it sometimes works fine and sometimes does not start (starter engine does run).

help....
Roland1975

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 10:01:04 pm »

I found something interesting ....

If I turn ignition on and do not start ... the red immobilazor light keeps flashing rapidly!!
If I red the manual correctly this indicates the engine is blocked!!! It should extingish after 3 sec?
Is this true Huh I am starting to believe it has nothing todo with my engine at all???
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 08:21:35 am »

I found something interesting ....

If I turn ignition on and do not start ... the red immobilazor light keeps flashing rapidly!!
If I red the manual correctly this indicates the engine is blocked!!! It should extingish after 3 sec?
Is this true Huh I am starting to believe it has nothing todo with my engine at all???

This should have been the first thing explained to new Renault owners.

Rapid flashing of the immobiliser light shows that the immobiliser is still locked.  So (on any Renault when this happens) there is no point in even turning the engine over, it will not start.  You are just wasting battery.

You need to find out why it is not unlocking.  It can be faulty key plip, receiver, immobiliser, injection computer, reader ring, wiring, network, etc.  There is no one simply check here.  The correct sequence is as follows:  The warning light should be flashing at one second intervals when car is locked.  Then on early models, when the plip is operated to open the doors remotely, it also turns off the immobiliser so the warning light stops flashing.  If the ignition is not turned on or the engine started within 20 secs. the immobiliser resets and locks the system.  To release it again simply point the infra-red plip at the receiver and press the plip twice (once to lock and a second time to unlock).  On later Renaults with the radio type plip, unlocking the doors has no effect on the immobiliser as it is a separate system.  Here there is a reader ring around where you insert the key, so this reads the key code, sends it to the immobiliser and if it is correct accepts it, and sends a signal to the inj. computer to unlock it.

Often if you turn the key too quickly after inserting it, it doesn't read it properly, and stays locked.  Best to insert the key, turn the ignition on, pause a fraction of a second, and the warning light should stop flashing, stay on for a second and then go out.  The system is then unlocked and you can start.

If you insert the key and turn the ignition on, and the warning light flashes rapidly, it means either the plip is wrong for the car; faulty or hasn't been read; or there is some fault in the system.  Sometimes the reader rings fail, sometimes the wiring is a problem, sometimes it is the immobiliser.  When I check any Renault for starting problems I always check ALL the computers for faults not just the inj. computer, and any RTE or competent technician should do the same.  Some however don't either because they are lazy or just don't understand the systems and their interactions properly.

For instance another problem for not starting can be due to the air-bag computer having locked the system after a bump.  It doesn't have to be an accident though - I have seen cars towed in where this has happened and they have need a new air-bag computer.  Or another problem is a computer has become reset to the wrong type - it was common on Scenics to somehow become reset to type 2 instead of type 1 and they would not recognise plip/release immobiliser/release inj. computer!  Simply reconfiguring the computer back to type 1 sorted the problem.  There are other possibilities too, which is why you have to really understand these complex networked computer systems and the possible interactions fully.

So you may have a faulty pilp, and if you have your second key when it happens again, remove the first, allow at least 10 secs before inserting the second and then try again.  If it now works properly, it probaby indicates a key plip that is failing.  If neither key will release the system, it usually means the key plips are fine, and the fault is in the system.  You will need to get the system read by Clip at a dealer and then follow up on what the fault code indicates.

Roy

Roland1975

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 06:55:34 pm »

Thanks for you good and complete answer. I will check the wiring my self (am electrical engineer...did even did some CAN programming ... but that's a different story). If I do not find loose wires or bad connections I will bring the car to the renault dealer.

Very stupid I did not notice the flashing light before ... I never took notice before of the behaviour of the ligtht ... simply read it yesterday in the garage manual which can be found on this site ...

many Thanks
Roland1975

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 12:34:34 am »

I have found the problem and fixed it ....

I took apart the imobilazor and connected it to a 12V power supply...and check if its internal power supply was okay ... it was exact 5V and the pulse led output did work ... in my car it did not work anymore.
The imobilazer did not work properly because its "before ignition" voltage was pending between +5V and +9V.  I dissambled the complete dashboard ... to find underneath the metal panel next to the fuse box a connector with heave oxidation ... it turned out to pins of the connector broke ?? Due to corrosion. After fixing it (rewiring out side the connector) the imobilazor worked fine again ... start problems are gone ... I think I spend a total of 6 hours measuring and disassembling ... I am happy it now works ... would have been a big bill if Renault had done the searching....
renaultbiler

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 01:17:52 pm »

great - just for other users, your Espace is Pre CAN model then (97-98) with separate immobilizer, later the immobilizer is part of the BII unit.

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
Roland1975

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 07:56:09 pm »

Yes is a march 97 model ...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: