| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Sorry to the purists! Murena 2.0 !!  (Read 62255 times)
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 08:08:55 pm »

Guesing...Renault engine Cool

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Matranut

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 09:50:01 pm »

Awesome!! we need more of these stories on the site ! Smiley.. (well.. if michael will let us Wink )

I'm not a judge and everybody has his own responsibility. This night i had a dream - i was driving something like MS670 on the circuit. so today, i browsed through a lot of pictures of Matra race cars and have seen pictures from Mortefontaine in 1997. Behind the MS120 there is a group of Murenas - all of them are in the original condition. It really looks like Matra meeting. When there will be more and more conversions, tunings and other ways of making "anything else" but not nice Murena, than one day the Matra meeting will be anything else but not Matra meeting.
I don't mind about your converted cars, but still couldn't understand why you are doing this just to a Matra? When i sold my silver 2,2 for cca 5000,-Eur 3 years ago, i was thinking what else to buy? I decided again for Murena, simply because i love the car, the history of Matra and its spirit, which is in this car. If you don't like a Murena, if you don't care about the real feeling of driving the product of all Matra engineers, than i understand it...
I can see I have stirred a hornets nest here! All I can say is.............. IF replacement cylinderheads and various other parts were still readily available at sensible money I would have kept my lovely car original but sadly thats not the case, so..................
Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 05:09:32 pm »

Anders’ and Roy’s comments about corrosion in the Murena 2.2 cylinder head makes me wonder if Peugeot/ Talbot had any special specification or requirements for the coolant fluid? I know that some manufactures requires that only their own coolant fluid is used in their engines.

Hans
lewisman

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 01:33:00 am »

At the end of the day the 2.2 is (and was) an ancient engine forced on Matra against their wishes.  When running well and tuned to 142 spec it is still quite a nice lump.  As a "sportscar" engine though (even in the 80's) it would not be anyone's first choice.

I respect "originality" but most of us would like a murena on the road with an engine that is reliable and performs like it should.

I run Alfas and Fiats day to day and if any of their engines went bang because they hit 8K revs by accident......
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 08:31:17 am »

At the end of the day the 2.2 is (and was) an ancient engine forced on Matra against their wishes. 

I don't agree with this, because I have some historic materials, that Matra ingeneers first wanted this Chrysler engine into a M530, there are pictures when they fitted the 1,8 engine instead of V4 Ford. But because it must have been placed longitudialy, there were no place arround and also it was too heavy. But in Murena, where is a lot of place and engine was placed transversely it was a simple choice. And in 1980 its power, grip and top speed was far better than at concurents.
I think that some of these conversioners and tunners wants to have a modern sport car, some of them are making a Ferrari from Murena or wants to drive a Murena like "Impreza WRX", and it's a nonsense - Murena is 30 years old classic car! Simply explanation is, that they want to have something different for what they don't have money - and that's vexatious  Roll Eyes

Matranut

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 10:03:35 pm »

Sorry Michael but I think you are really off the mark here! I am very sure that the majority of owners including me, would like to keep their cars original but it simply isnt possible or in many cases practical at sensible cost. If we all had many thousands of spare cash we could all have perfect cars - this is not true life for most of us! We love the cars and want to keep them on the road so have to do what we need to do to achieve that. Sure, in my case I have chosen a more modern engine but the overall cost of the conversion was more than my car is actually worth in the UK! I could have bought another Murena with the cost of the conversion but what to do with the first one?? Surely even you have to agree it is better to keep the car on the road than scrap it?
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 04:46:41 pm »

Sorry Michael but I think you are really off the mark here! I am very sure that the majority of owners including me, would like to keep their cars original but it simply isnt possible or in many cases practical at sensible cost. If we all had many thousands of spare cash we could all have perfect cars - this is not true life for most of us! We love the cars and want to keep them on the road so have to do what we need to do to achieve that. Sure, in my case I have chosen a more modern engine but the overall cost of the conversion was more than my car is actually worth in the UK! I could have bought another Murena with the cost of the conversion but what to do with the first one?? Surely even you have to agree it is better to keep the car on the road than scrap it?

Everything is possible (there is still a lot of Tagora engines for very low price) but using a modern engine in the old sports car is the same like destruction of it, it's not a Matra anymore, it's not a new car, so what is it? You are right - your car has now very low value, because it is an old car, but not an original piece, so what to do with it?

Matranut

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 09:19:47 pm »

I can see your point but in fact I believe my car is actually now more likely to receive better attention (in the UK) from potential Matra owners BECAUSE it has a modern, more fuel efficient engine with readily available parts to keep it easily on the road. You say the Tagora engine is easily available (perhaps in your country it is) but perhaps you are not aware that it was recently reported that in UK there are only 5, yes 5 Tagoras still registered - engine availability is therefore hopeless! At the end of the day my car is useable, should be reliable and apart from the fact that it has slightly more power than an original 'S' is still basically the same car and with Matra's connection with Ford in days gone by, I believe, not too far from a sensible option of modification. I am happy with it and thats all that matters!
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 09:40:40 pm »

I think you two should simply agree to DISagree Smiley
Matranut

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 07:19:40 pm »

I totally concur - it was fun though!! Wink
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2009, 08:01:56 am »

Quote Michael
----------------
your car has now very low value, because it is an old car, but not an original piece.
====================================================

It has low value now, and for the next 3 generations to come it will stay that way.
By that time I am at the other side of the gras.
If you have a Murena to hope it gets some value, you wil be disapointed.
This cars are not realy wanted.

Tagora engines are nowhere to find.
I can find a 2.2 Murena engine more easyly then a Tagora engine.
If you want this cars to drive for the next decennia, then the engine has to go in time.
Mine is still running fine, but can die tomorow.
Then there are 2 options if you can't find another engine.
1 scrap it
2 try to get it running with an alternative engine.

Matter of choices

michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 09:28:40 pm »

Where is the problem with 2,2 engine? I bought my Murena with totally damaged engine, one piston was missing, there was a hole in one cylinder, etc. If you have the cyl.block than you can make new unit very easily - cyl.head? Is sometimes on e-bay (for 150 - 300,-E) or you can buy one from Peugeot 2,2 TI. Camshaft? I sent it to Belgium for renovation and they sent me renovated piece back for 200,-E. Pistons - very often on e-bay for 90,-E. Crankshaft - renovation is possible, bearings also aren't problem. There is sometimes to sell a Tagora 2,2 for less than 500,-E on e-bay, or leboncoin.fr or anciennes.net or simcannonces or ... at this times when world is too small because of the internet, when is possible to make everything, is unbelievable that somebody can say "it's not possible"...
When you're using good oil (Simca aime Shell Wink ) and if you don't have problem with cooling, than this engine is very reliable and able to make 500.000km with no problem (as my Tagora GLS did, only timing chain and valve seals had to be changed in cca 200.000km).
I don't have Murena for its value, because I won't sell it - never! I have it for that special feeling when I'm driving it - on the circuit or for daily driving on summer, or on the way for 1000km to Matra meetings in Germany or France...

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 09:51:00 pm »

Yep, this engines are ok, but cilinderheads are nowhere to find, or you have to pay dearly.
Don't forget, the Tagora was used with a different  style of driving.
Murena 2.2 engines don't hold that long, but 2-300.000 is possible if you keep it in shape, and keep an eye on the rpm.

krede
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2009, 10:19:56 pm »

I've managed to pick up two spare cylinder heads in the two years I've had my murena... that makes four in total with the one on the car and the one on my turbo engine... so they CAN be found..

But I still have very little love for the 2.2 lump be it standard or tuned, and I understand why people are not willing to fork out the huge amounts of cash it takes to properly rebuild a 2.2.
If I had the skill and time to do a proper swap I too would probably go for a different engine if mine bought the farm tomorrow... but I don't, and besides the Danish legislations are "troublesome" regarding engine swaps.... to say the least..

But that said... I wouldn't tear out the three original seats and install two racing in stead... I wouldnt fit a a huge 747 wing at the back, a "ferrari bonnet" or "modern" alloy wheels... etc etc...
My point is.. that people have bought the car... and as such are allowed to do to it what they want!!!..... and each of us has a "limit" as to what we think is "acceptable" modifications... (aftermarket gear nob anyone??.. steering wheel replaced??)
 Mr.Dinsen for instance... fits parts to his car that he has bought in Biltema.. something I would never do.
Yet I fit fuel injetion and throttlebodies... while he think that twin carbs suit the car much better... who is right??
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2009, 10:32:21 pm »

The steering wheel and gearstick I changed the first day I had the car.
In driving with the old stuff, it made me think at the rubber stuff used in SM cellars Tongue
The ferrarie hood has one big advantage.
No more steamy windows, and no window heater needed in winter.
In time I will get rid of all nags the car has, therefore some original things has to go.
I want this car to drive the way I want it.

Don't get me wrong, at first site it wil always be a murena.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: