| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Espace III exhaust manifold support  (Read 4486 times)
jack daniels

« on: January 15, 2010, 02:47:34 pm »

Hi folks, this is my first post on this forum.
I just happened to be out lying under under my car in the -18 degree cold one evening last week, just casually observing the fantastic Matra design, when I noticed the support braket for the lower exhaust manifold flange was not connected.
    I immediately assumed the local garage was at fault here since they replaced the cat. converter a month back, however when I compared the before and after photos from the cat. replacement job, I see the support bracket was not connected when the original cat. was on the car either.

So my question is should it be used or not? Are the small screws holding the manifold on the cyl. head being overstressed without the extra support?  Or have Renault discovered that there is more manifold trouble when the support is used. After all, the support bracket is attached to the gearbox.

If anyone else happens to observe this bracket, especially if the factory fitted original exhaust is on the car, I'd be appreciative to hear of it's status.

Grand Espace III   2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:00:16 pm by jack daniels » Logged

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
BrianM

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:20:47 am »

As it was designed to have it then you should fir a new bolt. It is not unusual to find this bolt loose. I have had to remove an exhaust manifold & weld repair due to cracks. You don't want to have to pay for this job so best fit the bolt.
jack daniels

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:01:18 pm »

thanks for the reply.
now I recall that the cylinder head was replaced with 42,000 km on the clock after the dealer installed the fanbelt incorrectly back in 2006.         
       ...that may be why the support is not connected.

I'd better refit it before the cat. hits a clump of ice or snow.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:40:56 pm by jack daniels » Logged

Espace, Grand (magnifique, formidable, grandiose, considérable, noble, ample) III  
2002   JE02   F4R  DP0   2.0L 16v auto
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: