| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Best tires for original alloys ??  (Read 112679 times)
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2011, 05:14:12 pm »

You never know where things are made.
Lots of firms have started production lines in China.
You put the right name on it and it will sell.
Sometimes on the box you see funny things, like made for Germany  Wink
In fact the only thing German is the name-sticker.

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
speedyK

« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2012, 10:27:28 pm »

Well, it's nearly a year since the last post on this topic...

My Murena 2.2 still has some very old Michelins on it and I really should replace them. Anyone got any ideas about what the best replacement that is now available will be? Please note that I'm on stock rims and that the Swiss do not tolerate deviations from the size specified in the car's technical details!

Incurable petrolhead!
uberprutser

« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2012, 07:49:02 pm »

There is not much choice anymore. Especially 195/60R14 is almost extinct.
The ContiPremiumContact 2 might be an option.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2012, 09:06:25 am »

I run on the PremiumContact 2. 185/60HR14 front and 195/60HR14 rear.

I think they are a little soft in the side walls and it took a bit of getting used to. After I got mine I found that they make a 195/60VR14. The V rated tire should have stiffer side walls and may give better handling, even if it is only on the rear. They do not make the 185's in a V rated.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2012, 11:27:39 am »

I run on the PremiumContact 2. 185/60HR14 front and 195/60HR14 rear.

I think they are a little soft in the side walls and it took a bit of getting used to. After I got mine I found that they make a 195/60VR14. The V rated tire should have stiffer side walls and may give better handling, even if it is only on the rear. They do not make the 185's in a V rated.

Not much choices.
Or you deside to drive slow with shitty tires or go for different diameter wheels.
The eco tires are all soft sidewall and that is what the Murena doesn't like in fast corners.
That in combination with end of life shocks at the rear wil giv a bad behavior.

uberprutser

« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2012, 02:44:27 pm »

You need to be quick if you want to have the Conti's.
According to the Conti website they are only available till the stock runs out.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/automobile/themes/car-tires/summer-tires/contipremiumcontact-2/contipremiumcontact-2,tabNr=4.html

The V rated tire at the back and the lower 55 profile at the front might be the way to go.
JL

« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2012, 11:07:00 pm »

For what it is worth I run winter tyres all year round, Toyo Snowprox. Pretty good on the road particularly in the wet but I would not sling the car around a dry race track on them, it all depends on how you want to use your car.

Regards
John
speedyK

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2012, 12:41:00 am »

Thanks for all the replies.

I had been intending to get the Conti PremiumContact 2s based on my own research before I joined here and read the negative comments about them. that's why I revived this thread.

Worrying to hear that the Contis are just remaining stock. Perhaps I'd better hurry – and see about perhaps getting the V-rated rears.

Incurable petrolhead!
uberprutser

« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2012, 04:40:51 pm »

Two other tires you might consider. Avon ZV3 and Toyo Proxes CF1.

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/car/zv3
http://www.toyotire-benelux.com/tire/pattern/proxes-cf1

The Avon is also available in 185/55R14.

The Proxis gets the better reviews. But probably non of the reviewers drives a Murena Smiley

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Toyo/Proxes-CF1.htm
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/car/zv3
speedyK

« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2012, 10:53:54 pm »

Thanks for the info.

Having looked at the tests, I hope to get the Contis.

Incurable petrolhead!
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2012, 12:52:36 pm »

Thanks for the info.

Having looked at the tests, I hope to get the Contis.

Anyone looking for good tyres for the Murena on the original 14" alloys, should consider these two:

Uniroyal RainExpert  and  Vredestein Hi-Trac 2
They both come in my recommended sizes: 185/55 x 14 for the front and 195/60 x 14 for the rear in original HR rating.  They are directional and good in the wet.  Keep a 185/60 x 14 non-directional spare tyre (which can be used in emergency on either side and front or rear).

Check them out on mytyres.com and see what they look like.

Roy.

TimS

« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2012, 09:38:04 pm »

Looking at the vredesteins, but Kwikfit currently offering 25% off, so trying to see what they can get.
TimS

« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2012, 10:36:19 pm »

Just to try and start up this topic again...I am looking at getting my car through the MOT sooner than planned and so getting my wheels blasted and powder coated. I then need to get some new tyres. As i haven't been able to drive the car extensively like you guys the tyre selection is a bit of a problem.

I have had a look at what is available in the uk at the moment and the choices about tyre size. Now I've seen what has been said about Michelins and I have to say that I have used them for years but always on high performance front wheel drive cars such as my Golf GTi and on my old Carerra 4 911 where they were excellent. However I've not had such a light car as the Murena for a long time and can appreciate why they might be a little hard.

The Michelins have always given good feel  once warmed up after a couple of miles, whereas the Contis can be a bit soft. Uniroyals I don't know, so a couple of questions.

Has anyone tried a higher speed rated tyre than the H and felt that the ride is too hard or the sidewall too stiff?
Has anyone else tried setting up the car as Roy has done with 55 profile at the front? What difference have you noticed?

I need to try and and decide from others something I would normally know instinctively from driving the car.

I can get Michelin Energys for £290 for 4 fitted, 195/60/14H and 185/55/14H or £235 with 185/60 on the front. The 55's do cost a little.
I can also get the Uniroyal rain expert for the same money as the Michelins. So normally I would get the Michelin as the better tyre,

I can also get the vredestein Hitrac2 for the same money.

So any suggestions or updates since the last posts on here would be appreciated. I intend to set the car up for good handling at speed and long distance.
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2012, 11:12:36 pm »

I have the feeling that anything that say Energy/Eco better millage a gallon is not the tire for our Murena's.
At the moment I use tires that are out of production and the car feels perfectly fine.
My 2.2 setup is no longer original so my opinion doesn't count anymore.
Robert has the Uniroyals ( bit back in this topic) but was not impressed.
It's difficult to give a advice, but my best bet is to go for a harder sidewall at the rear.
Also shocks that are 30 years old can be of influence.

The 1.6 I have shortly has original wheels.
It was also a bit loose at the rear.
I mounted 2.2 springs and road-handling improved dramatic.
My conclusion is that the back needs to be a bit stiff for better road-handling.

The car is aa few cm higher at the rear now.

On the front I put new Koni's and stiffer rubber in the stabilizers.

I am not afraid to take high speed curves with this car.
Later on I put Spax on this car to.
It made a big improvement on the 2.2 and I expect it will work for this car to.
I try to keep the original wheels this time.

Not much help i'm afraid,

Greetings herman
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:28:14 pm by Oetker » Logged

klumzer

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2013, 08:22:25 pm »

I have Pirelli tyres on the original alloys, P6000 and Pirelli Drago. But they are quite old (2002-2003) and hardened unfortunately so I have to change them.
Now I am searching...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: