| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Serious challenges.  (Read 66671 times)
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 04:40:01 pm »

OK, measurements.
Looked the thing up and mede pictures.
It's always in the last storagebox  Undecided

If you want the whole thing you can have it for shipment cost.
If you only want the spring then tell me.
Mail or PM me ad
matramaf@gmail.com
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:38:34 pm by Oetker » Logged

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 06:30:03 pm »

OK, measurements.
-----
If you want the whole thing you can have it for shipment cost.
If you only want the spring then tell me.
Mail or PM me ad
matramaf@gmail.com
Herman. You are the man. Grin
I only need the spring, since I intend to attempt to assemble the spanner mechanism while the block is still mounted in the car. I will take pictures of how I do. Wink
I have a spring that could be cut to length and has the right outer diameter. But the wire is .78 mm, not .66 as yours. I am afraid it would be too stiff.
I will send you a PM.
Thanks. Jon

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 10:16:24 am »

It's posted.

Regards Herman

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 01:42:17 pm »

It's posted.

Regards Herman
Thanks. again.
By the way. Did you ever fit the high fifth gear set in your box?
I never got around to fitting mine. But now that the box will come off to install the 2nd. gear I got from our spare box, the high 5th gear will be installed.
I remember that you were interested in a shim that is needed. Do you still need one?
Regards.
Jon

P.S. I will update the other threads about high 5th. gear and the defective 2nd. gear when I finish the work. It has been a while since they were on top, so others might want to know.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:45:16 pm by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 03:13:29 pm »

5th gear is running for a while now.
Didn't need the shim but this box need 2nd gear doing to.
Therefore I have a 2.2 box from a accident car and that one is fine but will be checked.
I don't know if  the 5th has a Fiat/Lancia sync
Then I need one.
But that is for later.

During this job I have filled the trailing arms with oil and closed all holes.
They wil not rust again.

Thanks for your offer but if needed you will hear me Cool

regards Herman
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:15:37 pm by Oetker » Logged

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 10:54:18 am »

Didn't need the shim but this box need 2nd gear doing to.
Therefore I have a 2.2 box from a accident car and that one is fine but will be checked.
I don't know if  the 5th has a Fiat/Lancia sync
Then I need one.
But that is for later.

-------
Thanks for your offer but if needed you will hear me Cool

regards Herman

Hi Herman.
I didn't remember that the synchro fork needed to be modified, so thanks for the reminder  Grin
I assume you also had to modify the bell housing, right? It looks like the gear won't fit inside. Strangely, mine has already some modification done, but it does not seem to be enough. Sad
Regards.
Jon.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:52:33 pm by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 11:18:56 am »

I'm not sure if it is needed.
My friend  (mechanic I work with) took a bit of the back bellhousing.

Herman

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 03:49:23 pm »

I have a question that has been bothering me. When I took the head off to have it refurbished I backed off all the bolts on the rockers so there was no pressure on the cam shaft. Still, in order to get it out I had to hit it from the end with a nylon rod and a hammer. It did not slide out easily. Is it supposed to just slide out? Huh

Now that I am reassembling it I again had to hit it with a hammer (wooden) to get it back in. It does not turn easily. There is a rather large amount of friction to overcome, but then it turns fairly easy for a bit before sticking again. It has been lubricated, so oil is present in all bearings. How easy is it supposed to turn? Huh

I was surprised when I noticed that there is no bearing inserts for the cam shaft to turn in. Apparently it just turns in the aluminium that the head is made of.

So, if it is supposed to turn freely what could have happened. I talked to the guy who welded the cracks and he said that his work was so far from the cam bearings that no warping could take place. It did not get that warm there. Besides it was already sticking before he worked on it.

Can I just hone the bearing a little bit until the cam shaft slides in easy, or is it really supposed to be that tight a fit? Huh
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:54:19 pm by Jon Weywadt » Logged

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 04:09:14 pm »

-----
regards Herman

Hi Herman.

I have looked at the post about high 5th. gear and notice that all your nice pictures just show as a ? mark icon. Perhaps I do not have the right add-on app to show them. What format are they in?

Regards.
Jon.

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 04:58:12 pm »

Yep Thanks to imageshack that let them disappear.
That's why I no longer post them there.
I have uploaded all to Google now but did not everywhere made the links again.
I will see into it for this forum.
In the mean time the pics are  in this topic.

http://www.matramania.be/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1664

I had a lot of trouble with imageshack.
I had 3500 pics uploaded there and they gave me 14 days to reduce it to 500 or pay.
I'm a cheapskate and deleted 3000 pics.
It's a lot of work to link all content again om several forums.

Concerning the head I'm not sure if this is right but noticed something simmilair in a head that was on the table a whle ago.
I still could turn it by hand.
This is mounted in a car that is in engine resto from a fellow member.
That car is of road since 2 year now.
When he finnish the job we will now if everything is OK.

Herman

GL

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2014, 05:11:15 pm »

I had 3500 pics uploaded there and they gave me 14 days to reduce it to 500 or pay.

That is a lot of pictures..... Huh
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 05:28:53 pm »

Yes, and all about Murena resto's

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2014, 09:44:48 pm »

-----
regards Herman

Hi Herman.

I have looked at the post about high 5th. gear and notice that all your nice pictures just show as a ? mark icon. Perhaps I do not have the right add-on app to show them. What format are they in?

Regards.
Jon.

I have replaced the pics in that topic.
If alright they are visable now.

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2014, 10:14:11 pm »

----
I have replaced the pics in that topic.
If alright they are visable now.
That worked beautiful. They are all visible now. Thanks. Cheesy Cheesy

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2014, 01:27:06 am »

I have a question that has been bothering me. When I took the head off to have it refurbished I backed off all the bolts on the rockers so there was no pressure on the cam shaft. Still, in order to get it out I had to hit it from the end with a nylon rod and a hammer. It did not slide out easily. Is it supposed to just slide out? Huh

Yes.

Now that I am reassembling it I again had to hit it with a hammer (wooden) to get it back in. It does not turn easily. There is a rather large amount of friction to overcome, but then it turns fairly easy for a bit before sticking again. It has been lubricated, so oil is present in all bearings. How easy is it supposed to turn? Huh

You have something wrong Jon.  Either the head is warped or the camshaft is bent.  Since it was like this before you stripped and had the repair, if it is warped, it was warped before the repair.

The camshaft should slide in and out easily and you should be able to spin it by hand.

I was surprised when I noticed that there is no bearing inserts for the cam shaft to turn in. Apparently it just turns in the aluminium that the head is made of.

Which is fine.  Many engines are like that.

Can I just hone the bearing a little bit until the cam shaft slides in easy, or is it really supposed to be that tight a fit? Huh

No.  Don't do anything like that until both the head and cam have been measured for alignment.  You need to know what is faulty.  Imagine a bent cam - if you removed metal from the cam bores on the head you would have to take so much off to allow for the oscillation that the clearances would be too great and you would loose oil pressure.

If the head is warped, you could have the cam bearing holes line-bored but they have to be aligned with the head face otherwise as you torque the head down it will force them out of alignment again.

Years ago Dolomite Sprints had this problem where the heads were distorted and people skimmed them flat leaving the cam bearings out of alignment, and then they would snap the camshafts!  So the head face and cam bearing holes must be accurately aligned.  If you have to line bore the cam bearing holes then either they will have to be sleeved to bring them back to the original size to match the camshaft, or you would need cam bearings to take up the clearances.

Note the cam bearings are all different sizes.

Regarding the inside of the gearbox end casing, you do have to remove a little from the boss around the bolt holes otherwise the teeth of the larger gear will foul them.  You can check this easily as you offer the casing up to the new high fifth installation.

Roy
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:32:53 am by roy4matra » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: