| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Missing "link" between engine and gearbox  (Read 5887 times)
gtv63

« on: November 07, 2015, 02:27:22 pm »

Hi, tried to bring the engine and gearbox back together yesterday after an engine overhaul, but something seems to be missing? Should there be a thin plate between the two? In Simons catalog it's called schutzblech, but the part shown here is for the 1,6. Is there a similar part for the 2,2?

Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:28:56 am »

Never saw it before on the cars I worked on.
Or it was rusted away or never mounted, no idea but best explenation would be, never put back after repair  Wink

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Bart_Maztra

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:20:20 am »

I think it is located between the starter and the bell housing.

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 03:50:15 pm »

I think it is located between the starter and the bell housing.

The Murena 2.2 does not have any plate between the engine and gearbox.

The Murena 1.6 generally does not have a plate either but some of the Simcas were fitted with this plate and if you have one it is a good idea to fit it.  Also there may be a support plate at the end of the starter motor furthest away from the bell housing.  This is definitely worth fitting.

The problem is that the starter motor on the 1.6 is bolted to the bell housing and this part of the bell housing can break off complete with starter motor and fall down, possibly shorting the electrics too!  It has just happened to one club member.  The support plate will prevent this happening.

The starter motor on the 2.2 is bolted to the cast iron engine block NOT the bell housing.  Since this is stronger, you do not have the problem which can afflict the 1.6 model.

Roy

alfafred

Murena 2,2 S

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 01:41:41 pm »

But on the 2,2 it seems to be a small distance between the oilsump and lower part of gearbox, I guess 0,7-0,9 mm. This is no problem? Just to bolt the gearbox on engine and oilsump?..
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 03:51:08 pm »

But on the 2,2 it seems to be a small distance between the oilsump and lower part of gearbox, I guess 0,7-0,9 mm. This is no problem? Just to bolt the gearbox on engine and oilsump?..

No, there should be no gap whatsoever.  You need to find out why you have a gap.  If the gap is only at the bottom, that suggests the gearbox is not correctly in line with the engine.  I refitted a CX transaxle to a Murena 2.2 engine only recently and it went all the way easily and there was no gap anywhere around the bell housing.  You need to remove the transaxle again and look carefully to find what is causing the problem.  There are dowel rings around two bolt holes - are you sure one of these is not causing a problem?

Roy

gtv63

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 08:13:56 pm »

Thank you all for your replies.
The small gap was the oilsump not in line with the engine bloc.
I had to loosen the bolts around and pull it towards the gearbox. It is now nice and tight all around.
Next, getting the engine back in the car whitin a week Smiley
Thanks to Roy and alfafred for your advice and help.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: