| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: I'm leaking! Water expansion tank in the engine bay for Murena 2.2  (Read 94081 times)
davidewanprice
« on: May 01, 2007, 10:01:29 pm »

It seems I’m leaking water, looks like the old water Reservoir expansion tank in the engine bay in my Murena is leaking, i think its getting old and is not doing too well when the engine gets hot. Which could get scary if it lets go! Anyone got a spare original, failing that has anyone had joy in finding a suitable modern replacement?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 10:23:01 pm by davidewanprice » Logged
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:27:16 am »

As ever, try Sports Car Unlimited in Newcastle for a replacement.
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 09:52:40 am »

Is it leaking when the car is cold or only when you've driven it? If the water level goes up to full, it can leak out of the hose connected to the top of the header tank - this is a sign of a boiling engine, which will typically occur if you have a (perhaps unnoticed) leak around the water pump.

If you can't find one, I have been told that the reservoir from Audi/VW 19 TDI is useful and fits nicely in the corner. It also featuers a coolant level warning sensor. I haven't tried it myself, though, but I'm also looking for a good replacement - not necessarily an original one.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
davidewanprice
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 09:01:33 pm »

Anyone got a number for sports cars unlimited?
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 08:55:48 am »

0191 281 4036, ask for Gordon.
davidewanprice
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 10:58:56 pm »

Ive taken some pictures of my header tank, but im not sure how to upload  so can i email the pictures to someone with a 2.2 Murena and compare. Just let me know you email and i'll send them to you. Ive found one but want to make sure its the same before i buy it. Thanks
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 11:52:59 pm »

not sure how to upload
Just click the "Additional Options" below the entry field where you write your message. In the "Attach" field you either write the full pathname of the picture, or (much easier) click "Browse" and find the picture that way.

If you have more than one picture, click "(more attachments)".

If everything fails, email  them to me (Lennart@MatraSport.dk) and I will put them up.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 10:30:50 pm »

picture from davidewanprice (through email) :

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 09:27:08 am »

Ive taken some pictures of my header tank, but im not sure how to upload  so can i email the pictures to someone with a 2.2 Murena and compare. Just let me know you email and i'll send them to you. Ive found one but want to make sure its the same before i buy it. Thanks

If the one you have found is similar to the one you have in the photo, then it is correct. That is certainly an original 2.2 header tank.

- Anders

Used to own:
davidewanprice
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 10:53:45 pm »

OK, its been a while, not long enough, Undecided but i've another cracked header tank! Not the same one by the way so i'm leaking again, a very nice water feature in the engine bay!

I'm giving up on the idea of buying second hand original, i'm thinking of investing in an Alloy header tank. Now Ive done a little searching on this and if money is no object I can have an exact replacement make for me which sounds great but not likely! So ive been looking round Ebay and other websites looking for something that will work in its place, so far the best one ive found is titled Alloy Radiator Header & Breather Tank (Pressure Cap Type) Cylindrical and is on the link below:

http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/Rat_Sport/index.php?cat=Radiator_Expansion_Tank___Swirl_Pot

Now this looks nice and has the correct number of inlet/outlet pipes BUT what Im worried about is that most of the diameters of these inlet/outlet pipes dont match the original pipes. eg the Bottom outlet pipe OD is 10mm whereas on the standard its more like 15mm, now would these restrictions cause problems ? On one of the pipes leading from the header to the area around the water pump, i notice this pipe starts as a 15mm pipe then reduces down to something more like 8 mm. Obviously I can by alloy reducer spacers and new pips but should I be doing this?

Some advise on this would be greatly appriciated as its a lot of money to spend if its no good for the car

Thanks as always,

David

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 11:54:49 pm »

Some advise on this would be greatly appriciated as its a lot of money to spend if its no good for the car

Thanks as always,

David

Hi David.

Sorry to hear about your header tank. I have always thought the standard tank in the Murena was ugly and needed a stainless or aluminium replacement. Cheesy
I have found several at Car Builders Solutions:
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/index.asp

I have not bought one yet, as I am not sure if they can be used. The pipes are not an exact match, so some tinkering will be required. The same seems to go for the one you show.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
davidewanprice
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 12:09:02 am »

Yes I have looked at their site, I think that the one priced very nicely at £45 must do the job but again the inlet/outlet sizes are far small than what we need and I'm not sure that the effect would be as a result, since it's under pressure I guess not much but I'm no expert... Ivealso seen one on eBay again for ~£40 for a Nissan skyline, this is a square tank but it doesn't say anything about pipe sizes our tank volume
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 02:02:40 pm »

Have you checked this one? They are somewhat pricey, but you can have them custom made.
http://www.evalution-designs.co.uk/Pages/Header%20Tanks.htm

Regarding connection sizes - it should not matter, except it's somewhat impractical to put reducers in the hoses instead of finding one that mates the original connections.

/Anders

Used to own:
GP
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 05:41:41 pm »

It seems I’m leaking water, looks like the old water Reservoir expansion tank in the engine bay in my Murena is leaking, i think its getting old and is not doing too well when the engine gets hot. Which could get scary if it lets go! Anyone got a spare original, failing that has anyone had joy in finding a suitable modern replacement?

I have a spare used original if you still want one?

G.P.
davidewanprice
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 08:00:42 pm »

You'll laugh but I had a spare too but it's cracked, I'm going to consider other options but it's a very kind offer. Thanks for the link Anders but looking at these items they'd need Modification plus a pressure cap which I guess will add up to the price of the one on ratsport.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: