| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Oil capacities  (Read 22588 times)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 02:19:26 pm »

If you could get good by-pass oil filters (that filter down to much smaller particle sizes) things would be even better, but I still haven't found any easily available yet.

I noticed the other day from his web site, that our German freind Bernhard Müller has designed an oil filter adapter so he can use VW filters on his 2.2 Murena engine. Not knowing exactly what a "good by-pass filter" is, I can't say if this helps you, Roy, but it just rang a bell...

- Anders

Thanks Anders, but I already have a remote oil filter on my 2.2 - it makes changing the filter easier and cleaner. (since it hangs down from the remote filter head, there is no oil spilled when changing unlike the upside down original which guarantees oil wil run down the block!)  I can also use a much more common filter with the remote since it takes a standard thread rather than the odd 16mm size that Talbot always used.

However, a by-pass filter is a different thing.  Normal filters only filter down to a certain size since they cannot have smaller pores otherwise the oil flow would be seriously impaired.  This means that many small particles will pass straight through.  A by-pass filter, has a section with much smaller pores and approx. 10% of the oil is passed through this to remove the tiny particles.  Over a period the oil is more thoroughly cleaned taking out all the smaller particles that a normal system misses.  This further extends the synthetic oils life whilst giving better protection against damage.

There will be an article in our magazine on this soon.

Roy
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 02:22:18 pm by roy4matra » Logged

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 04:03:46 pm »

If you could get good by-pass oil filters (that filter down to much smaller particle sizes) things would be even better, but I still haven't found any easily available yet.

I noticed the other day from his web site, that our German freind Bernhard Müller has designed an oil filter adapter so he can use VW filters on his 2.2 Murena engine. Not knowing exactly what a "good by-pass filter" is, I can't say if this helps you, Roy, but it just rang a bell...

- Anders

Thanks Anders, but I already have a remote oil filter on my 2.2 - it makes changing the filter easier and cleaner. (since it hangs down from the remote filter head, there is no oil spilled when changing unlike the upside down original which guarantees oil wil run down the block!)  I can also use a much more common filter with the remote since it takes a standard thread rather than the odd 16mm size that Talbot always used.

That sounds like a nice upgrade, Roy and even better than Bernhard's solution which is just straight on the block. Where did you find this item and is it something that is still available?

However, a by-pass filter is a different thing.  Normal filters only filter down to a certain size since they cannot have smaller pores otherwise the oil flow would be seriously impaired.  This means that many small particles will pass straight through.  A by-pass filter, has a section with much smaller pores and approx. 10% of the oil is passed through this to remove the tiny particles.  Over a period the oil is more thoroughly cleaned taking out all the smaller particles that a normal system misses.  This further extends the synthetic oils life whilst giving better protection against damage.

There will be an article in our magazine on this soon.

I understand why you find this interesting as it sounds like a much better filtering principle. I'll certainly look forward to the article.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 10:38:35 pm »

That sounds like a nice upgrade, Roy and even better than Bernhard's solution which is just straight on the block. Where did you find this item and is it something that is still available?

Yes these remote systems are available, but it is not something you can just go to a shop or on-line site and say i want this for a Murena.  The parts have been available for many years, and for instance in racing you might want a bigger or more easily accessible filter or an oil cooler, for a normal manufacturers car engine, and one simple way to convert a standard engine is to replace the 'spin-on' filter with an adaptor that has an output and return.  So instead of the oil coming out of the block into the filter and then returning to the block filtered, it comes out of the block, through the adaptor, via a special hose to the remote filter head, through the new filter, and back to the block via another hose and the adaptor.  if you require oil cooling you can connect a cooler via a thermostat to these remote filter heads.

All I did was obtain the necessary parts, had them make up some hoses to my requirements and fitted it to my Murena.

Roy

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 10:42:57 pm »

All I did was obtain the necessary parts, had them make up some hoses to my requirements and fitted it to my Murena.

Doing a quick search on Demon Tweeks I found the following items:

Take off plate:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=MOCTOP10
This is available in 16 mm.

Remote filter head:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=MOCRFH4

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: