| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Change between miles/hour and km/hour  (Read 17150 times)
Vintage1942

« on: November 06, 2007, 09:40:08 am »

I have an Espace 2001 with V6 engine. It is a wonderful car but I have a few problems.
I have tried to set my system to km/hour but it sticks to miles/hour. I must be doing something wrong. Is there someone who can tell me the correct procedure?
renaultbiler

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 02:38:06 pm »

Taking both your additional posts into consideration it might be likely that you have a problem with the BII unit (black box in the passenger compartment floor). The wiring between the BII and the instrument panel is 2 wire CAN bus only (and battery feed) and all configurations are stored in BII. If you are to renew the BII it is NOT automatically needed to do anything with the engine ECU like your garage has told you. New BII needs only new configuration when mounted in your car.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 10:50:53 pm by renaultbiler » Logged

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:26:36 pm »

I have an Espace 2001 with V6 engine. It is a wonderful car but I have a few problems.
I have tried to set my system to km/hour but it sticks to miles/hour. I must be doing something wrong. Is there someone who can tell me the correct procedure?

This is not a procedure that can be done without using the workshop Clip diagnosis equipment.  On later Renaults with electronic instruments it is possible for the owner to switch between imperial and metric themselves, but that is not available on your model.  So if it is reading mph you need to get the workshop to switch it to kph.  If they cannot get it to change then there must be a fault somewhere.

Roy

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:23:34 am »

On later Renaults with electronic instruments it is possible for the owner to switch between imperial and metric themselves, but that is not available on your model.
huh? - one of my UK friends had a JE 1997 2.2dt in which he could switch from mph to km/h.
But I'm confused, - you say "electronic instruments" - isn't that what all JE's have ?

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 11:21:36 am »

You beat me to it Lennart.... and much as I hate questioning Roy's comments given his Renault dealer background I have successfully changed between MPH and KPH on my 2002 2.2dCi.

To do it you turn the ignition key to the accessories position... push and hold down the button on the end of the right hand (lighting switch) stalk until the speed indicator flashes and then press the "M" button normally used for adjusting the time. Following that procedure switches the speed reading between MPH and KPH.

So unless there is something completely different with the dash/computer fitted to the JE with a V6 and it having the full trip computer enabled (giving average speed, average fuel consumption, current fuel consumption and estimated range) which the diesel doesn't have then I can't see why it shouldn't be possible to change between KPH and MPH. However, given the other issues being experienced by Vintage1942 and the fact that it won't retain the change in speed reading, I tend to agree with Renaultbiler that it points to a problem with the BII unit.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 01:23:09 am »

the button on the end of the right hand (lighting switch) stalk

eeerhm - does RHD Espaces have the lighting stalk on the right side of the steering wheel too ? - I certainly don't recall my friends (97 JE 2.2dT) to be like that.

Do you mean the "trip-computer button" (at the end of the wiper stalk, at least on LHD cars) ? 

PS: I think Roy was answering so many threads at once that he overlooked that the car in question is in fact a JE, - thus his comment on "later Espaces with electronic dashboards". So we're probably all right Smiley

Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
Martin Tyas

Espace, because it's worth it!

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 02:39:08 pm »

So we're probably all right Smiley

We are definitely not all right Lennart.... I am of course wrong... as you point out the trip-computer button (the one with 3 white dots) is on the end of the R/H stalk which is for the wipers not lights as I previously mentioned.
Although in the case of the diesel version that button's only function (apart from changing between MPH and KPH) is to zero the trip mileage as no other trip computer features are enabled.

Martin

1968 Cessna 182L Skylane
1991 BMW 520i SE Auto
2002 Grand Espace 2.2dCi "The Race"
2003 Astra 1.8i Cabriolet "Edition 100"
2011 Insignia SRi VX-Line Red
2011 Honda VT1300CX Fury
roa

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 05:32:15 pm »

Martin - I believe the DCI has the complete computer installed, but it is disabled if the car was sold "without" computer. To enable it you only need to hook it up to a Renault diagnosis system(CLIP) - the procedure takes approx 3 minutes...

Espaces with the dT engine, on the other hand, does not have the same possibility - maybe due to different version BII ??

-Read this on a french Espace-forum...
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 02:07:02 am »

On later Renaults with electronic instruments it is possible for the owner to switch between imperial and metric themselves, but that is not available on your model.
huh? - one of my UK friends had a JE 1997 2.2dt in which he could switch from mph to km/h.
But I'm confused, - you say "electronic instruments" - isn't that what all JE's have ?

/Lennart

Sorry Lennart, my terminology was a bit loose!  There are two versions of electronic instruments - early ones as on the Matra Espace JE models and later types as on the Renault Espace JK models (series IV).
The JE have less user switching ability than the JK.

Also on the JE basic panel you cannot user switch between kph and mph but maybe on the full ADAC version you can (as Martin has indicated) but I have not seen one of those here.

Roy

Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 12:46:26 am »

but I have not seen one of those here.
still strange, as my UK friend had a UK spec, RHD 97 JE 2.2dT which positively WAS able to switch between km and miles.  We did it every time we drove to Le Mans from UK.

/Lennart

george

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 06:54:24 am »

I have a RHD U.K spec 98 2.2 DT and can user switch from MPH to KPH, did it today.
renaultbiler

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 09:50:38 pm »

It is even described in the users manual on JE's

1980 Alpine A-310 w/GTA 2.5 V6 Turbo
2000 Grand Espace V6 24v Initiale: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2529
2000 Scenic RXi 2.0 16v IDE aut DP0: http://www.renaultbiler.no/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3751
1982 R20TX 2.2
Service Online: www.servicehefte.net/servdata/?cid=qqkX
Vintage1942

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 07:55:05 pm »

I have been able to get the first part going but I did not know the bit about pressing the button for minutes to switch between KM and miles. I do have a manual (In Dutch) but I have not seen the instructions probably because I am not too good in reading Dutch.
The car is with my son for the moment but I will be able to work on it during the weekend and then I will let you know if I manage to change it. If not I guess it is due to the other problems I have with the computer.
Thanks all for very valid comments and advice!!
roa

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 09:56:32 am »

Manuals in german to download here: www.hint.no/~roa/Owners manual/
-All manuals are scans transferred to pdf -format.
In my case, german is less "alien" than dutch...
Vintage1942

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 02:40:55 pm »

Hi all and again thank you for your help. Special thanks for the manual!
I entered the programming mode and pressed the "minutes" button and with this I could switch between Miles/h and km/h so the system is now set for Km/h. It seems this is designed so that you can have a car set for miles and switch to km/h when traveling in Europe. I now just have to find out how to also switch the total system into km since still my readout for distance is in miles.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: