| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Hi all!  (Read 40929 times)
RazorbackNOR

« on: January 16, 2008, 09:42:36 am »

Hello everybody.

New norwegian to the forum.

I'm considering buying b-havers Murena here in Norway. Just the usual wife problem and some moral dilemmas to...

2010 Mazda 3 1,6  Diesel Gunmetal Blue
1983 Matra Murena 2.2 Platine
50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:32:03 pm »

Hello, welcome! And we are looking forward to pics of Your Matra  Wink

phil75

Matra Passion Member

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 05:21:05 pm »

Welcome

- Philippe -
Matra Murena 2.2 1983 engine 20000 km
Yamaha R1 2004  9000 km (engine)
VW Golf II 1.8 1990 209000 km
Rover 111 1994 155000 km
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 11:19:36 pm »

Thanx. i¨m still thinking about buying the car, but there is some work that needs to be done on it. B-havers has just changed the faulty water pump, but it is somewhat unclear if the engine has been driven without cooling. The fuelpump also needs to be replaced, so i¨m also considering converting to an electric pump rather than fitting a "normal" one. Also, there is somewhat of a problem with "something" from what I could tell it seems to be either the carb or something with the ignition, probably rotor/sparkwire/sparkplugs. The headlights have a little problem, but probably nothing too serious. also seems to be needing a new temp.gauge.

Is 5000euros for this car somewhat to or what do you think? Its a 83mod 2,2 for those of you who havent seen it in here yet.

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 06:34:00 am »

Thanx. i¨m still thinking about buying the car, but there is some work that needs to be done on it. B-havers has just changed the faulty water pump, but it is somewhat unclear if the engine has been driven without cooling. The fuelpump also needs to be replaced, so i¨m also considering converting to an electric pump rather than fitting a "normal" one. Also, there is somewhat of a problem with "something" from what I could tell it seems to be either the carb or something with the ignition, probably rotor/sparkwire/sparkplugs. The headlights have a little problem, but probably nothing too serious. also seems to be needing a new temp.gauge.

Is 5000euros for this car somewhat to or what do you think? Its a 83mod 2,2 for those of you who havent seen it in here yet.

Nothing of what you mention sounds bad at all. It probably just needs a good bit of TLC on these things. I know Bjorn-Anders has run the car some miles after fitting the new water pump, and there seems to be no traces of water in the oil or water leak - that indicates that the head is ok, despite the leaking pump. It doesn't have to harm the engine that the pump has fails, but sometimes it does.

Car prices in norway are higher than the rest of Europe (except Denmark, of course!), so in light of that I don't think 5 kEUR sounds unreasonable. You can get them cheaper down in Germany if you are willing to do a lot of work on them, but a good one is sometimes more expensive. 

I've got a used mechanical pump which didn't leak when I removed it - you can have that so you can get running without too much fuss before you convert to an electrical. As for the carb/ignition problem - fix the vacuum to the headlights first - it could be the problem. A new coil, plug leads, dizzy cap, rotor, and plugs is never wasted money. Temp gauge could likely be a wiring problem - the instruments rarely fail.

I understand your considerations, but hope you will end up deciding to buy the car. As you can read from this forum, the Murena is a great car. Some use them daily (including myself), others keep them only for a hobby. Either way they are great fun! Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 06:44:20 am by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:33:52 am »

He he, I do think the prices are even higher here then in Danmark Anders.... Seem to be some promblem with the relays, since only the light only works on full. Yes it would probably have started to leak already it there was a problem, so seems like it have been saved in time. Have anybody tried or seen an in-tank el.pump? It could be fun to try to convert it to an injection some time later. Wasn't the temp.gauge, seems like sender/wire. Wife hates the brown interior though, can't say it's the prettiest i have seen myself either...

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 01:31:08 pm »

A quick clean of the relay contacts under the fusebox should restore the lights.
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 01:59:01 pm »

Well, looks like DPO (damn previous owner) has been playing around with something in there.... Not Bjørn-Anders ofcourse...

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 10:48:50 pm »

A quick clean of the relay contacts under the fusebox should restore the lights.

No it won't!  You have not seen the modification this car has.  The headlight wiring has been completely changed from standard, so first he has to find out exactly what the new wiring is, then work out why it doesn't work.

Roy.

michaltalbot
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:00:29 pm »

Well, looks like DPO (damn previous owner) has been playing around with something in there.... Not Bjørn-Anders ofcourse...

What, to hell, is this???  Shocked Shocked Shocked

macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 08:45:27 am »

No it won't!  You have not seen the modification this car has.  The headlight wiring has been completely changed from standard, so first he has to find out exactly what the new wiring is, then work out why it doesn't work.

Roy.

Ah yes, so I see. It worked for me anyway!
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 08:56:58 pm »

Could any of you "oldboys" (Anders&Roy perhaps) put down what can be done to increase the Murenas HP? I think others also would benefit from this list to. preferably in order from cheap mod to the more expensive, Or from simple to the more difficult. Or anybody else that have something to contribute.

Regards  Per Anders

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 09:14:36 pm »

Could any of you "oldboys" (Anders&Roy perhaps) put down what can be done to increase the Murenas HP? I think others also would benefit from this list to. preferably in order from cheap mod to the more expensive, Or from simple to the more difficult. Or anybody else that have something to contribute.

Regards  Per Anders

Hmm, easiest solution is probably to fit a faster cam, e.g. a Holbay fast road cam like the one I have. It performs quite well on an otherwise unmodified car and gives it a very nice power increase from 3000 rpm up without any real trouble. I'm sure Roy will agree with me as I'm more or less just quoting his knowledge! I think the S-cam would also work well on the standard carb.

Fuel injection won't give you much, at least not compared to the cost.

Porting and blue printing is also very expensive and you should still work on the cam to gain a real improvement.

I don't know who sells the Holbay cam, but I'm sure Roy can help - or contact 'the source'. Politecnic lists a few options here: http://www.politecnic.com/piecesmoteur.htm

Used to own:
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 09:27:13 pm »

What about fitting a turbo? Dont know if there is to much compression in the engine to take it, but there is also a lot of job to fit the new cam in the engine too.... swapping for another engine is also a possibility, but somewhat rather costly an more troublesome....

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 06:13:25 pm »

Turbo will be a good deal more expensive as you'll need new exhaust, engine management etc. Potential is enormous, however, even on the 2.2 engine: Peugeot tuned that very engine block and head to more than 400 HP in the 505 turbo for rally versions.

Cam tuning with the Holbay cam is a bolt-on upgrade - you can't tune it any simpler and the power increase is excellent. With the Holbay you go from the stock 118 HP to 140 HP without any other changes to the engine.

Most people find that the Murena is a pretty fast car, one that can give you a lot of fun on winding roads (you have a lot of them in Norway) even without any kind of engine tuning. With the 2.2 you will enjoy low revs and lots of torque for a relatively light car. You can't compete at intersections with 3 litre Audi DTI's, but who can? But the Murena has appeal - I have in more than one instance found other drivers obviously interested in this little fast car - it's really unique. And you can fit two (girl?) friends in it!

I'll recommend the Holbay to anyone ready to work on their engine, but other than that, I personally don't think the Murena needs more power. Not for me, at least.

BTW: I think the Holbay will need a 4-in-1 manifold to perform, but many cars have these already. I don't know if yours/Björn Anders' car has.

Cheers,
Anders

Used to own:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: