| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Third brake light  (Read 17565 times)
JV

« on: February 28, 2008, 12:51:33 pm »

I had this idea to realise a third brake light already for a long time: I was absolutely convinced it was possible.

However, there is little room under the roof and in front of the edge of the back window: too little for the normal third brake lights: I have never seen one that was small enough.

So, I have taken a bare flexible LED strip without housing consisting of 24 LEDs and 24 cm long. This strip is waterproof and very small: it fits easily in the available room.

It is just a matter of installing the strip on the chassis with a double faced adhesive tape and connecting it with the normal brake light.

By janverdam at 2008-02-26

As you can see the LED strip is invisible if it is not on.

By janverdam at 2008-02-26

By janverdam at 2008-02-25

By janverdam at 2008-02-25

I like this solution because you do not have to change anything in your car to get a third brake light and because of its invisibility.

Jan

Jan Verdam
Matra Murena 2.2S bleue columbia
davidewanprice
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:31:13 pm »

Looks neat and tidy, i must say it looks nice, as does your car, ive got one of those light sets to fit at some point and seeing it on yours gives me a good idea (since they are red). I'd like to see some of the other things that people have done to improve their cars. I think this was also done some time ago my Lennart ? see http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Murena/Conv/P1.9i-8v-ls/brklight/index.html

Great minds think alike!
JV

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 10:10:42 pm »

Thanks.
Indeed Lennart choose a comparable solution for the problem how to fit a high brake light as invisible as possible.

Jan

Jan Verdam
lewisman

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:44:06 am »

Hi Jan.

What rear spoiler is that?
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 01:11:44 am »

Indeed Lennart choose a comparable solution for the problem how to fit a high brake light as invisible as
yes, - except mine is on the inside of the rear hatch glass - fitted on the rubber-seal on the vertical glass separating engine and passenger compartment.
     http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php?topic=265.0

But in any case, I think it is a genuine life-saver, considering how easy the Murenas low aspect ratio can get lost or hidden in modern traffic. Also, the intensity of the original brake-light was never fantastic, not even from new - and as time has gone by, the reflectors have become less and less efficient.

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
lewisman

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 01:35:27 am »

I seem to remember Roger had intended to re-wire his rear lights so that the side lights and brake lights worked independently as per a lot of more modern cars.  The fog lights would then work with the side lights.

Don't know if he did it or if it was successful.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 02:03:33 am by Lennart Sorth » Logged
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 06:49:51 am »

I seem to remember Roger had intended to re-wire his rear lights so that the side lights and brake lights worked independently as per a lot of more modern cars.  The fog lights would then work with the side lights.

Don't know if he did it or if it was successful.

Roy had rewired mine to work that way. It's a simple operation: Only a matter of interchanging tabs in the connector. I have wired it back though, now that I have a 3rd brake light and I felt that the brake lights are most safely placed nearest to the side of the car.

- Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
hru

Murena Lover :-)

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 08:11:16 am »

Facing to get killed, I publish.......

Matra Murena 2.2
JV

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 12:14:49 pm »

yes, - except mine is on the inside of the rear hatch glass - fitted on the rubber-seal on the vertical glass separating engine and passenger compartment.
/Lennart

Exactly. I knew the way Lennart did it, but preferred to try my solution.

I do not know what rear spoiler it is, there is no mark or brand name. My last Murena had the same rear spoiler and that was a Kiefer.

Jan

Jan Verdam
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 12:40:12 pm »

Facing to get killed, I publish.......

YYYYYAAAK!!! HOW COULD YOU!!!!!
davidewanprice
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 08:21:44 pm »

Or is that handywork on the computer?
Lennart Sorth
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 11:08:55 pm »

Exactly. I knew the way Lennart did it, but preferred to try my solution.
I didn't mean to make the one solution sound better than the other, - sorry if it seemed so.

However, I must say that a 3'rd brakelight really makes most sense if it is up there where modern drivers look - so putting it down where HRU's car has it might look nicely done (to some, apparently not Krede :-) ) - but it defeats the purpose a bit ?

/Lennart

Lennart.Sorth@matrasport.dk
Murena 1983 1.9i silver // Honda e '20 Charge Yellow  // VW Polo '22 1.0 tsi silver//
JV

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 11:24:26 pm »

I didn't mean to make the one solution sound better than the other, - sorry if it seemed so.
/Lennart

Nor did I and I did not understand your text in that way. And hru's brake light looks nice also.

Jan

Jan Verdam
hru

Murena Lover :-)

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 11:45:18 pm »

It is installed, and no computer artisting.

I wasnt sure if it would look good, but since I have an ekstra bodypart for the back, I decided to give it a try.

Not easy to find the right shape an curvature, every car has it own 3 dimensional shape.
This is a Peugeot 307 brake light, which fit well in I think.
(Peugeot is also a reminisence from Talbot......  so it runs in the family)

To me, the murena is still very modern in design - adding an extra build-in brake light, exchanging side blinkers to mirror type could make it look very much like a car from this century.

/Henrik

Matra Murena 2.2
lewisman

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 11:56:53 pm »

I do not know what rear spoiler it is, there is no mark or brand name. My last Murena had the same rear spoiler and that was a Kiefer.

Jan

Cheers.  Your spoiler looks good painted body colour.  I like the S spoiler but only if it stays black - I don't know why......

I have a different black murena spoiler (smaller) which I am not too keen on and a Renault 19 spoiler that looks quite similar to the one that you have but I think it might be a bit short across the back of the car.

Would you mind measuring it at it's widest point?

David

Obviously I am reluctant to start drilling holes to fit either unless I am convinced they are the best option!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: