| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Worklog of my car  (Read 207481 times)
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2010, 09:50:22 pm »

I agree, but would drop in a few extras: New fuel filter and new fuel hoses. And give the carb a good cleaning - take it off the car and let it soak in petroleum for a day. Then clear all passages, preferably using compressed air, but a can of WD40 can do the job.

That cure should make it run better than ever Smiley

/Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2010, 10:33:11 pm »

Actually Anders, that has been done. New fuel pump too, Bjørn Anders bought it before he sold it because the old one was leaking.

When I bought her from him, she wasn't running nearly as good as she does now. Had a LARGE leak between the manifold and engine cover.

2010 Mazda 3 1,6  Diesel Gunmetal Blue
1983 Matra Murena 2.2 Platine
50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2010, 02:05:20 pm »

So, then I have ordered new filters, cap, rotor and sparkplugs. Bet she'll feels like a whole new lady, all refreshed now.  Cheesy

On the subject of spark leads, do I remember correctly, can these be made by myself....? Seem to recall that one could cut the leads and handcrimp the connectors. If anybody has done/knows how, PLEASE do tell  Wink

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2010, 04:21:47 pm »

Yes that is possible.
Just remember that this engine gets pretty hot, so take 4 LONG NGK caps with 5 Kohm resistance or even better find long metal ones used on Golf/passat/Vento etc.
Than you can take 7 mm pure copper HT cable.
It will not be much cheaper then buying a complete set.

On this topic you find how I did it.
Scroll a bit down.

http://www.matrasport.dk/forum/index.php/topic,1811.15.html

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2010, 10:40:58 pm »

So, then I have ordered new filters, cap, rotor and sparkplugs. Bet she'll feels like a whole new lady, all refreshed now.  Cheesy

On the subject of spark leads, do I remember correctly, can these be made by myself....? Seem to recall that one could cut the leads and handcrimp the connectors. If anybody has done/knows how, PLEASE do tell  Wink

You could probably make spark plug wires yourself, but making sure the connections are good could be a challenge and potential trouble spot.

I would recommend that you visit the nearest Biltema store (there are several in Norway), where you can buy the leads in exactly the length you need. They sell them individually and they are not expensive. On top of that they are of a high quality silicone type. And they have a very nice blue color. Wink

I first bought a new set from Simons, but I found that if I tried to move a wire in one of the clamps on the valve cover, with the engine running, I would get zapped. So those went into the bin and the Biltema wires on instead. You can maneuver them without risk getting shocked.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2010, 10:49:32 pm »

Yep I know all about the shitty cables.
If they get hot, this can happen.
38 Mohm in the last 3 cm before the spark plugs.
Believe me, the car doesn't like that, making sounds like yours.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:05:07 pm by Oetker » Logged

RazorbackNOR

« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2010, 10:26:20 pm »

Since I'm waiting for some parts to arrive, I decided to freshen ut the little lady with som new hoses, perhaps making her feel pretty might help.... Grin

So, went out to the local rallyshop, and got some nice blue silicon vacuumhose. Replaced the hose from the intake manifold to distibutor.

Noticed that there also was another vacuum hose of the same size, going from the intake pipe to a T-pipe, and what do I see...??

Might this be the culprit....? With my luck I serioisly doubt it thou..... Especially since it looks like it's connected way before the carburtattor.

Anywho, seems like the battery has seen better days, doesn't manage to crank the engine a full revulution now. Cold norwegian winter, sitting outside and drained battery is not a good combination....
Will try so salvage the battery tomorrow, and see if she runs any better then.

Here's how pretty she got with some of her new hoses on(more will come)
Arrow pointing to point where the hose was broken

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
krede
YaBB God

« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2010, 07:52:48 am »

I would install an electric fuel pump mate!.
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2010, 08:16:21 am »

This pump looks pretty new.
There are some type of older pumps that has the problem of loose connection pipes (NB:real fire risk).
This will do well for some time.
Only a fuel filter would be nice.

RazorbackNOR

« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2010, 10:36:34 am »

Fuel filter is coming with the rest of the parts. Yes, the pump is brand new, the old one was leaking to the previous owner had allready bought it when I got  the car. Electrical pump is considered, perhaps a future project together with the other intake and carb I have...

Well, today is the big day... See if I really found the leak. Look for a new video later. Is she purring or is she growling.....?

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Philbert

Familie'en Philbert's Matra

« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2010, 01:55:55 pm »

So, went out to the local rallyshop, and got some nice blue silicon vacuumhose.
------
You should know that silicone hoses will "grow" when subjected to gasoline vapors. There is a real chance that they will just fall off the nipples, unless you put a strap around them. The best thing to use is poly urethane hoses, that also come in different colors.
RazorbackNOR

« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2010, 08:28:56 am »

Okay, no big hurrah's this time....  Sad

Seems the little old lady was rather moody this time.... but ain't that just typical of women.....?

Tried to salvage the battery, low water level in it, and didn't take ut much charge, to topped it of, and did an alnighter on the charger, but, seems like this one is a goner....

The big problem now, is that since I fixed the last vacuumhose the other day, now the cranky bitch won't start.... Huh Huh
And no apparent reason either.... Didn't even hear an attempt to fire....

Any ideas people.....??

Only think I could see as a remote possibility, is that some previous owner could have tried to adjust the carb to compensate for the various vacuumleaks, and now that they are sealed, the mixture is way to rich. But shouldn't it at least have gotten a few sparks of then....?
And where do I adjust the richness of the mixture on the carb?
Didn't take of the sparkplugs to see if there where any sparks on it, got seriously depressed when the lady wouldn't cooperate, but this will be taken care of when I(anyday now) get the new parts.

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2010, 09:30:39 am »

Sorry to hear about your depression! You're doing the right thing, so keep up the good work  Cool
Forget the carb adjustment: First, you're right - if it was over rich it would still fire. Second, there are no adjustment possibilities, except the idle mixture.

I think you have either weak or no spark. Start with replacing the battery so you have enough voltage to drive the ignition while the engine is cranking.

Cheers,
Anders

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2010, 09:36:18 am »

Any fuel coming to the carb?
You replaced the hoses, so it takes a bit of time to get the fuel in the carb because the whole system is empty.

RazorbackNOR

« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2010, 12:17:51 pm »

I think you have either weak or no spark. Start with replacing the battery so you have enough voltage to drive the ignition while the engine is cranking.

Cheers,
Anders

The strangest thing is that I haven't done anything to the electrical from the time she roared like crazy to the time she wouldn't start. Both times we used jumper cables, same cables, same car.

Any fuel coming to the carb?
You replaced the hoses, so it takes a bit of time to get the fuel in the carb because the whole system is empty.

Yes, plenty of fuel coming down the carb, no problem there.

So, went out to the local rallyshop, and got some nice blue silicon vacuumhose.
------
You should know that silicone hoses will "grow" when subjected to gasoline vapors. There is a real chance that they will just fall off the nipples, unless you put a strap around them. The best thing to use is poly urethane hoses, that also come in different colors.
I thought the reason silicon hoses were used was because they didn't react much... Anyway, yes they will be secured with clamps. For now it almost looked like they has shriked. Stuck like hell when I tried to get them of.

50cc Pocketbike
IPSC shooter
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: