| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25 Print
Author Topic: EOW 1W MATRA 1.9 RESTORATION  (Read 208711 times)
TELBOY

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2017, 05:38:54 pm »

oh well! suppose I'll have to spray the door as well!!!!
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2017, 10:42:04 pm »

Thanks again Roy, had a look at your FAQ section and believe I understand well enough even though the pictures in "Simons" catalogue arn't particularly clear! I will make some from galvernized sheeting at the weekend.
Tel

Whilst I have spoken with Terry, I thought I would answer this here for other Murena owners who might be a little confused over this wing and sill bracket fitting.

The original parts manual drawing of the brackets for attaching the 'S' sills and rear spoiler were hopelessly wrong!  And Simon's parts manual is just a copy of that wrong Matra one.  So when you look at it, it will not make any sense.  The front wing bracket for instance, is shown at about 90 degrees to the actual way it fits!  I corrected many of the mistakes in my own copies of the manuals (workshop and parts manuals) many years ago, and I tend to forget that others are still looking at or using the incorrect ones!

If things don't make sense, please ask me and it may be something I can clear up quickly.

Roy

TELBOY

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2017, 03:23:47 pm »

This is the best right hand wing out of the two I have! it has a small spit on the wheel arch, shown with a 5p piece to gage size! because of the fibreglass fibres it will not line up properly for a good repair so I am thinking of using a small dremell to cut it out up to but not including the wing lip which folds underneath and then use fibre tissue on the back and the glass fibre paste to fill in the whole! Would this be a good way to repair it as I havnt worked with fibreglass too much before? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
JL

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2017, 09:35:31 pm »

I would force the split open slightly and fill the gap with a 2 pack epoxy - Araldite or similar - and wait for it to set and then finish with a filler designed for plastic bumpers, these fillers have good adhesion and are flexible.

Good Luck
john
TELBOY

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2017, 01:49:09 pm »

I would force the split open slightly and fill the gap with a 2 pack epoxy - Araldite or similar - and wait for it to set and then finish with a filler designed for plastic bumpers, these fillers have good adhesion and are flexible.

Good Luck
john

Thanks for the advice John. Will attack it at the weekend.
Tel
GP

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2017, 10:53:24 pm »

http://www.u-pol.co.uk/documents/datasheets/tds/P40-TDS-EN.pdf

Or after prepping and aralditing as mentioned previously apply Isopon P40 Polyester Filler ensuring all the air bubbles are pressed out, sand down. Finish with stopper if required then a good quality primer filler spray paint.

P.S. It is also a good idea to bridge and reinforce the back area with normal fibre glass sheeting and resin which does not have to look pretty.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:33:45 am by GP » Logged
TELBOY

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2017, 03:26:08 pm »

Thanks GP
 Grin
TELBOY

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2017, 05:47:59 pm »

Thanks for the advice John and GP. Cleaned the crack after prising apart and used two pack epoxy then built up the back using 3 layer of fibreglass, each one getting slightly larger to form an overlap and then filled the crack and pin holes with P40. More than happy with the results Smiley Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:44:22 pm by TELBOY » Logged
TELBOY

« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2017, 01:16:31 pm »

so this is the exhaust I have from the 1.6! any ideas how to mate it upto the 1.9 engine? I can make a bracket to secure it to the gearbox but manifold to exhaust "input" will require welding tubes which is probarbly beyond my skills! thinking of flexible and solid lengths joined together but the welding is beyond me so lots of clamps! anyone got any better ideas?
JL

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2017, 10:02:36 pm »

To be honest I would not use flexible pipe, if your budget is tight try using these pre formed bends - tack them together and then get someone else to weld them for you if you do not feel confident, alternatively take the car to an exhaust fabricator - probably the best option but expensive.

Good luck
John
Gib

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2017, 09:46:07 am »

Terry I will try calling you as my brother and I can help with the exhaust fab.

Also I need to talk to you about windscreens as I need one and it may make sense to buy 2 and get them delivered together in fact dependent on the timescale have them both fitted together. I am in no hurry at the moment but can get the car down to my brothers pretty sharpish and there is indoor room for at least 2 cars so no weather issues.

I spoke to uroglass a few months back and was surprised by the fact that not only do they have them they seem to be a bread and butter screen with at least 1 a month being sold, who is buying them?Huh?
TELBOY

« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2017, 08:50:22 pm »

hi Gib that would be fantastic.. however my car still doesn't move!!!. If you've lost my number PM me...
Tel
TELBOY

« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2017, 08:53:39 pm »

always one to experiment thought I would look at "wrapping"  one of the front wings to see how hard it was.....this cost £4 and with very little practice and an assistant think the results could be very good!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:02:40 pm by TELBOY » Logged
TELBOY

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2017, 05:29:42 pm »

preparation before wrapping..... top wrapped bottom still waiting
TELBOY

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2017, 12:53:48 pm »

completed door!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: