| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Dan's 1.6 repairs  (Read 47690 times)
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2021, 12:14:39 am »

OK let's talk wheels again. I am currently running winter tires on steel 14" fiat wheels and although nice I'm constantly on the look out for something new.

It's not the wheels that you need to look at first, it's the available tyres.

If you intend putting bigger wheels and tyres on the car, you need to do two things actually.  First is to see what tyre sizes are easily available, and how they suit the car from the point of view of keeping the ride height front to rear, correct.  Then you can choose the wheels which will be easier.

I did suggest using 15" front and 16" rear as one possible option, but it was some time ago and without checking if suitable tyres would be available at the time, and since it was a while ago, and tyres change all the time, what would have applied then might not be available now anyway.  The fact is 16" front wheels are really too big for the Murena and 195 width tyres on the front made the car worse the one time I drove someone else's car with those on it.  The front of the Murena is so light relatively that it really doesn't need bigger tyres and therefore wheels.

Whilst the rear can easily take 15" or 16" wheels, there are a limited number or no 215 width tyres available depending on aspect ratio, so that means choosing either 205 or 225 widths and then you have problems matching the ride heights front to rear.

We're a couple of years later now and I was wondering if I should indeed try and get wheels that mat h that set up because that might be ideal?

As I said you must check what tyres are available first, and not the wheels, and then whether the tyres that would keep the ride heights correct are actually available.  This is more complex than just picking some nice looking wheels!  For the power output of a 1.6 especially, the Murena doesn't really need any bigger wheels and tyres.

Roy
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 12:18:02 am by roy4matra » Logged

GP

« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2021, 08:20:20 am »

OPEONO

A good mail order place to start when looking for tyres. Used them often as I have a friendly tyre fitter locally.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkZKNBhDiARIsAPsk0WiaidvCTE-rK_2z7s378WcfBdn8xgN4NjZS_SOD_O3DkjBy_G6XRgcaArz7EALw_wcB
Grapes

« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2021, 05:23:14 pm »

Ah, that is good to know, thanks for the explanations. Any advice on the Alfetta wheels?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2021, 01:27:08 am »

Ah, that is good to know, thanks for the explanations. Any advice on the Alfetta wheels?

Whilst most Fiat, Lancia, Alfa wheels have the same 98mm PCD their offset is usually unsuited to the Matra.  The Murena should have 29mm offset.  The Italian wheels often have 38mm offset.  This will make the wheels sit further in, reducing the tracking width, and with wider wheels could mean the inside edges fouling the suspension as well as increasing side loading on the wheel bearings.  You really need something close to 29mm offset.

So you must check the offset of any wheels.  And remember, a larger offset moves the wheel, inwards not out.

Roy

Grapes

« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2021, 06:15:50 pm »

Ah perfect, I can remember this 👍 thanks!
Grapes

« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2021, 12:47:19 pm »

Couldn't find a defect for the cable so took the old starter motor out. Apparently this is a Mitsubishi M3T19871 so that can be added to the compatibility list for the 1.6 Smiley
Grapes

« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2021, 09:02:28 pm »

Tracked down a spare windscreen. The catch is that it's still attached to a car. Is there a good way to remove it? What tools should I use?
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2021, 10:44:12 pm »

Tracked down a spare windscreen. The catch is that it's still attached to a car. Is there a good way to remove it? What tools should I use?

Do you realise UROglas in the U.K. stock brand new Murena windscreens, usually less than £300 I believe.  I had a stone thrown up by an Audi A7 smash mine not that long ago and had the replacement fitted in less than 10 days through my insurance. UROglass do ship abroad too.

Roy

Matraman

« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2021, 02:23:01 pm »

I had a quote from Uroglas in March. A Murena bronze tinted one (the only type they had) was £307 inc VAT plus £84 delivery inc VAT.

In the end my windscreen fitter managed to find the leak and fix it without removing the screen. He said it was highly likely that he would crack the screen if he tried to remove it, so finding the leak was the best option. There's a chance the replacement screen you have found will have detached itself from the bonding glue already due to age, in which case you might get it out OK. In my case the screen is well bonded still but whoever fitted it missed a bit in the bottom right corner.

Andrew
Grapes

« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2021, 06:17:07 pm »

OK good to know they're still available and at a reasonable price. This one is less than a third of it so I think I will take my chances and just work carefully and above al slowly and gently to get it out. Since the seller has some more spares I'm interested in I figured it would be worth to go over and have a look.
Grapes

« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2021, 02:22:55 pm »

Skipped the windscreen after all.
Gib

« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2022, 03:02:02 pm »

@ Grapes he doesn't have a gearbox does he?Huh?
Grapes

« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2022, 04:01:19 pm »

@ Grapes he doesn't have a gearbox does he?Huh?
Not sure, he night have actually but he's in the Netherlands. I have seen a few pop up on our local 2nd hand website during 2021.
Gib

« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2022, 04:08:09 pm »

@grapes All sorted on the gearbox but a spare wouldn't go a miss and i do work out in Zuidland every now and then
Grapes

« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2022, 07:51:28 pm »

Ah neat! Well I asked but the answer was no unfortunately but I will keep my eyes open.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: