| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Rear passenger side engine mounting.  (Read 34793 times)
macaroni
YaBB God

Murena and Multipla - I like it 3 abreast!

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 06:21:42 pm »

Well, I had a go at removing it, but I just cannot undo the bolt that goes to the head.
I tried removing the bracket that is attached to the head, but that won't come off without undoing the exhaust manifold and I just can't be bothered!

I'll have to get hold of a length of pipe for extra leverage, or leave the whole job to a garage when the new mounting arrives.

Unless anyone has any other ideas?

Antony
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 11:36:35 pm »

Put some penetrating oil on it and leave it for a day or 2.
If it still want come off make the bolt warm with a blowtorch and give the bolt a firm pull.
Hold a bucket of water nearby and put some plasterplate between the fuelpump and the job because of the heat.
Be carefull there.
Another solution is to cut the bolt at the top.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 11:41:21 pm by Oetker » Logged

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 11:12:49 am »

Right, got it off with the employment of a long bar. Just have to wait for the replacement to arrive.

Thanks.

Antony
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 09:10:56 am »

Right, got it off with the employment of a long bar. Just have to wait for the replacement to arrive.

Thanks.

Antony

The Murena 2.2 has two power unit mountings - one on the sump on the right and one on the gearbox on the left and a stabilizer bar at the cylinder head.

You say "the replacement to arrive" which sounds like you ordered one.  The stabilizer bar has two metallastic rubber bushes in it, about £20 each.  Did you order two bushes, as it is the bushes you get, not the complete assembly?  You simply replace the bushes in the bar.  It is very rare to need the actual engine or gearbox mountings which are much more expensive. (over £100 each I'm sure)

The £111 you quote from Matra Magic sounds like the engine mounting, not the stabilizer bar bushes.  The problem with Will is that you asked for a mounting so he quote for just that.  If you are talking about the steady bar that is not a mounting, it is a stabilizer bar.

To change the bushes yourself is fairly easy, you don't actually need a press.  You do need a solid vice or support, and a socket which is just slightly smaller outside diameter than the outside of the bush.  Use the socket as the tool to press the bushes out of the bar.

Roy

macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 12:01:51 pm »

It is the stabilizer bar to the head that is the culprit.

I only ordered 1 bush, but after seeing how stiff it is, I will order another. I assume they are the same.

I may try to fit the bush myself, but I'm a bit cack-handed and it has been in there for 26 years!
roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 09:09:23 pm »

It is the stabilizer bar to the head that is the culprit.

I only ordered 1 bush, but after seeing how stiff it is, I will order another. I assume they are the same.

I may try to fit the bush myself, but I'm a bit cack-handed and it has been in there for 26 years!

Yes they are the same, and no it has not been in 26 years!  They simply do not last that long!!  This  is the most commonly replaced part - I always keep replacements in my garage.  The one nearest the exhaust goes first because of the heat and the other might last twice as long.  I would say they need changing about every 20,000 miles but it will vary depending on how the car is driven.  They must be kept in good condition so that the engine is not allowed to rock under torque loading, otherwise the exhaust will crack. (the exhaust cannot follow the engine movement)

If you don't fancy changing them yourself, simply take the stabilizer bar and new bushes into a garage and ask them to press the old ones out and new ones in, and that should not cost much.

Roy

macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 09:41:34 pm »

Well, I replaced the stabiliser bar bush and it still rocked, rolled and banged. So I popped it down to the garage again, they had already fitted the bush for free, and on their ramp, it appeared that the lower engine mounting had lost 2 of its 3 bolts! One had sheared off into the sump and one was about to fall out. The garage very kindly sorted all this out for me, for free, and the engine is now solid in its place.

I'm not sure if the worn stabiliser bush caused the mounting bolts to become loose, or the loose bolts wore the stabiliser bush.
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 09:48:48 pm »

If one goes down, you can wait for the others to go if you don't take action.
Because of extra movement other mountings will have extra stress.

roy4matra
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 02:42:08 pm »

Well, I replaced the stabiliser bar bush and it still rocked, rolled and banged. So I popped it down to the garage again, they had already fitted the bush for free, and on their ramp, it appeared that the lower engine mounting had lost 2 of its 3 bolts! One had sheared off into the sump and one was about to fall out. The garage very kindly sorted all this out for me, for free, and the engine is now solid in its place.

I'm not sure if the worn stabiliser bush caused the mounting bolts to become loose, or the loose bolts wore the stabiliser bush.

As I said before the stabiliser bushes wear out often, so that is normal.  I have not seen those engine mounting bolts come loose before, and I would suspect they have been out at some time and not fitted back with thread lock.  I do not consider them coming loose as normal.

However, once any mounting is worn or loose, it will put additional strain and wear on the others, plus other items owing to excess movement.  These are the sort of things you look for when doing a service.  A service is not not simply changing oil and filters, lubricating things and making adjustments. :-)

Roy

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 07:30:35 pm »

It is very rare to need the actual engine or gearbox mountings which are much more expensive. (over £100 each I'm sure)

I'll share this photo then of the right side engine mount which has failed now on mine. I just found out today as I had the wheel off that side allow better access when doing oil change. I have supported the engine from below on the engine, so it looks like it's okay, but it isn't, and it drops down all the way to the metal when I let the jack off. I have noticed that there has been a lot of vibration lately!

Simon charges 118€ for the rubber. I have a spare engine mount which I got with some other stuff some while back on eBay, so I'll be using that. It looks like I'll need a very big vice to press the bush in?

The stabiliser bushes look perfect though, and the other side too.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 09:58:10 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 08:30:54 am »

quote Anders,
------------------
I'll need a very big vice to press the bush in
--------------------------------------------------------

You have a seperate rubber for this mounting?

Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 09:50:12 am »

quote Anders,
------------------
I'll need a very big vice to press the bush in
--------------------------------------------------------

You have a seperate rubber for this mounting?

Not yet... later this week if Simon and the mail is as quick as they usually are.

Used to own:
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 05:55:06 pm »

Just reread my post... think I was a bit fast here... edited Wink

I fixed the engine mount today. The rubber was pressed into a spare engine mount, which I got already stripped on eBay some time ago. A friend did the pressing in his garage as it is not a job that can be done in a vice.

Removing and replacing the engine mount is not a quick and easy job, but it is do-able with care and a little patience - even by a ten thumbed amateur like me Wink

The result is very good, and I can now actually see who's driving behind me in the rear view mirror, even when the engine is idling Wink. Cabin noise is also reduced, and my sons say the vibrations in seats are gone. I never felt the vibrations much in the drivers seat.

Here's a few photos for everyone's enjoyment:

Rubber and mount, not yet pressed together. No, I don't do race cars, but I like to read about them! Cheesy

Failed engine mount.

New rubber installed

Almost there...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 08:27:06 pm by Anders Dinsen » Logged

Used to own:
macaroni
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 09:35:25 pm »

Is that 100+euro rubber from Simon/Will?
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 06:56:59 am »

Is that 100+euro rubber from Simon/Will?

Yes.

Used to own:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: