| Home  Blogs Help Search Login Register  
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Norwegian 2.2S  (Read 75673 times)
alfafred

Murena 2,2 S

« on: December 12, 2012, 10:57:39 am »

I`m totally new to Matra. I can guarantee that I`ll need help to the maybe most easy things, and I will make my questions here.

On my Murena there is a aftermarket sunroof, I understand this was often put on the cars when they was new. The Idea is not bad, the function I am shure is nice in a hot summerday.

BUT, I would like a more nice sunroof. The Hollandia 300 series, Have someone tryed this on the Murena to replace the first one?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:50:31 pm by alfafred » Logged
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:38:06 pm »

On my Murena there is a aftermarket sunroof, I understand this was often put on the cars when they was new. The Idea is not bad, the function I am shure is nice in a hot summerday.

BUT, I would like a more nice sunroof. The Hollandia 300 series, Have someone tryed this on the Murena to replace the first one?

The general feeling, I believe, is that sunroof is a bad idea because they most often leak. I know a couple of members who are looking for original roofs to get rid of their sunroof.
The problem is they are after market installs. With a factory sunroof they most likely have solved the leak problems.

Matranaut par excellence Cool
alfafred

Murena 2,2 S

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:36:12 pm »

I can see your point.... These non original roofs are not the most beautiful on a classic car like these. I was thinking maybe the Hollandia 300 series would make the design and hole in the roof a little bit more nice to look at.

Another thing I am thinking of...
I am going to Danmark soon to pick up the Murena. I do not know the frezzing point of the coolant, and therefor I want to drain it off before return to Norway (and here it is cold that time a year). I must do this job on the floor, and I have just short time to pick up the car befor I must return to the ferry in Hirtshals.

Can anyone tell me if this is easy and possible. What/where waterlines and places is the best to open and drain radiator, engine and system?. Tools needed?.

regards
FredR
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 03:40:37 pm »

I can see your point.... These non original roofs are not the most beautiful on a classic car like these. I was thinking maybe the Hollandia 300 series would make the design and hole in the roof a little bit more nice to look at.

Another thing I am thinking of...
I am going to Danmark soon to pick up the Murena. I do not know the frezzing point of the coolant, and therefor I want to drain it off before return to Norway (and here it is cold that time a year). I must do this job on the floor, and I have just short time to pick up the car befor I must return to the ferry in Hirtshals.

Can anyone tell me if this is easy and possible. What/where waterlines and places is the best to open and drain radiator, engine and system?. Tools needed?.

regards
FredR

Draining the coolant should be easy. Remove the filler cap on the expansion tank and loosen the drain plug on the bottom of the radiator.

Considering the difficulty in removing all air from a Murena cooling system, you should consider just buying a coolant freeze gauge. T-Hansen, or Biltema, would have it.
Drain enough coolant into a glass and let the gauge float to see what the freezing point is. If it is not ok for the temperatures you expect at the North Pole, or how far north you plan to go  Wink, then add antifreeze, drain and measure again. Repeat until you reach the freezing point you want.
Naturally the engine must be run, and be warm enough to open the thermostat after each time in order to mix in the antifreeze. Good luck and make sure your tires are winter rated.

alfafred

Murena 2,2 S

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 08:08:55 pm »

Hi Jon!

Thanks for answer!

Well, the Murena are going to be transported to its new home on a trailer behind my Citroen Smiley. I just want to be shure to get all coolant water out, so nothing can freeze and be damaged. Is it easy to get the radiator drain plug on radiator when car is on the floor? What about the steel water pipes under the car?. And the most easy way to drain the engine?. remember that the car are all the time standing on the wheels/floor. Needed tools I need to do this draining work?.

I wont damage my new baby in the norwegian winter. Actually, in Hamar approx 120 km north of Oslo, where I live, the temperature in January often reaches minus 25 to minus 35 that time a year. I think in 1978 the temp was -43......

Smiley

Matra_Hans
YaBB God

Owner of Bagheera, Rancho, Murena & Espace

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:37:04 pm »

Hi In order to get the coolant out of the engine I will disconnect the cooling pipes just in front of the engine. However the car sits so low on the ground that you cannot get access to drain plugs or the cooling pipes without lifting the car. If you are transporting the Murena on a car trailer maybe you can get access when the car is on the trailer. You will only need screwdrivers for the job, or maybe a small socket set depending on the type of hose clamps.

Hans
Anders Dinsen
Administrator
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 10:51:29 pm »

The easiest way to drain the water off, IMO, is to disconnect the coolant hose to the lower radiator outlet from the pipe under the car Smiley

1982 Talbot Matra Murena 2.2 prep 142
2017 BMW i3 "Charged Professional" 94Ah

Used to own:
2001 Renault Matra Grand Espace "The Race" V6 24v
1997 Renault Matra Espace 2.0 8V
1987 Renault Matra Espace J11 2.2
alfafred

Murena 2,2 S

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:22:45 pm »

Thanks for help!

I am glad I already are a member of the the club and all this positive members! Look forward to get the Murena home, spend lots of money on it, many quality hours and love, and the meet you at Dansk Matra Treff in 2014 when the car is 30 years old.

Smiley

alfafred

Murena 2,2 S

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 09:57:26 am »

Now the car is in my garage. The condition is is much better than I expected. But I want to do some work on it now. The car is 29 years old with only 60500km, so I think that wheelbearings and brakes must be changed, just to be sure they are safe after all these years.

Change all wheel bearings, someone who know SKF number or other supplyer numbers on these on my 2.2S?

Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 10:18:05 am »

Now the car is in my garage. The condition is is much better than I expected. But I want to do some work on it now. The car is 29 years old with only 60500km, so I think that wheelbearings and brakes must be changed, just to be sure they are safe after all these years.

Change all wheel bearings, someone who know SKF number or other supplyer numbers on these on my 2.2S?

My Murena has 148000 Km and still has the original bearings, as far as I can tell. I doubt that you need to change bearings after only 60500 Km. Only if you have bearing noise og signs that water or grit has gotten in there, would I consider changing now.
Now Brakes is another thing. If the disks are ok, make sure the calipers are in good shape. I just had mine refurbished by Roy. New brake pads are available from several sources. I tried Green Stuff, because they give off less black dust to dirty the wheels. But I found that they do not grip as well as the Ferodo pads I replaced. I just went back to Ferodo pads. Roy has a list of replacement parts that you can see on his FAQ pages here: http://www.matraclub.org.uk/faq3.html#two

alfafred

Murena 2,2 S

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 11:53:55 am »

Hi Jon!

Well, I can understand you about wheelbearings. There is no sound or any other bug with them. But on all my old cars I have changed them, beacause breakdown on these is worst case senario on the road, then I have a big problem.

So therefor, new bearings Smiley and brakes.

Have found this numbers  QWB 231    or     BRT 384   but what is the SKF number?

Are these the numbers on the bearing package? and all 4 bearings are the same?

Cheers  Smiley
Jon Weywadt
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 05:03:13 pm »

Hi Jon!
---
 But on all my old cars I have changed them, beacause breakdown on these is worst case senario on the road, then I have a big problem.
---

"I have had many worries that never amounted to anything"  Grin

I forget who said it, but it is very wise and  tells me only to worry about things that are likely to happen.
Wheel bearings spontaneously breaking down is not one of those things, IMO.  Wink
If you have good bearings now, they are likely to stay that way.

northmurena

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 10:32:01 pm »

jepp. Don´t fix a problem if there is no problem. I think either that a wheel-bearing will just break down from one minute to the next.

But however, you are old enough to make your own decision. If you have a better feeling and want to bring money into the circulation just change it. You can sleep ( or drive ) better and it is also good for the world-economy. ;-)

Hilsen
Kai
alfafred

Murena 2,2 S

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 11:16:52 pm »

Hi

Smiley

Well, I am maybe a little detail crazy, but I like details to be my way Wink A picture of my old 87 alfa, and I want my Murena to look like this too...

So, are all 4 wheelbearings the same on a S?  QWB 231 or BRT 384 or SKF number? Someone who knows?

Huh Grin

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:19:30 pm by alfafred » Logged
Oetker
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 11:39:17 pm »

All 4 bearings are the same.
They go bad seldom.
QWB-231 (QH) and BRT-384 are confirmed by me to fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talbot-Murena-wheel-bearing-kit-1981-1985-Coupe-/271135558303?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AMurena&hash=item3f20f04a9f

I feel like Jonah, only my fish looks different.
Murena 2.2 Red 1982. Murena 1.6 black on places.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: